Help With Emissions Monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help With Emissions Monitors

TL;DR: Have a converted HP DME (did the hardware conversion myself) and need to get my car smogged. Put all the mechanical stuff back to stock and flashed a stock HP tune onto the DME. Emissions monitors are all showing as "not available" (note that they're "not available" and not "not ready") and no matter how many different things I flash onto the DME, this never changes.

Yes, I know the topic of setting emissions monitors has been discussed many, many times, but I haven't found much info about the specific issue I'm having.

So, about a year ago I converted my non-HP DME to HP spec by replacing the EEPROMs and a couple resistors (more details about exactly what I did). I then BDMd a full CSL binary onto it and then made the necessary changes to get my car running right with the CSL intake.

It's now time to get my car smogged, so I put the stock airbox back on and BDMd a full stock HP binary onto the DME. Car runs and drives completely fine, but the emissions monitors are all saying "not available". No matter what I do, I can't seem to get them to go to saying "not ready", let alone to get them ready. I'm mostly reading the monitors using OBD Fusion and an ELM237 bluetooth adapter, although I did try reading them with DIS too.

Here's a chronological list of all the things I've tried and the results:
    • BDMd the 2501 full binary I found on the GitHub repo (this one specifically) onto my DME, flashed the correct partial (this one specifically), synced EWS, wrote VIN
      • Car runs and drives fine, but all monitors show "not available" on OBD Fusion
    • Modified the partial to delete the 151 DTC caused by the DME conversion
    • BDMd the 2001 full binary I found on the GitHub repo (this one specifically)
      • EWS would not sync and car would not start, all monitors show "not available" on OBD Fusion
    • BMDd the 2501 binary back on and updated with WinKFP to ZB number 7842979, synced EWS
    • Opened up DIS and checked the OBD readiness from there
      • Two monitors show "not applicable" and the rest show "not carried out", as expected
    • Ran the secondary air pump test with DIS and it successfully completed, then checked OBD readiness again
      • Two monitors show "not applicable" and the rest show "not carried out", so nothing changed even though the SAP test passed
    • Read the partial and modified it to delete the 151 DTC, reran the secondary air pump test
      • Checked with DIS and OBD Fusion, but still the same issue with the monitors
    I'm leaning towards this being a software issue, as everything else works perfectly, but it could definitely be something else too. Could someone that recently passed smog with an HP let me know what the ZB number is for the binary that's on their DME?

Any other suggestions are welcome too!
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Hi, may I ask which monitors are "not applicable" that you are seeing? Not ever single monitor you see apply to our cars. As long as you have Misfire, fuel, Comp, EVAP, SAP, Heated O2, and CAT. On our cars EVAP is also exempt if you happen to have it non-ready. Hopefully this helps

Attached Files
    Last edited by Samsonite79; 07-18-2021, 09:24 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a drive cycle chart, also maintain 60mph for 5-10 min., that's what worked for me

Comment

I can't remember exactly which ones showed up as "not applicable" in DIS, but I'll check again tomorrow and post them here.

I did complete a drive cycle too, made no difference.

The biggest thing that's puzzling me is that even though I can force some tests to happen with DIS (like the secondary air pump test), the monitor still says "not carried out" after the test successfully completes.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

All right, here's what DIS shows:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20210719_095601.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	115698

And this is what the OBD Fusion app shows:

Comment

Were you able to get your readiness monitors to work with the CSL software? Mine say the same thing with 0401 software on my hp-converted DME.

Comment

Originally posted by skristedja View Post
            Were you able to get your readiness monitors to work with the CSL software? Mine say the same thing with 0401 software on my hp-converted DME.
            I only checked the monitors once with my phone when running CSL software, but the results were the same. Nothing showing as available.

Before the HP conversion, all the emissions stuff worked just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

I only checked the monitors once with my phone when running CSL software, but the results were the same. Nothing showing as available.

Before the HP conversion, all the emissions stuff worked just fine.
              Interesting, it sounds like it's something about the conversion rather than the software. Have you tried forcing readiness? I don't remember the exact process but I remember that it's possible by zero-ing out a certain string.

