Arizona Smog Test - Failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BubbaTree View Post

Thanks for the response. I'm not too good at this stuff, but I'm wondering if that relocated kit, i.e. the sensor, wiring, etc, could have failed somehow, resulting in either the evaporation or sap monitor being unable to reset. That question seems moot since the dealership is now saying that the SAP is reset, but not the evap? In any event, they are now talking about replacing the DME. Looks like I may be in the market for a used DME as well as someone to code it for this car!!
    You can have 1 monitor not ready in Arizona. If evap is the only not ready monitor then you’re good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by M3AZ View Post

You can have 1 monitor not ready in Arizona. If evap is the only not ready monitor then you’re good to go.
      Yeah, that's my understanding, and I plan to retrieve the car today. Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Comment

Finally passed emissions test. The dealership volunteered to take the car to the emissions testing shop and it passed. No one seems to know if it was tested with 1 monitor (evaporation) or if all monitors finally reset. Before returning the car to the dealership initially, I replaced the SAP pump, air hose and kombi valve, which seems to have reset that monitor. The local dealer opened a case with BMW which found an unstable current to the DMTL pump. It showed no fault codes and the dealer had no known good pump to substitute. Pump wiring is known to be good, so I'll probably replace the pump ...but not today! In any event, the car passed and registration is renewed. Thanks for all the help1
        Steve

Comment

Hello I’m having issues getting my SAS monitor to clear on my 2002 m3. I’ve replaced the pump, hose, and valve. However I can’t get the monitor to ready. I’ve done cold starts for the last week and no luck I’ve also reset codes using schwaben ob2 scanner all monitors ready with 1 drive cycle besides SAS. Were you able to find out what the issue was? And or can anyone provide help with my issue? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Yooliseez View Post
            Hello I’m having issues getting my SAS monitor to clear on my 2002 m3. I’ve replaced the pump, hose, and valve. However I can’t get the monitor to ready. I’ve done cold starts for the last week and no luck I’ve also reset codes using schwaben ob2 scanner all monitors ready with 1 drive cycle besides SAS. Were you able to find out what the issue was? And or can anyone provide help with my issue? Thanks

Are you saying you replaced the SAS parts and that monitor is now reset? I also did that, and that monitor reset after 2 drive cycles by the dealership. As mentioned earlier, I'm not certain whether or not the EVAP monitor actually reset, or whether the smog guys passed the car even though the EVAP monitor was not reset and ready for testing. AZ allows cars this age to test if only one monitor shows not ready.

Here's what I learned from this experience with AZ smog test, YRMV: DO NOT reset any fault codes you find before getting smogged; do not disconnect your battery before getting smogged; keep the car somewhere cool overnight, so the engine coolant temp is ~122 degrees when you do that morning cold start drive cycle; if you can find a BMW specific drive cycle procedure, use it;

The problem with my car turned out to be the DMTL pump in the right rear wheel well receiving a random erratic voltage current, causing it to not show ready for testing. That issue was described by BMW factory rep as an "operational fault" and it never showed a fault code on the dealer's scanning device or my Schwaben scanner.

Aside, recognizing that we all would rather maintain or repair our cars on a frugal basis, we tend to avoid local dealerships. Nearly everyone has had a poor experience with a local dealership. That said, my hat is off to Arrowhead BMW in Glendale, AZ and Mark Lauer in the service dept. Everyone involved went above and beyond in dealing with me and my car's issues. They kept the car for one week, finally resolved the issue, had a company employee drive the car to the smog station where it passed, and the total cost was surprisingly within budget.

Good luck with your problem, and keep us posted as you go.
            Steve

Comment

Here's what I learned from this experience with AZ smog test, YRMV: DO NOT reset any fault codes you find before getting smogged; do not disconnect your battery before getting smogged
              Yes immediately prior but otherwise why not? This was actually the only way I’ve been able to get car ready to set monitors last 3-4 times now.
              6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
                Yes immediately prior but otherwise why not? This was actually the only way I’ve been able to get car ready to set monitors last 3-4 times now.
                All I know is the smog folks and their hand-out instructions for the drive cycle cautioned against resetting fault codes and/or disconnecting the battery. I haven't yet had time to check fault codes with the Schwaben, but am curious to see what it shows. Doesn't matter now since the car is registered!

Comment

All I know is the smog folks and their hand-out instructions for the drive cycle cautioned against resetting fault codes and/or disconnecting the battery. I haven't yet had time to check fault codes with the Schwaben, but am curious to see what it shows. Doesn't matter now since the car is registered!
                  Well I’d guess that’s because for most who don’t know how to manipulate and do a drive cycle it resets everything and starts from scratch.
                  6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Are you saying you replaced the SAS parts and that monitor is now reset? I also did that, and that monitor reset after 2 drive cycles by the dealership. As mentioned earlier, I'm not certain whether or not the EVAP monitor actually reset, or whether the smog guys passed the car even though the EVAP monitor was not reset and ready for testing. AZ allows cars this age to test if only one monitor shows not ready.

Here's what I learned from this experience with AZ smog test, YRMV: DO NOT reset any fault codes you find before getting smogged; do not disconnect your battery before getting smogged; keep the car somewhere cool overnight, so the engine coolant temp is ~122 degrees when you do that morning cold start drive cycle; if you can find a BMW specific drive cycle procedure, use it;

The problem with my car turned out to be the DMTL pump in the right rear wheel well receiving a random erratic voltage current, causing it to not show ready for testing. That issue was described by BMW factory rep as an "operational fault" and it never showed a fault code on the dealer's scanning device or my Schwaben scanner.

Aside, recognizing that we all would rather maintain or repair our cars on a frugal basis, we tend to avoid local dealerships. Nearly everyone has had a poor experience with a local dealership. That said, my hat is off to Arrowhead BMW in Glendale, AZ and Mark Lauer in the service dept. Everyone involved went above and beyond in dealing with me and my car's issues. They kept the car for one week, finally resolved the issue, had a company employee drive the car to the smog station where it passed, and the total cost was surprisingly within budget.

Good luck with your problem, and keep us posted as you go.
                    Steve
                    I failed CA smog due to Secondary air system and cats, I preformed the drive cycle with cold start and the cats cleared. However SAS did not, the next morning upon cold start the Air pump was not turning on. I replaced the pump, hose, and egr valve attached to motor. I now have been trying to get the secondary air system to ready every morning with cold starts and have been unable to do so.

Comment

Bump?

Comment

Working...
                      X