What about the E46M does it for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimbo's M View Post
    I suppose besides some exotics, I doubt too many twenty plus year old designs still command thumbs up from the enthusiast crowd. Albeit certainly not as much as earlier years (it was downright ridiculous...), but still get them to this day.
    I feel like the the thumbs up have been following a bathtub curve. Tons when new, less from ~2010-2018, but recently way up again. I feel like I can’t go anywhere in it now without a thumbs up and/or people talking to me about it.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by loudspeaker69 View Post
      You can fit four 275 tires in the back seat ?
      NT01 in 275/35-18. I also got 275 BFG R1 (which is even wider) to fit as well, just barely
      People are surprised when they see me unload the car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200927_152838265 1600.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	127395

Comment

For me, it starts when I sit in the driver's seat. I look out the dashboard, and where the windshield ends, the road starts. It emotionally and physically connects me to the road. No grand hood that extends out the front that tells you there is something _between_ you and the road.

At a red light, waiting for the green light, it makes me smile when I tap the gas pedal a bit fast .. the car buckles as that lovely engine revs. And, that, is the key. How happy that marvelous S54 is to rev and rev and rev, screaming to the red line at 8,000 RPM.

The sound of that engine ... just intoxicating. And I didn't even start my CSL conversion project yet.

Leaving it at a lower gear and slowly coasting to a stop, feeling how the engine continues to keep you connected to the road, 1:1 .. no adapting, no translation, it is what it is.

Had this bad experience on a G20 loaner the other day .. where I was softly riding the brakes coming to a stop at a red light. All the various computers did their best to adapt, adjust, modulate and kind of ruin it. The engine slows down, the brakes get modulated, the automatic box downshifts, something else happens. Every little thing is telling you there are numerous little gremlins working (sometimes against) with you and maybe you are not in full control.

And at the end of it all, when I go to pick up groceries or drop the kids off at school, all the practically is there.

One ... Great ... Package
        2004 Mystic Blue M3 | 6-speed | Coupe
        Karbonius CSL-style airbox | OEM CSL snorkel & flap | Schrick 280 / 272 cams with followers | CSL inconel exhaust valves
        SuperSprint 63.5mm stepped headers, section-1 with sport cats, and resonated twin-pipe section-2
        ITG CSL Airbox Airfilter| Karbonius E46 microfilter cover
        Karbonius M3 E46 CSL trunklid | Ohlin's BMS MI30 coilovers

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post
          Its the package. There are cars that look better, there are cars that have better engines, better suspensions, and handle/perform better. There are cars that are more luxurious, or more sporty, better appointed, and just better in any of the multiple areas and metrics that you can measure the car's performance, looks, etc. E46 just has combination of those qualities that makes it pretty darn hard to beat. Swiss knife of a sports car.
          The only thing I disagree with is that there are better looking cars. I guess I can't be so biased to say it's the best looking car, but nothing beats it in my opinion. I'm not talking about exotics (which I'm not that fond of actually. I live in the real world, not fantasy land no offense). No passenger car looks better to me. Only e39 maybe, but they're very similar ofc. That's not saying there aren't other great cars before anyone starts arguing. Just my opinion.
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I feel like the the thumbs up have been following a bathtub curve. Tons when new, less from ~2010-2018, but recently way up again. I feel like I can’t go anywhere in it now without a thumbs up and/or people talking to me about it.
            This is the case now for sure. Only strange thing is that I get more hate and jealously in my modded slicktop, but only thumbs up or hey I love those cars in the stock prefacelift coupe.
            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

This is the case now for sure. Only strange thing is that I get more hate and jealously in my modded slicktop,
              Why's that?

We could talk about aesthetics, features, experience all day and nothing new would come of it. It's all the details, the oval mirrors, the steering wheel, the dash, buttons, sensations and such.

There are literally no design flaws, it's just a good looking car. You can't help but look back at it when you walk away. Even the engine bay looks good, great with an airbox.

The ITBs and carbon airbox are the reasons why I've kept the car.
              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                All I know is mine was very rough when I bought it (still is in many ways compared to some cars on this forum) I have spent a small fortune restoring and just like, bringing it up to date. Why didn't I just sell it right away and cut my losses? I think you guys all get it, it's the driving experience. It's a super fun and rewarding car. I know I'd miss it if I got rid of it.
                This was exactly the case for me. I originally bought mine back in 2013 w/ the big 3 barely done + engine rebuild. Though, not the best example, it just felt right; from the clean pulls onto the freeways, the connections through the turns, to the exhaust notes and aesthetics. The cockpit size was also just perfect for me. Being of an extra-extra shmedium build, everything was at just the right height/distance for me.

