Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many times can rod bearings be changed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many times can rod bearings be changed?

We know the rod bolts are torque to yield, what about the rods? Is there a limit to the number of times you can torque the bolts in those female threads?

Edit:
    The reason I ask is I may have made a small mistake when installing my rod bearings and wanted to check the install again. From my understanding, since I already torqued the new bolts 3 times I would have to buy new bolts and re-install them.

-Can the M10 bolts be torqued 4 times?
    -Do the threads in the rod wear out by doing that torque sequence multiple times?
    Last edited by cobra; 09-01-2021, 06:18 PM.

The bolts stretching is what provides the clamping force. The female threads are fine as long as there is no visible damage.
    2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Anthracite Impuse - SOLD

2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Black Nappa Leather
    Karbonius | Supersprint | Cat Cams | Beisan | Fikse Wheels | Mile End Composites | AST 5200 | Hotchkis | Brembo | Recaro | Rouge SMF | RTD | Yellow Tag Rack | HTE Performance

Comment

This is what TIS has to say about torquing the M10 bolts more than three times:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210901-222753_Chrome Beta.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	124436

​​​​​Did you buy the bolts from FCP? If so, you could just get new ones for free
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I did buy them from FCP. Good idea. Though it looks like I could do a 4th torque no problem.

Is there a place I can find the TIS? I see it so commonly referenced but don't have the file myself.

Comment

Is it worth the risk to reuse the bolts? Are you going to be satisfied the bearings are ok and then wonder about the bolts?
          '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Alpine 330iT
          Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
          Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
            Is it worth the risk to reuse the bolts?
            According to BMW, the bolts must be tighten more than 2 times and less than 6 times. So no risk if they are tighten just 4 times.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

According to BMW, the bolts must be tighten more than 2 times and less than 6 times. So no risk if they are tighten just 4 times.
              Yes, I understand the instructions. But if that was the case why not just reuse the original bolts? They were likely tightened 3x in the past, so the could have 1-2 more cycles left. For $70 I'd replace them, its not like we are talking about hundreds of dollars in savings.

EDIT: My point about worth the risk is that if the OP is already concerned the job wasn't done right the first time, will he lay awake at night wondering about the bolts if he doesn't replace them?
              '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Alpine 330iT

Comment

Yes, I understand the instructions. But if that was the case why not just reuse the original bolts? They were likely tightened 3x in the past, so the could have 1-2 more cycles left. For $70 I'd replace them, its not like we are talking about hundreds of dollars in savings.

EDIT: My point about worth the risk is that if the OP is already concerned the job wasn't done right the first time, will he lay awake at night wondering about the bolts if he doesn't replace them?
                Yeah I am replacing them. No worries

I take it you can pick up on my OCD and know that I will stay up at night thinking about such things. Either that or we're both mentally ill and can understand one another.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post

Yeah I am replacing them. No worries

I take it you can pick up on my OCD and know that I will stay up at night thinking about such things. Either that or we're both mentally ill and can understand one another.
                  Maybe both, lol. I try to show my clients all sides of the equation because at the end of the day what keeps you awake at night is what matters. If they know the good and the bad then they can make the best decision for THEM, that's why it doesn't really matter what you do as long as you are comfortable.

As an aside I did bearings on a S65 a long time ago. I got it all put back together, I mean ALL put back together. I went to start it and I was going over my checklist in my head and I had this feeling I didn't torque a rod. So I pulled everything back apart and checked, they were all torqued but I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep if I didn't check.

Comment

Maybe both, lol. I try to show my clients all sides of the equation because at the end of the day what keeps you awake at night is what matters. If they know the good and the bad then they can make the best decision for THEM, that's why it doesn't really matter what you do as long as you are comfortable.

As an aside I did bearings on a S65 a long time ago. I got it all put back together, I mean ALL put back together. I went to start it and I was going over my checklist in my head and I had this feeling I didn't torque a rod. So I pulled everything back apart and checked, they were all torqued but I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep if I didn't check.
                    Yep. Exactly. Last time I did a project I told myself I would wear my gopro and video the entire thing so I could go back and watch it and put my fears to rest. I always get lazy and don't do it though.

Name:	84819107bbd3c5c137b5a0ec51ce17b3c87d601c067e8de47b2ba997ba15fb9c_1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	124791

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post

Yep. Exactly. Last time I did a project I told myself I would wear my gopro and video the entire thing so I could go back and watch it and put my fears to rest. I always get lazy and don't do it though.

Name:	84819107bbd3c5c137b5a0ec51ce17b3c87d601c067e8de47b2ba997ba15fb9c_1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	124791
                      lol yep

Comment

Were you in a rush? This happens when we are not mindful.

Comment

For me I have autopilot mode which is capable of doing everything perfectly correct, but doesn't register in my short-term memory. So I have a hard time remembering if I did something or not. It takes special effort to consciously think about each step, take notes/photos, and have that extra level of comfort knowing it was done exactly right.

Comment

LOL

Comment

For me...I was probably drinking a beer, smoking a cigar while working on my car in my 110 degree garage. Yeah...I've missed one or two things. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X