No announcement yet.

Race track only brake pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve really enjoyed the 1.11’s and I have a set of 3.12’s going on next.

I only run a front essex AP kit and stock rear with 100tw tires. No brake problems at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
    2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

I run 4 piston calipers. It’s way cheaper and there’s not much benefit to using a 6 piston caliper.

I know I know I should trade for a 4 piston up front. Honestly biggest reason would be easy pad change. Not that's its too much more work.

They are just so damn sexy though.

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

I'm guessing it's the 49mm annulus 6 piston monoblock kit?
      Yes that's correct.
      2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
      2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
      2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

I have Brembo 4-piston calipers front and rear running the following G-LOC (https://www.g-locbrakes.com/) brake pads:

Front: GP968-R12
        Rear: GP592-R10

The "R" is the G-LOC compound. I find the G-LOC easy to modulate with good initial bite and they are very easy on rotors.

Call Danny Puskar at G-LOC (844) 927-2537 if you want detailed information or assistance with pad choice.

Feff
        MVP Track Time

Comment

I just swapped out some Hawk DTC-60 pads on the GT350, and put ST43s on. My god, what pieces of shit those Hawk pads were. Ruined the car and any confidence I had in the braking.

ST43s are doing fantastic. I wish I had just done this all along.
          '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Man I wish there were more options from FCP than just the DTC-60s and DS2500 for stock calipers. I run the DTC-60s but just because of the lifetime warranty

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
              I just swapped out some Hawk DTC-60 pads on the GT350, and put ST43s on. My god, what pieces of shit those Hawk pads were. Ruined the car and any confidence I had in the braking.

ST43s are doing fantastic. I wish I had just done this all along.
              Woo. I ended up going with the ST43s. Can't wait to get them on and at the track.

Sadly, fcp doesn't sell them - but I'm hoping I'll get 1-2 years out of a set and they've only $150 - fairly affordable. My old Wilwood's only lasted 2-3 track days destroying not only the pads but the rotors too! It was getting expensive.
              E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
              Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post
                Man I wish there were more options from FCP than just the DTC-60s and DS2500 for stock calipers. I run the DTC-60s but just because of the lifetime warranty
                Same here. Options really suck via fcp.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
                2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

I considered going with the DTC60 but for brake pads…it’s worth it to stick with the Stoptechs.

For me, pads last a long time. Not a huge financial trade off…tires are a different story.

Last edited by bigjae46; 08-06-2021, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I get the FCP affordability factor... but I'd rather just spend the money and enjoy the cars. What's your time worth?

Wilwood's pads are made by Raybestos IIRC.

Comment

I'm mad fcp doesn't offer tires and gas.
                      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Make sure you are using same pads/compound front and rear otherwise you are doing brak bias.

Back in the days, I tried Hawks, Stoptech, Pagid, Performance Fiction, Cobalt, Ferrodo, …

Best pads IMO on the E46 M3 were the Performance Friction compound 01 or 11.

Pagid were a good option too. The RS14/Black are race pads and RS19 or RS29 / Yellow are endurance pads.

Brake pads and tires are probably the best place to spend money if you want to lower lap time
                        2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/Black 6mt
                        2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                        2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

I run an AP kit 6 pot front and 4 pot rear.

Originally it came with Mintex F3R pads. Crazy bite, but literally chews through rotors. It's more of a sprint race compound, so it's useless unless you run a really soft sticky slick tire.

I have since switched to pagid yellows. Much better wear and the breaking power is still more than my Cup 2's can handle. I run the RSL1 up front and the RS29 in the rear for a front biased setup. Works perfect and I get more tracktime out of my rotors.

Gesendet von meinem LON-L29 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post
                            Best pads IMO on the E46 M3 were the Performance Friction compound 01 or 11.
                            Agreed on the 01. Never used the 11 yet. Stoptech came out with their own race pads and the SR34 compound performs just like a PF01 in every way.

The problem with PFC is I heard the owner died so the wife or someone else is in the process essentially dissolving the company. They are still making brake pads for now but don’t think they make BBKs or rotors. Not sure how true this is.

Comment

Agreed on the 01. Never used the 11 yet. Stoptech came out with their own race pads and the SR34 compound performs just like a PF01 in every way.

The problem with PFC is I heard the owner died so the wife or someone else is in the process essentially dissolving the company. They are still making brake pads for now but don’t think they make BBKs or rotors. Not sure how true this is.

I really have trouble believing the ST34s are that hood, based on my experience with stoptech calipers, rotors, and other pad compounds.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i
                              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

This is true. Whoever won the legal battle over PFC (either the widow or the heir, can't remember) is not an enthusiast, and as a result they are concentrating on their volume stuff. Which means brake pads for things like a Ford Taurus... PFC racing part numbers are gradually going NLA.

Shame because the 08 and 11 compounds were some of my favorites. Track day guys are probably best off with endurance-style pads, ranging from ST43 to Pagid Yellows. Other options are Ferodo DS1.11 and DS3.12, but by and large the pickings are slim. Endless makes stuff but good luck getting that readily in the USA.

Comment

Working...
                                X