Comment

oh, interesting. on DIS shows you those not carried out but not a generic where it's totally x out. Let's go with the theory on the conversion, try taking the added resistors out and see what that does.

Comment

Interesting, it sounds like it's something about the conversion rather than the software. Have you tried forcing readiness? I don't remember the exact process but I remember that it's possible by zero-ing out a certain string.
                  Hmm, wasn't aware this was a thing. However, I don't think that would play well with the new emission regulations in CA. Checksums won't match and all that.

Originally posted by Samsonite79 View Post
                  oh, interesting. on DIS shows you those not carried out but not a generic where it's totally x out. Let's go with the theory on the conversion, try taking the added resistors out and see what that does.
                  I might give that a shot, not much to lose at this point.

Comment

Did some more experimenting today. Flashed zb 7834917 and surprisingly, the 151 dtc went away. It's still defined in the tune, so it's not like the dtc was just deleted.

But, unfortunately, the monitors are still doing the same thing. I need to drive the car tomorrow, so I'll update if driving it changes anything (I doubt it will).

If the monitors are still not cooperating tomorrow, I'll try to force readiness to see how the DME responds. Hopefully that gives me some more insight as to where the problem lies.

Comment

Dang, sorry no luck yet. Thanks for keeping us updated though. When is your smog due by? If you are unable to pass, I can lend you a spare MSS54

Comment

Dang, sorry no luck yet. Thanks for keeping us updated though. When is your smog due by? If you are unable to pass, I can lend you a spare MSS54
                        Thanks for the offer! Might have to hit you up on that. It's due by Aug 8, so I've got a couple weeks to figure this out.

Might also just go out and buy an MSS54 to have around.

Comment

You can pay your renewal when it's due, but still take several weeks to get the smog test done, not a big deal.
                          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

All right, update time.

I've flashed a million different software versions onto the DME (so much that I stopped writing them down) and none of them worked.

The closest I got was by flashing a binary via BDM that was pulled off of an HP with the monitors already set. DIS showed them as "ready," but after a drive, all the monitors became "not ready". Using DIS to run the SAP test did nothing to set the monitor either. Seems like this is an issue coming from the hardware conversion.

I'm thinking that maybe this has something to do with the injector driver error. Wouldn't be surprised if the firmware sees something wrong with the drivers and unsets all the monitors.

I spent some time trying to find datasheets for the non-HP and HP drivers, but couldn't for either. I'll poke around at the board with a multimeter to see if I can find any differences in pinouts between the drivers.

Also, I'm basing myself of off this image to identify the drivers, so someone please tell me if it's wrong.

Click image for larger version  Name:	32f81080-acca-11e9-9802-3492209d990b.png Views:	0 Size:	823.6 KB ID:	117452

I'll also do some continuity checks between those chips and the injector pins in X60003 to double check. That should also tell me something about the driver's pinout.

If I manage to identify the electrical differences between the non-HP and HP drivers, it might be possible to do some hardware trickery to get everything working like it should. If the pinout of the old and new components is the same, the fix might be as simple as swapping out the parts—although getting those drivers off looks like a pain.

I guess another thing to do would be to look through the dissasembly and see if the injector error affects the emissions monitors in any way. But I'm definitely starting with the hardware approach, as I really don't want to sift through a bunch of unknown assembly. Plus, I'm not even sure where to start with the dissasembly.

Comment

Actually disregard the part of my previous comment where I blame the injector drivers.

I just accidentally made the emissions monitors display the test status. Was just driving around normally and the SES light came on. Checked the monitors and they were set!

Cleared the light and drove around some more. No monitors set.

Disconnected the MAF to trigger the light and the monitors are back!

For some reason they're only showing as "ready" when the light is set I think INPA can clear the codes without resetting the monitors, so I'll experiment with that later. Can anyone else ( skristedja ?) with a converted DME verify that the SES light makes the monitors come on?

Comment

Working...
                              X