Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very low mileage but long time on oil. Do I really need to change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very low mileage but long time on oil. Do I really need to change?

So I last changed the oil on my M3 in October 2018 using TWS. But Ive only put about 1764 miles on the oil. I just checked the dipstick and its still almost clear, does not have the usual dark brown/black color oil usually gets.

Do I REALLY need to change it? My understanding is oil gets acidic as its sitting in the oil pan with combustion by products, which is why the time interval exists. Is this really a big deal? My m3 sees so little use. I dont beat on it hard when I do take it out but it does see a few trips to redline here and there.

I recall an interview with Blackstone labs CEO who said time does not matter. It's the mileage. That said, 3 years is a good amount and probably worth changing for peace of mind.

The real message here is... you should drive your car more!

Comment

ha! I decided to just do it. the oil came out still looking almost clear.

And yes I should drive it more. I try to start it and take it out every few months. I lost touch with many of my car circle friends having two young kids and stopped goign to the track. now i just look at the m3 and remember my youth!

Comment

$80-100 a year at minimum to keep the engine clean. Even if it doesn't do anything, it's not expensive enough to where I'd take the risk. When I store cars, I usually drain them.

Comment

Fresh oil for storage.
          Fresh oil and run for a minute to circulate/flush the oiling circuit, then store the car.
          Used oil has the products of combustion in it.
          These byproducts tend to acidify the oil.
          This is not good for the bearings.

Comment

man i dunno what is up. the last 2 oil changes. I put in EXACTLY 5.5L (and I checked its LITERS not quarts) and the damn thing is overfilled.

This time its just slightly above the high mark... Should I drain out or is it ok?

Comment

Originally posted by FBloggs View Post
              Used oil has the products of combustion in it.
              These byproducts tend to acidify the oil.
              This is not good for the bearings.

having a hard time following this logic. oil made acidic by combustion doesnt get more acidic over time if that's what you're worried about

Comment

Low mileage annual oil change should also include general lube which sometimes gets overlooked:
                Door hinges 3M 8876
                Door locks, brake tracks, seat tracks, etc. 3M 8878
                Sunroof Klüberoil 4 UH1-460 N / 83192157321
                etc.

Probably not absolutely necessary, but good practice.
                Last edited by bmw; 09-13-2021, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

having a hard time following this logic. oil made acidic by combustion doesnt get more acidic over time if that's what you're worried about
                  i don't think he meant to imply that the PH decreases over time. It would sound reasonable to me, however, if an increase in acidity would lead to a faster breakdown of the oil and its additives
                  2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

to be honest, when i was draining the oil into my collection thing for disposal, the oil felt pretty thin.. so im glad i changed it

Comment

Its not the time, its the miles. Oil does not go bad just sitting inside the engine.
                      BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

I've read so many different opinions on this issue I don't know what to believe. If I ever find something from an expert maybe I'll change my mind, but I've been changing mine annually as I've only driven it maybe 1000 miles/yr for the last 5+ years.

This year I had planned on doing rod bearings this spring after discovering my build was a hybrid 2003.5 that may or may not have had the bearing updates. That plan fell apart and the car is just now in the shop. I didn't spin it past 6k all year, and only drove it every couple weeks for a bit just to keep things moving and lubricated, in part because of old oil, but also suspect bearings.

Probably overly cautious, but having something catastrophic happen because of procrastination would have been the worst.
                        Last edited by tnord; 09-14-2021, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sev View Post
                          man i dunno what is up. the last 2 oil changes. I put in EXACTLY 5.5L (and I checked its LITERS not quarts) and the damn thing is overfilled.

This time its just slightly above the high mark... Should I drain out or is it ok?
                          Did you check it 2 minutes after shutting off engine? If you check your oil after sitting for a prolong period, it will look overfilled.

Comment

Originally posted by Xmetal View Post

Did you check it 2 minutes after shutting off engine? If you check your oil after sitting for a prolong period, it will look overfilled.
                            yeah i followed the instructions to a t. Its up to the top ball... dunno why this keeps happening to me.

I need to get something suck some oil out

Comment

Originally posted by sev View Post

yeah i followed the instructions to a t. Its up to the top ball... dunno why this keeps happening to me.

I need to get something suck some oil out
                              Has the oil pan drain ever been repaired? I've seen a couple cars in which a Time-Sert thread repair was done by a shop to repair a stripped drain and the incorrect length insert was installed (they used an insert from the standard M12x1.5 kit instead of the oil pan specific 9.2mm length insert). The insert was too long and protruded in to the pan and would not allow the remaining ~0.5L of oil to drain from the pan during oil changes. This would lead to an overfill if you poured the normal amount of oil back in to the engine.

Other than that make sure the car is on a level surface, remove the oil filter housing cap, and then remove the drain plug and let the oil fully drain.
                              SF Bay Area Vanos, Rod Bearings, Inspection II, etc. Services : Member Feedback
                              E46 M3 Track Videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/DanAvon

Comment

Working...
                              X