Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
    He's boring.

Also buying from EAG is a cop out. Should have made it interesting by buying a clapper from Queens and rebuilding that.
    +1 he is boring as hell cant stand to watch him.........

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post

I see what you're saying about Matt - but I'd have to disagree. The guy covers a very wide spectrum of cars and different audiences, however he's been an BMW M guy from day 1 with his initial Interlagos E92 M3 way, way back when M3post was cool and his latest build.
      he has a long history of owning a lot of different cars, culture vultures are well versed in the sneaker game as well that doesn't make them not what they are

- why does he spend 30 minutes de-nibbing a tire but pays someone else to install the simplest of mods for him
      - how come he doesnt drive his cars more than just up and down the street
      - why does he buy race suspension but revalved to run softer spring rates

a lot of what he does makes a lot more sense when you accept that his brand is to build show cars (functionally prepped show cars are a thing) for content. he's part of the car community, but he rubs a lot of people the wrong way because he doesn't appear in the slightest to be a driving enthusiast.

Comment

See below!

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

he has a long history of owning a lot of different cars, culture vultures are well versed in the sneaker game as well that doesn't make them not what they are

- why does he spend 30 minutes de-nibbing a tire but pays someone else to install the simplest of mods for him

I'd say the answer lies somewhere around him running a business and prioritizing his time. His business has evolved into a full fledged cars nuts stores and he has 20 + employees to manage. Wrenching on cars surely isn't his most valuable use of time across the company's need.

- how come he doesnt drive his cars more than just up and down the street

He lives in Florida; the land of straight lines and boring drives - and see above. He has taken his cars to the Dragon multiple times.

- why does he buy race suspension but revalved to run softer spring rates

He isn't running anything close to fully fledged race dampers on his cars. The Ohlin TTX are dual purpose coilovers and he uses sleeve kits on most of his cars.

a lot of what he does makes a lot more sense when you accept that his brand is to build show cars (functionally prepped show cars are a thing) for content. he's part of the car community, but he rubs a lot of people the wrong way because he doesn't appear in the slightest to be a driving enthusiast.

Like any brand built around a person - it will be a subjective experience. Matt's brand is built around his personal struggles with OCD and it resonates with many, as is proof of his following. The guy gets thousands of views doing *wash and talk* - and he's an utterly boring dude to listen to.

I think you'll find very few enthusiasts that are into the detailing side of the world as avid track guys. They tend to obsess over a car's paint and finish. To have those expectations out of him is looking at the wrong place for the wrong thing.

I personally don't subscribe to his stuff as it isn't my thing and like you, I'd like more action. I can still respect it though - he is above and beyond the click bait dudes of this world by providing actionable value to the community.

Comment

I watched a few of his videos when he owned a c7 z06. easily dropped 100k+ on that build. dude hated everything about the car. I can only imagine what he thinks of an e46.

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post

When I'm watching car content on YouTube, I don't care what car it's about. I'm in it for the entertainment and to maybe learn something. And listening to Matt ramble is not entertaining.

But to answer your question, if E46 M3 content is required, then Motorsport Inspired isn't too bad. A really small channel, but I'd much rather watch him than OG https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAN...OawoSDQ/videos
            For any BMW content, M539 Restoration is awesome. https://www.youtube.com/c/M539Restorations/videos
            For car content in general, anything Jason Camissa puts out (either on ISSIMI or Hagerty) is top notch IMO.
            Sreten (m539)'s dry german humor is so good!

I'd go for some setra motorsport and Driftworks when he's (actually Jay) is fiddling with his V10 or the CSL is way better than the OCD guys rambling.

Comment

Like any brand built around a person - it will be a subjective experience. Matt's brand is built around his personal struggles with OCD and it resonates with many, as is proof of his following. The guy gets thousands of views doing *wash and talk* - and he's an utterly boring dude to listen to.
              To be fair, for a channel with as many subs as he has, he doesn’t do too well with views. Personally, I’d be more interested in watching his BMW content if he posted here.

Comment

I'm excited to see what he does. i want his channel a lot
                E46 M3 LSB
                F80 M3 Sakhir
                F86 X5M Alpine

Comment

FYI I heard him say he will be buying every available exhaust system, and hot swapping them to compare the sound. So if that interests you, I'd take a look...

