Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very low mileage but long time on oil. Do I really need to change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanAvoN7 View Post
    Has the oil pan drain ever been repaired? I've seen a couple cars in which a Time-Sert thread repair was done by a shop to repair a stripped drain and the incorrect length insert was installed (they used an insert from the standard M12x1.5 kit instead of the oil pan specific 9.2mm length insert). The insert was too long and protruded in to the pan and would not allow the remaining ~0.5L of oil to drain from the pan during oil changes. This would lead to an overfill if you poured the normal amount of oil back in to the engine.

Other than that make sure the car is on a level surface, remove the oil filter housing cap, and then remove the drain plug and let the oil fully drain.
    sev You can try an oil extractor pump to see if you can get any remaining oil (if you have a pump).
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

nope, no timesert on this motor. Ive done one on my old s54 mcoupe. So strange...

Comment

OP the same thing happened to me. Between 2017-2020 I only added 1,200 miles on my car. In between that I did an oil change in 2018 and another one in 2020. I just had my oil changed this past month when I had my rod bearings replaced. It’s been about 400 miles since my last oil change in 2020.

On average Ive added about 500-1000 miles per year for my past 16 years of ownership. I have the oil changed every April at the beginning of car season along with my NY state inspection.

Overkill? I’m sure it is. But I’d rather be safe than sorry.

Off topic, are you keeping the car on a battery tender while the car isn’t in use ?
        Last edited by DropTopKingM3; 09-14-2021, 10:53 PM.

Comment

I keep it on a tender over the winter, but I make sure to drive mine a bit every couple weeks to keep everything lubricated and going through it's range of motion. That usually includes an italian tune up also.

Comment

Originally posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post
            OP the same thing happened to me. Between 2017-2020 I only added 1,200 miles on my car. In between that I did an oil change in 2018 and another one in 2020. I just had my oil changed this past month when I had my rod bearings replaced. It’s been about 400 miles since my last oil change in 2020.

On average Ive added about 500-1000 miles per year for my past 16 years of ownership. I have the oil changed every April at the beginning of car season along with my NY state inspection.

Overkill? I’m sure it is. But I’d rather be safe than sorry.

Off topic, are you keeping the car on a battery tender while the car isn’t in use ?
            interesting. in that time have you seen any non-use type of wear? leaks, bad seals etc? I start and drive it lightly about 3-4 months on average. all the fluids are new except the p/s fluid, and ive gone out of my way to use OE on everthing and pentosin for brake fluid.

so i have one of those green battery tenders. i was leaving it on the tender for months on end and it killed the battery and took the airbag module with it (battery was low and undervolted on startup and somehow locked the airbag module out) so now i just pop it on the tender for a week or two, and pop it off and let it sit for a while, seems to keep the battery in good shape.

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

sev You can try an oil extractor pump to see if you can get any remaining oil (if you have a pump).
              i have one but the hose isnt long enough to put down the oil dipstick tube. i need to pick one up, or maybe get the blackstone sucker.

Fun fact: last oil change in 2018. i completed the oil change, before a track day... went to check it and it was WAY overfilled. being pressed for time, i had the dumb idea while the motor was warm/hot to undo the drain plug quick and let some oil out and put it back in. it didnt go to plan and i couldnt get the drain plug back in time, and the hot oil almost burned my hand.. i had to let the entire thing drain out with brand new oil... then I had to spend the evening driving around auto part stores to find 10w60.

Next day track day, car blows powerflex FCABs i had just put in.... since then the car's been fixed mostly sitting. lol.

Comment

neighbor helped me suck out oil. we ende dup sucking out a little over a liter and now the oil level is on the lower half between range. Crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by sev View Post

interesting. in that time have you seen any non-use type of wear? leaks, bad seals etc? I start and drive it lightly about 3-4 months on average. all the fluids are new except the p/s fluid, and ive gone out of my way to use OE on everthing and pentosin for brake fluid.

so i have one of those green battery tenders. i was leaving it on the tender for months on end and it killed the battery and took the airbag module with it (battery was low and undervolted on startup and somehow locked the airbag module out) so now i just pop it on the tender for a week or two, and pop it off and let it sit for a while, seems to keep the battery in good shape.
                  I use the old school oem BMW battery tender that plugs into the cigarette lighter. My last Bosch battery lasted nearly 9 years as a result. The only reason why it crapped out is bc someone unplugged the trickle charger and the battery died down and went kaput after that.

As far as seals and leaks there haven’t been any out of the ordinary. The typical CPV o ring and valve cover gasket. I do have flat spots on my continental tires. I’ll be replacing them since I’ve had them since 2014.

Comment

Working...
                  X