Race track only brake pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Race track only brake pads

I'm trying to pick some race track only no street use brake pads. I just ordered an AP BBKs (AP CP8350 calipers, j-hook rotors) for my race car and am going back and forth on pads. The big four I'm looking at are Ferodo DS1.11, Ferodo DS3.12, Hawk DTC-60, and Raybestos ST-43.

The tl;dr; from internet reviews I've found are (correct me if I'm wrong):

Hawk DTC-60: Hard on rotors, easy to bed, half the life of the ST43s, works well until they don't
    Raybestos ST-43: Lasts forever, easy to modulate, much easier on rotors, hard to bed-in, extremely difficult to bed-in if rotors had any other pad previously
    Ferodo DS3.12: Essex (US's only AP dealer) recommends these, the internet seems to like them. Longest pad life of Ferodo's racing range under track use. Twice the price as the ones above
    Ferodo DS1.11: Harder on rotors under race conditions as the 3.12s, but not as aggressive bite. Lower temperate range than the DS3.12. Twice the price as the DTC60/ST43s.

I'm a bit worried about running too aggressive a pad (DS3.12) which will overwhelm the rear brakes - I'm running stock rear brakes with Hawk race pads.

Does anybody have any two cents they'd like to add?
    E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

I ran ST43's on my Brembo GTR kit on the street for about 7k miles. They ate my Type V rotor rings. Which is typical but they are almost smoked as well. So it depends on your driving style and how much of it.

ST43's might be my favorite pad compound that's NOT full race compound. Very easy to modulate, I found really easy to bed in, but decently hard on rotors (to be expected, especially if it gets cold near you) and decently priced.
    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
    2005 BMW ///M3
    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

All Hawk pads are trash, so I'd nix that idea.

No performance friction options?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Have been using raybestos st43 and they are great for the track and lasts a long time. Squeals a ton, chews up rotors after 4-5 track days (tried blanks and cryo slotted). the brake dust really eats at rims if not removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Open to options! What do you like?

Comment

Originally posted by xingster View Post
            Have been using raybestos st43 and they are great for the track and lasts a long time. Squeals a ton, chews up rotors after 4-5 track days (tried blanks and cryo slotted). the brake dust really eats at rims if not removed.

That's just all part of the fun. My previous pads, Wilwood BP-30s, did the same thing. They would destroy the rotors and pads in a few track days and you'd have to get the brake dust off if not it would destroy the rims.

Comment

Performance Friction or go home.

I use PFC-11. PFC-01 is like crack in initial bite.

Comment

Where do you guys buy your PFC pads for the brembo kits? 6 piston monoblock seems to be the hardest for me to find. Sounds like I need to switch up my hawk dct 60's
                Last edited by SandeepM3; 08-03-2021, 07:12 PM.
                2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
                2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
                2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

I believe the AP Racing BBKs use the same pads as the Stoptech ST60s. If yes, Stoptech SR34 pads. It’s a knock off Performance Friction PF01 but 1/3 less cost.

I’d also consider Pagid Yellows. I’m not a fan but plenty of people like them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                    I ran ST43's on my Brembo GTR kit on the street for about 7k miles. They ate my Type V rotor rings. Which is typical but they are almost smoked as well. So it depends on your driving style and how much of it.

ST43's might be my favorite pad compound that's NOT full race compound. Very easy to modulate, I found really easy to bed in, but decently hard on rotors (to be expected, especially if it gets cold near you) and decently priced.
                    All high temp brake pads (racing or track pads) are going to chew up rotors on the street. High temp brake pads are extremely abrasive when operating below their temp range.

Comment

Originally posted by SandeepM3 View Post
                      Where do you guys buy your PFC pads for the brembo kits? 6 piston monoblock seems to be the hardest for me to find. Sounds like I need to switch up my hawk st 60's
                      I run 4 piston calipers. It’s way cheaper and there’s not much benefit to using a 6 piston caliper.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                        I believe the AP Racing BBKs use the same pads as the Stoptech ST60s. If yes, Stoptech SR34 pads. It’s a knock off Performance Friction PF01 but 1/3 less cost.

I’d also consider Pagid Yellows. I’m not a fan but plenty of people like them.

The AP caliper does use the same pad as the Stoptech ST60 and Wilwood SL6R - Wilwood type 7420. Pretty much any company that makes brake pads makes one in the right size.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Hard to beat the Hawk DTCs cost-wise when you swap em for free with FCP Euro.

They make alot of dust. But have good initial bite.

Did I mention free replacement?

😂

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

The AP caliper does use the same pad as the Stoptech ST60 and Wilwood SL6R - Wilwood type 7420. Pretty much any company that makes brake pads makes one in the right size.
                            Then I'd check out the SR34 pad. Not the longest lasting pad BUT it has excellent bite and release. Makes less than perfect trail braking work. The only pad with bite but easy to modulate. Not on/off or dull feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by SandeepM3 View Post
                              Where do you guys buy your PFC pads for the brembo kits? 6 piston monoblock seems to be the hardest for me to find. Sounds like I need to switch up my hawk st 60's
                              I'm guessing it's the 49mm annulus 6 piston monoblock kit?
                              '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Working...
                              X