Help With Emissions Monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
    I live in Virginia and had my factory HP DME converted by Kassel to run the CSL tune. Over time, I worked with them change different parameters in an attempt to gain emissions readiness but we could never get there (could never get proper communication with the testing equipment). Virginia is modeled on California emissions but doesn’t require a smog or visual inspection. You all probably could’ve anticipated this outcome.

Not wanting to change out hardware, I purchased a used DME (HP or non-HP, didn’t matter). All I did was plug in the donor DME and then remotely, PCS Tuning reflashed the DME for my VIN and to run AlphaN while setting the emissions monitors to ready state. I had to do the approx 100 mile drive cycle (not wanting to do the ridiculous specific procedure) to gain all monitors ready (such as the cats and one other that I don’t recall).

Took the vehicle in, it connected, passed and I drove home and swapped the CSL DME back in. Not the cheapest but reasonable at $500 used DME + 1 hour of PCS time (probably $120). By the way, Paul’s AlphaN tune out of the box for my specific setup was super impressive. He tuned my CSL DME so it was a bit more optimized than the AlphaN which had no tuning. Including OP’s issue, I would encourage anyone to reach out to PCS Tuning.
    Great info! Trying to see if my planned setup would work as you describe it.

Thinking about a Karbonius intake with functional flap, MAP sensor, CSL air rail, SuperSprint cat-less header, catted Section 2, O2 sensor relocation to Section 2. This would be complemented with a CSL tune. My M3 is an 11/03 production 04 model year car, so hoping it already has the HP DME.

Specific question is whether any one of the components above would have the risk of emissions failure using the donor DME method.
    2004 Mystic Blue M3 | 6-speed | Coupe
    Karbonius CSL-style airbox | OEM CSL snorkel & flap | Schrick 280 / 272 cams with followers | CSL inconel exhaust valves
    SuperSprint 63.5mm stepped headers, section-1 with sport cats, and resonated twin-pipe section-2
    ITG CSL Airbox Airfilter| Karbonius E46 microfilter cover
    Karbonius M3 E46 CSL trunklid | Ohlin's BMS MI30 coilovers

Comment

Flap won't work when running an alpha n tune on the stock DME with non-CSL software. But besides that, you should be fine.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
        Flap won't work when running an alpha n tune on the stock DME with non-CSL software. But besides that, you should be fine.
        Would the flap stay open or closed in that scenario?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Karbonius CSL-style airbox | OEM CSL snorkel & flap | Schrick 280 / 272 cams with followers | CSL inconel exhaust valves
        SuperSprint 63.5mm stepped headers, section-1 with sport cats, and resonated twin-pipe section-2

Comment

Not sure, but I think it just wouldn't move. There's a hardware component missing from non-CSL DMEs that controls the flap. You could probably just position it wherever you want it and hope it doesn't close on you under acceleration/braking.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by HanSooloo View Post

Would the flap stay open or closed in that scenario?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Closed and then everything Heinz noted. You are missing the H-bridge which is a chip that needs to be added to the DME - think of it like a relay to control an added device to a vehicle. You should consider getting the DME converted to CSL variant (by adding H-bridge) from the beginning to meet your goals. That way when the DME is flashed with the CSL software you’re all set.

Heinz is well versed has a great thread on it. I’m not an electronics persons and do not consider it a DIY. Kassel can do it and I’m sure others here can make better suggestions. So can PCS but he’s in the UK and I’d still be wary of shipping int’l at the moment.

Jump to post #9 for info on first converting an MSS54 into an MSS54HP (non CSL). This was originally posted by Terra on M3Forum. I just went through this process, so I thought I would bring over all the posts from that thread that were relevant to the process. I've also added some information afterwards about converting and
            '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

Closed and then everything Heinz noted. You are missing the H-bridge which is a chip that needs to be added to the DME - think of it like a relay to control an added device to a vehicle. You should consider getting the DME converted to CSL variant (by adding H-bridge) from the beginning to meet your goals. That way when the DME is flashed with the CSL software you’re all set.

Heinz is well versed has a great thread on it. I’m not an electronics persons and do not consider it a DIY. Kassel can do it and I’m sure others here can make better suggestions. So can PCS but he’s in the UK and I’d still be wary of shipping int’l at the moment.

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/s...ridge#post7114
              Makes sense. I should have said that I am planning on getting the H-Bridge chip added to the DME (Kassel being the prime candidate).

Does anyone know whether 04 model year manufactured in 11/03 would already have the HP DME?

Comment

Yes
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                X