Differential Time, 3.91 vs 4.10 on 6 speed ZCP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differential Time, 3.91 vs 4.10 on 6 speed ZCP

I know this has been discussed, probably at nauseum, but It's time for me to have my Diff rebuilt on my 2005 M3 ZCP with a 6 Speed and I'm considering Diffsonline with the Wavetrac LSD. Just curious of what Gear ratio people on here prefer and why. I was thinking of going 4.10 and some people seem to love that ratio, but there have also been some that considered it a not so good Ratio for whatever reason that is. I heard that for 6 speed cars, the 4.10 is the one to go with and 3.91 for SMG cars, but I was wondering if 3.91 would be the sweet spot, since my car's tune has removed the Speed limiter, so my Top speed will not be affected so much, but some gains in acceleration. So! before I spend $5000 plus on this thing, I want to know the Pro's and Con's of each ratio. My worry is that with the 4.10, my 1st gear would be useless. My Mods currently are full Supersprint exhaust, Eventuri Intake, DUDMD tune, HR Sway Bars and Wheel spacers and DMG front and rear strut. Any suggestions from the experts will be so much appreciated.

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...3-62-3-91-4-10

I went 3.91 and like it. Street driven SMG and supercharged so I violated every key tenet of na e46dom. Don't listen to me.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Stock. Unless your track is hilly and/or tight or you auto-x, then gear lower.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

6MT and SMG have the same gear ratios in the transmission (it's actually the same transmission), so that shouldn't affect anything. I like stock too
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I swapped out my LSD for a wavetrac, but kept final drive ratio stock. BMW just perfectly nailed it with the stock gearing, IMO.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Silbergrau metallic View Post
            It's time for me to have my Diff rebuilt on my 2005 M3 ZCP with a 6 Speed and I'm considering Diffsonline with the Wavetrac LSD..
            So you are going to swap out the stock carrier (probably version 2 which requires special tool to open) with a Wavetrac? Is this include the 4 spiders and the two side-gears? I want the old carrier, for experiment, if you're going to trash it.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

So you are going to swap out the stock carrier (probably version 2 which requires special tool to open) with a Wavetrac? Is this include the 4 spiders and the two side-gears? I want the old carrier, for experiment, if you're going to trash it.
              I'm not sure, are you saying that there is a special Wavetrack carrier that needs to be used when going to a Wavetrac LSD and if that's the case, do you know what it looks like. I decided that I was going to go with the Wavetrac, because most enthusiasts seem to like them, but I'm unaware of any other special parts that are needed to do the install. Sorry, I'm a bit of a Newb here.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

If he’s using diffsonline, they’ll use a carrier they have on hand and use his original as a core.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Silbergrau metallic View Post

I'm not sure, are you saying that there is a special Wavetrack carrier that needs to be used when going to a Wavetrac LSD and if that's the case, do you know what it looks like. I decided that I was going to go with the Wavetrac, because most enthusiasts seem to like them, but I'm unaware of any other special parts that are needed to do the install. Sorry, I'm a bit of a Newb here.
                  My understanding is that Wavetrac provides the carriers for our cars and other makes too. The shop or Diiffonline in this case will buy and install Wavetrac carrier into the original M3 diff housing and probably toss out the original stock M3 carrier. I thought you are going to buy the Wavetrac carrier and swap out yourself.

Wavetrac carrier (not necessary the right carrier for E46 M3):

Comment

4.1, 3.91 is only 8% shorter, if you want to feel an actual difference go to 4.1.

and no, BMW did not nail it, the ratios are too long for an 8k redline engine. Top speed should be achieved in top gear, and with the OE final drive it would do 200mph, so is too long for the capability of the engine and chassis. 4.1 would put you 174mph top speed, more inline with what the car can handle and you will enjoy the added torque to the wheels.

also, you will still have a true 6 spd car, that thing that 1st is useless is not accurate.

I have 4.1

another alternative is, go with 3.91 and put 19 with stock tire size, this gives a 4% higher final drive (almost same as a 4.1 diff), if you don't like you can go back to stock 18 sizes for the 8% shorter drive experience. This would be the only benefit I would see in going for 3.91, gives you som flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
                      4.1, 3.91 is only 8% shorter, if you want to feel an actual difference go to 4.1.

and no, BMW did not nail it, the ratios are too long for an 8k redline engine. Top speed should be achieved in top gear, and with the OE final drive it would do 200mph, so is too long for the capability of the engine and chassis. 4.1 would put you 174mph top speed, more inline with what the car can handle and you will enjoy the added torque to the wheels.
                      I already long for a 7th gear on the highway, with stock gearing. Stilling at 3500rpm at 80 in 5th (top gear) was my single most hated aspect of my e36 M3. Zero desire to recreate that in my e46.

If I want more torque to the wheels, I’ll downshift 😜

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

It really depends on your car’s use and then your preference.

Also it’s really silly when you hear people without a 4.10 say stuff about 1st gear. First gear is fine unless you drive only in first and need to go over 30mph.

For the record I have the 4.10 from BMW Motorsport and love it.
                        6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
                          It really depends on your car’s use and then your preference.

Also it’s really silly when you hear people without a 4.10 say stuff about 1st gear. First gear is fine unless you drive only in first and need to go over 30mph.

For the record I have the 4.10 from BMW Motorsport and love it.
                          … and your cars weight and power. I can only floor it in first in ideal conditions without lighting them up, with stock gearing, with 350rwhp and <3100 lbs.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

And depends where you drive it. Personally I will switch to a 3.91 with a Drexler 8 plate slip unit soon, as it works better on the ring.
                            Other tracks may favor a 4.1 with the power/weight the car has.
                            That's why BMW Motorsport has both options available, race teams switch setup depending on track.
                            There is no single best solution.

Edit: if I were to drive only on the street I would stick with the stock gearing.

Gesendet von meinem LON-L29 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Stock gearing is too tall imho. I'll build a diff soon enough with 4.10 gears and euro e36 m3 evo centre.

Comment

Working...
                              X