Matt from OG picks up an E46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LVMESM46 View Post
    He knows what he's doing, pissing on the E46 will upset a lot of people which in turn causes a stir and more views/publicity. I won't watch him and could care less about his opinion.
    It's an easy target. I find the Florida comments hilarious, and very true.

Comment

Can't believe this thread is still going on but I'm not gonna listen to someone who huffs car soap on the regular and obsesses over paint finish.

Car folks like this are of the most annoying variety lol
      2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
      2005 BMW ///M3
      Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
      2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
      2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
      2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
        Can't believe this thread is still going on but I'm not gonna listen to someone who huffs car soap on the regular and obsesses over paint finish.

100% agreed. Not even a performance oriented driver, just some anal guy that gets off more on 10/10 paint than 10/10 performance limits.
        Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
          I never realized this until you said it, but man, that is so true!

Comment

Originally posted by tnord View Post

the love for the e36 but disdain for e46 is what doesn't make sense to me.

e90 m3 = great
            e36 m3 = great
            e46 m3 = lame

um, what?

if you only like the e90 because of the engine but not the other two, all good. but I just don't understand how you can think the e36 is great fun but the e46 is slow and lame? I would chalk it up to weight, but the e90 was even heavier I believe?
            I mean honestly, if you drive the S52 just around town and like under 5k, you're gonna like it more than the S54 which really needs to be revved out to be fully enjoyed. IMO. Also the sound is better on a simple S52 with a rear section, very few people like the E46 sound until you have that moment where you start to like the rasp. My $0.02 as a current owner of both cars.
            http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
            '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

It still doesn't make sense to me. It's not like the S65, in a heavier chassis, has THAT much more torque than the S54, albeit 1000 rpm lower. He knows he's changing out the entire exhaust, so I understand hating the sound of the stock system, but hating the whole car because of something you know you're changing?

I know, it's irrational to expect car people to be rational.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	5pgl50.jpg Views:	3 Size:	100.4 KB ID:	130319

^ Me for the past few pages
                Last edited by IamFODI; 10-06-2021, 05:55 AM.
                2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Yeah you guys figured it out. Other M3s are better on the street. This guy seems to enjoy cruising more than racing so driving the S54 is more work than fun.

Comment

He said s54 is the worst sounding engine ever
                    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

To start comparing quotes and simplify insurance-buying, check out Policygenius: https://policygenius.com/hoovies. Thanks to Policygenius for sponsoring this...

have at it, didnt think this deserved a separate thread.
                      2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Originally posted by CrisSilberGrau View Post
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-lz...=HooviesGarage

have at it, didnt think this deserved a separate thread.
                        For the tl;dw crowd
                        He was on the fence (title was click bait) but:

1. Car is not that rare, there are like 40k of these out there
                        1b. Can get something similar with an M2 (debatable). Compare that to an E39 M5 (which he likes), which had no similar replacement since

2. Mechanical issues - rod bearings, vanos. Funny he didn't mention the subframe

3. For the price premium over a 330 ZHP, he didn't think the performance of the M3 was that much better, while having more maintenance issues

Car Ninja thought they are worth the hype. Hoovie's car needs a new transmission (huge leak, not enough fluid) but he knew that might be the case when buying.

Comment

I feel like a major factor in whether someone appreciates an M3 is how much they value a car's ability to

1. Do everything well, and
                          2. Bring real motorsport pedigree (not just huge numbers) to the masses.

The more they value those things, the more they probably appreciate M3s, and (I bet) the more likely they think the E46 is the sweet spot.

Otherwise, it's easy to see an M3 as not good enough at anything to warrant mythical status. From that perspective, the E46 M3 being the sweet spot means it's smack in the middle of no-man's land, and I can see someone with that perspective preferring a newer or older generation.

These guys making these YouTube videos have lots of cars. They don't need a car that does everything because they can have a bunch of cars that are better at different things. They don't need an accessible version of motorsport pedigree because they can have motorsport pedigree straight-up. For someone in that position to agree with the E46 M3 hype, they'd have to just love the idea of a do-everything motorsport-for-the-masses car for its own sake. Which, obviously, many of them do. Just not OG Matt or Hoovie, apparently.

If I'm right about all this, I don't think the disagreement really casts doubt on the E46 M3's status or virtues. It's just people with different perspectives drawing different conclusions.
                          Last edited by IamFODI; 10-13-2021, 04:48 PM.
                          2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                          Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                          Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
                            I feel like a major factor in whether someone appreciates an M3 is how much they value a car's ability to

1. Do everything well, and
                            2. Bring real motorsport pedigree (not just huge numbers) to the masses.

The more they value those things, the more they probably appreciate M3s, and (I bet) the more likely they think the E46 is the sweet spot.

Otherwise, it's easy to see an M3 as not good enough at anything to warrant mythical status. From that perspective, the E46 M3 being the sweet spot means it's smack in the middle of no-man's land, and I can see someone with that perspective preferring a newer or older generation.

These guys making these YouTube videos have lots of cars. They don't need a car that does everything because they can have a bunch of cars that are better at different things. They don't need an accessible version of motorsport pedigree because they can have motorsport pedigree straight-up. For someone in that position to agree with the E46 M3 hype, they'd have to just love the idea of a do-everything motorsport-for-the-masses car for its own sake. Which, obviously, many of them do. Just not OG Matt or Hoovie, apparently.

If I'm right about all this, I don't think the disagreement really casts doubt on the E46 M3's status or virtues. It's just people with different perspectives drawing different conclusions.
                            Spot on! I agree.

We’re at a time where turbo/electric cars are more popular than ever. Any car with a manual + high revving na motor, will be overhyped (s2k).

Comment

what was that series with ?Scagnetti? on the old Drive that was basically a video podcast, and Chris Harris called out the E46 M3 as THE car to go get. This was like 3-5 years ago. I'm going to go find it.

EDIT; found it. phuck....it was NINE years ago. I'm getting old. He touches on it a few times throughout the conversation, and talks himself into the E46M3 being the car to get by the end of it.
                              Last edited by tnord; 10-14-2021, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Never heard of hoovie but I watched his video. Is he as stupid as he seems to be? His comments on rod bearings, leaks, and maintenance on a high revving twenty year old car whose history is suspect are disingenuous and IMO he is making the attempt to appeal to immature young adults which I'm sure make up the vast majority of his viewership. The mechanic tells him repeatedly these cars are reliable and he repeatedly ignores the clearly more knowledgeable man's opinion. Come to think of it hoovie should join this board, fit right in
                                3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Working...
                                X