Doug Demuro says now is the time to buy an e46 M3, before values sky rocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

300% up in 4 years and you think there’s no bubble?

I think you may have a rude awakening in your future.
    Don’t worry he’s good if it drops to 200%. Meanwhile a simple S&P500 index fund with dividends reinvested would have also doubled in the last four years — without paying insurance, bank interest or property taxes.

I repeat — your home is not a good investment lol. It’s a place to live, and it’s more a liability than an asset.

Comment

As someone else that works in finance, this was my exact reaction.
      2012 E92 M3 Competition - LeMans Blue / Speed Cloth - 6MT
      [SOLD] 2004 E46 M3 Coupe - Carbon Black / Black - 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by dr_011 View Post

Sorry, just expressing a fact. Good luck to you and yours.
        Thanks! I’m about to add a second place in the beautiful white mountains a couple hours north. No wildfires or earthquakes and plentiful water for the foreseeable future.

Comment

To the guys who say "houses are not good investments" and "an index fund outperforms a house value over time"... is it still true when you take into account the rent you'd pay for a similar home and all associated costs of living as a tenant? You gotta pay for a home one way or another: Own or rent. So its a fixed cost which probably needs to be accounted for when comparing investments

SOrry if this is off topic... just this question always stuck in the back of my mind might as well ask now lol
          Last edited by yhp2009; 07-22-2021, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yhp2009 View Post
            To the guys who say "houses are not good investments" and "an index fund outperforms a house value over time"... is it still true when you take into account the rent you'd pay for a similar home and all associated costs of living as a tenant? You gotta pay for a home one way or another: Own or rent. So its a fixed cost which probably needs to be accounted for when comparing investments
            I consider those separate issues. Renting vs buying a home has clear trade-offs, particularly over the long-term. If you had a fully paid off mortgage you’d certainly have more disposable income to invest in other assets, although that comes back to the rent vs buy question in my mind, not the question of whether real estate is a better investment than stocks/etc.
            2012 E92 M3 Competition - LeMans Blue / Speed Cloth - 6MT
            [SOLD] 2004 E46 M3 Coupe - Carbon Black / Black - 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by yhp2009 View Post
              Absolutely true, there are tons of factors to consider and it’s pretty highly region dependent. In my experience rent on a nice place is cheaper than a mortgage. Also keep in mind that as a homeowner there are going to be lots of extra costs that you don’t pay as a renter as well. For example we’re going to be about $20k deep this year into repairs and upgrades — redoing the basement after a flood, needs a repaint, couple other optional things. I had an apartment that I used to rent flood about five years back and I couldn’t have cared less because it wasn’t my problem … paying for it myself is slightly more irritating.

On the other hand the neighborhood is great and everyone here owns their house, so no rentals available anyway. I can do whatever I want with the place without asking anyone (which is the main draw for me personally). And the mortgage payment stays fixed while rents may increase.

But the point stands that the value of the place doesn’t matter. If it increases — so what? That means every other nearby place’s increased too, so if you want to move you haven’t made any money in the end. Plus the cost to capitalize on any value increase is extremely high, between realtor and lawyer fees, and possibly even capital gains tax if you made any real money (>$250k).

Comment

Originally posted by stephen View Post

I have agreed upon value insurance through State Farm and I don’t recall them ever mentioning anything to me about mileage or needing a second car. All I had to do was give them a copy of an appraisal.
                Hmm I'm pretty sure they denied me because of the no daily thing, but I'll give them a call again. Thanks for the info!
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Good thing we listen to you about E46s and not housing.

Comment

Good thing we listen to you about E46s and not housing.
                    Are you going to move to a location with a significantly lower cost of living in the near future? If so, how far away would that be? You in a line of work to have that sort of flexibility? Or do you own a house in Malibu or something where you could travel 30 minutes away and buy something much much cheaper? Are you a flipper? Or is your planned time to cash out a decade or two away?
                    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Thanks for sharing, made me feel good about my current stable; 100 series land cruiser for work, M3 for all the fun stuff!

Comment

only 43% in 5 years?? dang that sucks. i'm up 300% in less than 4 years. like i've always said, west coast = best coast. there is no "bubble" here, maybe on the Least coast, but not here. good luck hustling for equity.
                        You think you're invincible, cute.

Comment

Originally posted by Bgexpress View Post
                          Thanks for sharing, made me feel good about my current stable; 100 series land cruiser for work, M3 for all the fun stuff!
                          100s are beast. I sold my 120 with 250k miles, they just keep going.
                          Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

Originally posted by 02_lsb View Post

100s are beast. I sold my 120 with 250k miles, they just keep going.
                            Agreed!! Mine hit 276k today. I work in land development, have it off-road every single day and it never skips a beat.

Comment

Can we just get back to arguing about E46M's and the fact that I forgot all about the Jeep SRT8 I test drove 15 years ago until I watched Doug's video, and now I'm having strange desires
                              E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

Originally posted by m3nt0s View Post
                                Can we just get back to arguing about E46M's and the fact that I forgot all about the Jeep SRT8 I test drove 15 years ago until I watched Doug's video, and now I'm having strange desires
                                Dodge. Man at times I look at the scat pack chargers, especially the wide body, and think I could buy it but there is some part of me that just won’t let that thought linger. Just so dang big.
                                3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Working...
                                X