Unfortunately, I had to sell it off when I moved out of the country not too long after I bought it to pay off some debts. Luckily a buddy of mine took it and just recently I bought it back as I've moved back. The car was kept almost the same as I left it and now that I'm more financially stable, I've dumped a lot more than I initially thought I'd spend(the small bits really do add up😣). I don't think I'll ever let it go again and as much as I try to baby it, I always find myself mashing close to redline and taking the curviest way home.

Comment

Yes… it’s starting to get like other cars, with people talking about the ones they sold and wish they hadn’t, etc…. I had tons of those experiences looking for my 500E… people like “oh no, that’s not for sale… I sold two others and regretted it instantly… never again… that ones staying with me”… good condition stock looking E46M will start getting unsolicited offers soon… it’s the next stage of the evolution… some cars you just don’t sell.

maw
                  Last edited by maw1124; 09-19-2021, 06:42 AM.

Comment

This is the case now for sure. Only strange thing is that I get more hate and jealously in my modded slicktop, but only thumbs up or hey I love those cars in the stock prefacelift coupe.
                    Of all my cars, I strangely get the most thumbs up/comments/etc in the M3 wagon. This weirds me out, because there's no visual indication it's not a standard 3 series wagon (other than being badged 332i, but you have to be pretty deep in to get that) with the M sport/ZHP body work and some 17" RG-Rs. That thing is absurdly attention getting, everywhere I go.

... reminds me that I need to set some time aside to get the M3 mirrors mounted up on it

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i
                    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

It's got the crack and I'm not talking about the subframe.
                      2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                      2005 BMW ///M3
                      Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                      2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                      2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                      2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

Why's that?

We could talk about aesthetics, features, experience all day and nothing new would come of it. It's all the details, the oval mirrors, the steering wheel, the dash, buttons, sensations and such.

There are literally no design flaws, it's just a good looking car. You can't help but look back at it when you walk away. Even the engine bay looks good, great with an airbox.

The ITBs and carbon airbox are the reasons why I've kept the car.
                        No design flaws? What lol…

Assuming you’re referring to this from a design perspective, might as well burn all the CSL trunks.

Comment

Of all my cars, I strangely get the most thumbs up/comments/etc in the M3 wagon. This weirds me out, because there's no visual indication it's not a standard 3 series wagon (other than being badged 332i, but you have to be pretty deep in to get that) with the M sport/ZHP body work and some 17" RG-Rs. That thing is absurdly attention getting, everywhere I go.

... reminds me that I need to set some time aside to get the M3 mirrors mounted up on it
                          Because wagons are on 🔥 right now... and the S54 is always on fire... you might get offered.

maw

Comment

What type of hate and jealousy are you getting?
                            Instagram: @s54.m3

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo View Post

What type of hate and jealousy are you getting?
                              They wish they owned a slick top, that’s why

Comment

Like a lot of posters say,

The looks, I adore the E46 Coupe chassis with the M widebody hips. Excellent looks!
                                The engine power and car weight as well as technology. It is "right", not too much power to get in trouble, but enough for the road to get a nice shove in the back.
                                Newer cars gets too complicated and interior tech that dates cars, my non nav-screen M comes across as timeless of sorts.
                                The price/age/performance. I bought one with some miles on it, the major 3 have been attended and I bought cheap and just focused on upgrades and servicing as well as mods to my personal taste. The platform was/is popular so there's plenty of upgrades to get that'll suit any wallet, and I'll never loose money on my car because of age and mileage, which means I'm not afraid of using it, which is a big important piece to me. I had a car that became a garage queen and it negates the purpose IMO.

Finally, it has character. It sort of left me stranded once due to the water pump failing. But, yeah it's an old car so it needs some TLC, it starts and goes, but occasionally there'll be some parts that breaks and needs replacing. That's one side of it, but driving it, there's clunks from the diff, the CSL intake is nuts, there's chatter in the steering wheel and noises from the not-perfect gearbox and shift. Love it or hate it, it brings emotion to the driving experience. It has flaws and isn't perfect, but that gives it loads of character and makes it so enjoyable and rewarding to own and drive.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                                X