Best self-centering shifter for SMG to Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.wReckless View Post
    For those who might still be interested and following. This 1/2 and 5/6 gate from the CAE version had me intrigued, so much I treated myself to one and express shipped it to me this week. Will install tomorrow.

Quality is really good, but to be expected, but I don't think RTD's version is any less so, the main difference is CAE is aluminium and RTD steel. RTD is a MUCH easier install though, and RTD I got with a metal head, whereas the CAE is some sort of plastic thing (not pictured btw).

Why CAE isn't pushing the adjustable gate side to their product is beyond me, it's pretty much unique to have this much adjustability:

Full size CAE vs "street size" RTD. Not crazy different, but I think I should have gotten the shorter CAE version, but at the time of ordering (1 am), I for some reason thought only the long version had the gate adjustability. Hey ho.. I'll survive.

RTD now for sale btw.
    I thought the RTD did have gate adjustment. Just not as refined to be able to stop how far to the side it can go when the reverse lockout is engaged. This is the pic I saw where I got that from.

Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.php?attachmentid=1991240&stc=1&d=1550205899.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	124920
    2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
    2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
    2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Went from RTD to a CAE and don't regret it at all. The RTD just felt sloppy even though it was "self-centering". Even after you punch it into gear, it looked like it flops over. Ultimately wasn't a fan of it and with the CAE, it checks all the boxes of how it should feel to shift.

Comment

Ohh I like that cover!

Does the small version not require you to cut the trim? I cant tell if you shifter trim it cut, but I cant close my coin tray cover so something is different.
        2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
        2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
        2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

How much effort increased when going to a CAE shifter ?

Just wondering if anyone has tried both the long and the short version to explain the effort increases ?

i.e. 40% reduction in throw increases effort by 40% (typically)

Also - is the side to side play in the gate eliminated with the CAE ?

Comment

Originally posted by SandeepM3 View Post
            Ohh I like that cover!

Does the small version not require you to cut the trim? I cant tell if you shifter trim it cut, but I cant close my coin tray cover so something is different.

It still requires you to cut the trim. It has the tiniest of notches out of the tray, but once closed, it's closed, so no using it at all.

Originally posted by loudspeaker69 View Post
            How much effort increased when going to a CAE shifter ?

Just wondering if anyone has tried both the long and the short version to explain the effort increases ?

i.e. 40% reduction in throw increases effort by 40% (typically)

Also - is the side to side play in the gate eliminated with the CAE ?
            I can't say the difference between long and short, but gate play is nearly eliminated because of the way the pins are adjusted for each gate entry.

Comment

Originally posted by SandeepM3 View Post

I thought the RTD did have gate adjustment. Just not as refined to be able to stop how far to the side it can go when the reverse lockout is engaged. This is the pic I saw where I got that from.

Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.php?attachmentid=1991240&stc=1&d=1550205899.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	124920
              Yeah I'm guessing RTD introduced this on their locking shifter? But as you say only with right/left stops and no adjustable gate for the reverse it seems.. RTD is still a nice product IMO, but the added adjustability of the CAE version sets it apart from all the rest.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by ra2fanatic View Post
                Went from RTD to a CAE and don't regret it at all. The RTD just felt sloppy even though it was "self-centering". Even after you punch it into gear, it looked like it flops over. Ultimately wasn't a fan of it and with the CAE, it checks all the boxes of how it should feel to shift.

Do you have some more pictures of the fitment?
                Jet Black E46 M3
                ex - Broom Yellow Fiat Coupe 400++ hp 1.8 -> 2.0 16VT 👿
                R.I.P. Speed Red Fiat Coupe 2.0 16VT 👻

Comment

I don't feel any difference in effort or feel in shift quality between the RTD and the CAE. It's just nice to have the stops for the added security that you are at the right gate and will engage the gear you want providing the synchro rings are playing ball.

Monumentally more work to fit the CAE though.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
                    If you understand this one key thing, it will save you a lot of headache - all these shifters (IRP, CAE, Coolerworx, RTD, etc) are self centering, but they are not all appropriate for the smg car without bell housing machining.

Self centering, basically means it has 1 main super strong torsion spring that will yank the lever into N between 3/4. That is all that self centering means.

What do you do about all the other gates, R, 1/2, 5/6, how do you define them, that by moving the top of the lever 0.5inches to the left, you will be in 1/2 gate, vs moving it 1inch to the left you will be in R gate...

Well, the R gate you can solve with the locking mechanism they offer (most refer to it as a "lockout", which is a metal ring that sits just under the knob that operates a cable that pulls out the pin, which then allows you to move the shifter way left to get to R gate), which I suggest you get. Without it, plenty of stories of driving spiritedly and trying to shift from 3 to 2, yanking on the lever too hard to the left and instead of landing in 1/2 gate you get all the way over to R.

The other gate definitions like 1/2, 5/6 are what the bell housing machining does for you with the added detents. Without it, you will just be on a Microsoft flight simulator joystick (exaggeration).

There is a solution to that problem and it is the self centering shifters that have gate definitions, i.e little pins/screws that you can adjust. Not all of them have it... For example if you look at the Coolerworx street/short version, it does not have those, while the Pro version does. CAE does, I don't believe IRP or RTD have them. (random pic of CAE pins below as example).

The ones without reverse lockouts or the adjustment pins/screws are smaller and more compact and do not require trimming console pieces.

I am not here to rank shifters for you, I am here to arm you with some info to help you with your ultimate decision.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm starting to look into converting my smg. I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. You can convert without machining the Bell housing with the CAE shifter? Also, is there a parts list you could direct me to for going this route? I would assume a pedal assembly, slave cylinder, shifter and some computer coding is all. But that seems too easy. Are there any random small washers or plates needed?

I've seen a couple of videos on YouTube where they converted an smg car and didn't even drop the transmission. I'll be putting in a new clutch, I figure since its coming out anyways might as well put a 3rd pedal in.
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

There's a comprehensive SMG to Manual thread somewhere which lists the parts. By using a self-centering shifter you don't need to machine the bell housing so the specific parts for the OEM manual gear stick can be omitted.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                      X