No announcement yet.

Matt from OG picks up an E46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I typically don't mind his videos (although have been fast forwarding many of them these days), Matt's thoughts on the e46 m3 appear completely off and not why people buy these cars. People buy them for the size, analog, purist, raspy feel, not to make them sound like any other modded civic car. This car will not sound like a modern gt3/gt4. I know think more than ever that he seems to buy the bmws because he feels it will make him popular and give him more views. What a waste and I think EAG should have not sold him a car to put their name on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
      Let him bitch all he wants. He is just trying to justify the UPS truck full of mods this thing needs to make himself feel better about it. I bet he already place his $15,000 order for SS V1 headers, resonated section 1/2 and race exhaust, airbox, brembo brakes, STS etc.... Pretty soon its gonna be the greatest car he has ever owned.

He bitched and nagged about E92 exhaust in every one of his E92 videos as well. went out and spent 6 grand on akra and hated it lol.
      Exactly. I've been watching him for years and an obsessed garage supporter. He always says things like this when he first picks up a vehicle, omitting porsche. Saying negative things motivates him to mod more.

conclusion, who really gives a rat's what he thinks, we all love e46 m3s and are passionate about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Geroz1 View Post
        What a waste and I think EAG should have not sold him a car to put their name on this.
        That would never happen. They sell cars to make money off eccentrics.

As to whether it’s his OCD that has made his focus out of proportion on the sound OR if it’s a set-up for his already proposed exhaust “shoot out” is yet to be known. But the former is a typical set-up for enticing viewership. Say how something is so terrible that you’ll get rid of said thing unless you can find a fix. Thus set-up the stage for upcoming events that you’ll want to see. Also being a “showman” that will spend to no limits allows cost not to be focus and allows show to go on.
        6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

The part I dislike the most about this dude is not that he obsesses over insignificant things like the tire nibs, but rather that he does so in such an arrogant way.

Diagnosed medical condition or not, there's no need to say that it's "preposterous that you'd have the little nibs on your tires". He could have left it at "I don't like them" and his point would have come across equally as well. That's just one example, but I feel like he does it a lot. Same deal with the rasp.

I just get the feeling that he thinks that anyone that doesn't share his opinions is an absolute idiot. Maybe I'm wrong and he's actually a cool guy in real life, but in his videos he presents himself as being significantly better than everyone else and I just can't stand to watch them because of that.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
            That would never happen. They sell cars to make money off eccentrics.

As to whether it’s his OCD that has made his focus out of proportion on the sound OR if it’s a set-up for his already proposed exhaust “shoot out” is yet to be known. But the former is a typical set-up for enticing viewership. Say how something is so terrible that you’ll get rid of said thing unless you can find a fix. Thus set-up the stage for upcoming events that you’ll want to see. Also being a “showman” that will spend to no limits allows cost not to be focus and allows show to go on.
            Exactly. Showman! why butcher such a clean example haha. Maybe I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to these.

Comment

I'm lost why he bought this car . . . He seems like a Honda / Subaru Tuner, or super car guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                Did anyone make it through an hour+ of that video?

I made it about 4 minutes before I realized my eyes had glazed over and I wasn't even actually listening...
                That’s the case with all his videos.

Sadly all the other “detailers” I know that idolize him are usually hacks. No clue how anyone gets past 5 minutes of his videos.

It’s comical if he did whine about the forum trashing him. No clue why anyone would “read the comments” if a position like his. Only would get to your head

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post

Cant speak for the US spec cars, but with regards to euro m3s and CSLs, I assure you I have heard a lot worse. Almost every aftermarket exhaust for these cars sound like rubbish compared to a CSL. I have yet to hear a car that sounds better than a factory CSL.
                  bone stock CSL from the Top Gear video. You'll notice they cut the video clip almost every time before the car goes past the camera and you can hear the exhaust, except for here.

still sounds like a kazoo.

Comment

Originally posted by tnord View Post

bone stock CSL from the Top Gear video. You'll notice they cut the video clip almost every time before the car goes past the camera and you can hear the exhaust, except for here.

still sounds like a kazoo.
                    Thats the only clip worth listening to

Comment

you can like the sound, that's fine. but many of us think it's the absolute worst part of this car, and bad enough that I wouldn't even want to own the car if the sound couldn't be fixed. we don't need to get into that whole discussion again, I was just posting it in response to the claim that CSL/Euro cars somehow sound different/better than US.

Comment

Originally posted by tnord View Post
                        you can like the sound, that's fine. but many of us think it's the absolute worst part of this car, and bad enough that I wouldn't even want to own the car if the sound couldn't be fixed. we don't need to get into that whole discussion again, I was just posting it in response to the claim that CSL/Euro cars somehow sound different/better than US.
                        Not want to own the car just over the sound? There are so many other traits of the car that supersede it for me. But yea its subjective

Comment

yes, for sure. you can't deny sound is a huge part of the experience. That's the main reason I bought the evolve intake. The modest power bump is a nice fringe benefit, but that's not the primary motivation. A few years ago I was debating selling the car, but then the first supersprint BF sale happened at the same time as the CPI RTX and I decided to jump in and commit. The next year on BF the evolve box went on sale, and I've basically spent $7k just to address the sound of this car.

Comment

The sound is so easy to remedy. Seriously. RE made a sect1 many many years ago.

Have headers and dont like the sound, add cats back into the S1. Need even less rasp? As dress goes also. Need even less? Add an airbox.

It’s times like these that I truly miss the M3f days. We lost so much information to help the new owners out.

Comment

Ive been a cautious fan of Matt for years. Made it six minutes in. I think his detailing days have passed by now that he has made it in the retail game. There are now hour long videos where he just scouts “OG Locations” for new garages. No thanks.

Lately, his product videos have become, well, condescending. He bitches for an hour about how dumb his customers are sending in (admittedly not particularly adept) questions and his staff having to respond. That is what happens when you run a successful business. You have to deal with the occasional idiot. That being said, I hope he doesn’t “murder out” the M3 like that Civic….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                              [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Originally posted by Chas3n View Post
                                The sound is so easy to remedy. Seriously. RE made a sect1 many many years ago.

Have headers and dont like the sound, add cats back into the S1. Need even less rasp? As dress goes also. Need even less? Add an airbox.

It’s times like these that I truly miss the M3f days. We lost so much information to help the new owners out.
                                Summary;

"It's so easy to fix, just throw $5k at the problem."

Yes, I was around M3F days, and registered on that site in 2010 when I bought the car. I'm not new to this platform, or to BMWs as I bought my first in 2003, and have owned 5 now. And yes, *we* have had it figured out how to make it not sound terrible. But you've gotta be fairly deep in the game to understand how to address the issue. The general "enthusiast public" just thinks its an awful sounding car. Matt should probably know better, as he's been around M cars for quite a while too, but whatever.

I'm interested to see where this car ends up, and will enjoy watching.

Comment

Working...
                                X