Comment

Wrenching on cars surely isn't his most valuable use of time across the company's need.
                    but spending hours of his own time de-nibbing tires is?

He has taken his cars to the Dragon multiple times.
                    ah yes, driving enthusiast pass granted

He isn't running anything close to fully fledged race dampers on his cars.
                    he ran motons on his EM1 and spec'd spring rates so soft they had to be revalved

Like any brand built around a person

i think that's why you're being so defensive for him

nobody's talking down on his life choices. there are perfectly valid reasons to not like the content he creates and his "brand" and imo there's nothing wrong with having that opinion

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                      Nothing special or out of the ordinary. He'll probably do the usual mods and it'll be sort of plain, not sure why people are excited for this.
                      Bcs clean e46 m3’s with quality mods are almost impossible to see. Even on youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Toby22 View Post

Bcs clean e46 m3’s with quality mods are almost impossible to see. Even on youtube
                        Don't a lot of us here have clean m3s with quality mods?

I've never thought of youtube when I want to see true quality. Youtube was for exh videos and silly stuff. I suppose it's gotten better.

The people who appreciate quality e46 m3s the most are already here no?
                        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

Don't a lot of us here have clean m3s with quality mods?

The people who appreciate quality e46 m3s the most are already here no?
                          maybe, but none of us have a youtube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

but spending hours of his own time de-nibbing tires is?

Because it requires little mental efforts and he can have a discussion.
                            Remember the guy is OCD?
                            You can't do that while doing a rod bearing change or having your face in the engine bay ripping out intake parts.

YouTube is littered with crappy DIYs if you want that, he's doing something different in an extremely clean, properly light environment and taking you through the process unlike anything that's out there.

His end game is to sell tools and garage related products. He doesn't sell maintenance or tuning products. I'd be curious to see his audience figures, I have a feeling they are mostly in the 35-44 range.

ah yes, driving enthusiast pass granted

What more do you need?

97% of BMW M owners don't track their cars. I don't track mine intensively. I lease track cars instead as I have zero interest to total what I believe to be a collector car. I consider myself an enthusiast.

That's a type of useless benchmarking that makes car communities putrid at times.

he ran motons on his EM1 and spec'd spring rates so soft they had to be revalved

Matt has owned 20 + cars. That's one of them where he got it wrong. Mistakes are parts of a build, communities help dampen those.

i think that's why you're being so defensive for him

nobody's talking down on his life choices. there are perfectly valid reasons to not like the content he creates and his "brand" and imo there's nothing wrong with having that opinion
                            I'm not defending the guy, he doesn't need me to do that. Like I said, I don't like his content either because it's pretty boring and I have no interest in having a perfectly sorted, clean garage at this stage of my life.

I simply won't support calling a guy "vulture culture" when he's shinning a positive, albeit different light on classic platforms and doing it pretty damn well.

You can dislike something without having to insult him is ultimately my point. I just think you're going at it the wrong way and taking outliers to brand him a "vulture culture".

We could, and probably should equally spend that time to reach out and help him on his E46 M3 build.

Comment

Originally posted by tnord View Post

maybe, but none of us have a youtube channel.
                              It's such a massive time investment for pretty much nothing - and putting yourself out there for the world to dissect what you do for little return. I've been meaning to do YouTube DIY and Build Journal videos and I got all the high end gear to do it, it just always gets pushed back for other priority projects.

Comment

You can dislike something without having to insult him is ultimately my point. I just think you're going at it the wrong way and taking outliers to brand him a "vulture culture".
                                it's not an insult it's the reality of his business model. he buys a car, puts on popular mods, and documents it in order to get exposure for the products he sells. i know a lot of people that resell sneakers. they're very aware of their standing in sneaker culture.

We could, and probably should equally spend that time to reach out and help him on his E46 M3 build.
                                i think it's laughable you're talking about him like hes some shadetree mechanic that is scrounging together resources to finish a passion project that benefits the car community.
                                he's loaded, and is clearly doing this primarily to make money, why give a business your services for free?

most of the enthusiasts on this forum are largely net negative in their "investment" into this platform but largely positive in their contribution to the community (diys, reviews, honest opinions).

you're romanticizing the wrong guy imo

Comment

Working...
                                X