What about the E46M does it for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

You can't help but look back at it when you walk away.
    My wife always makes fun of me for this exact reason when we take the car somewhere.

This is my second E46 M and it grabs me for many of the same reasons already mentioned. It likes to grab my wallet too.

Comment

Of the 4 BMWs that I've owned, the E39 540i 6 with all the goodies was the best of the bunch. BUT, even with all it's drivability warts, the E46, coupe or convertible, just has the classic, good looks that keeps me hangin' on!

Comment

Looks and sound (from the drivers seat, especially with the CSL box). While the rest of the driving experience is excellent too, there are plenty of other cars I could perfectly happily drive instead both on the street and track. My ND2 Miata is one of them.

Comment

Bought mine at the bottom of the market. Its appreciated in value by at least 75% based on current asking prices

Comment

Forgive me if someone already said it, but I also love that the E46 M is the BEST E46 available. Unlike an entry level 996 Carrera that lives in the shadow of GT and Turbo cars, you don't have to constantly think about "Ooh, maybe if I got OE part X, it'll be great(er)!" I always wince a little when I read about people trying to swap whole drivetrains over to their 330i or Civic EX or non-STi WRX or whatever.....it feels nice to not constantly think about that better factory setup.

The other aspect I love about the E46 M3 is what it represents in BMW's history. Sure the E9X is probably more literally the true "end of the evolution" as the final "E" 3-series, but with the E46, you get the absolute pinnacle of decades of inline 6 development. It feels more like the real final take on that classic mix: N/A, I6, RWD, 6MT, Coupe, etc.
            2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
            ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Summer SoCal night, 74 degrees, carbon airbox (and quiet exhaust FTW), and many thumbs up. I sincerely struggle to find something that can carry my family on PCH and at the same time provide so much driving pleasure that you know in your heart that (God Willing) you will keep this car for as long as you can. It's a bit cheesy but I can say that the community as well has been great, I've met some amazing individuals that I wouldn't have otherwise because of this car, it's really humbling.

Mic sucked, apologies, but you get the idea:

| 06 6 Speed Vert - JB on Cinnamon| Beisan | ACL Rod Bearings | ST Sway Bar | TMS CSL Box | Megan headers | H.T.E Tune | 550 Injectors | OEM Section 1, 2, 3| 200 Cell Cats | OEM SSK | Bilstein B12| 712 yellow tag |

Comment

Originally posted by ridebikes View Post
                Forgive me if someone already said it, but I also love that the E46 M is the BEST E46 available. Unlike an entry level 996 Carrera that lives in the shadow of GT and Turbo cars, you don't have to constantly think about "Ooh, maybe if I got OE part X, it'll be great(er)!" I always wince a little when I read about people trying to swap whole drivetrains over to their 330i or Civic EX or non-STi WRX or whatever.....it feels nice to not constantly think about that better factory setup.

The other aspect I love about the E46 M3 is what it represents in BMW's history. Sure the E9X is probably more literally the true "end of the evolution" as the final "E" 3-series, but with the E46, you get the absolute pinnacle of decades of inline 6 development. It feels more like the real final take on that classic mix: N/A, I6, RWD, 6MT, Coupe, etc.
                ssshhhh you'll upset the CSL chasers

Comment

Aesthetics: Looks like a running back in a nicely-tailored suite
                  Engine: Smooth, yet raw. Eager to please like mans best friend. Exudes heritage and prestige
                  Chassis: Perfect balance of nimble and solid.
                  Controls: Analog where it's needed, automated where it's not. Tactile. Comfortable.
                  Accessibility: For its size, swallows cargo like a thai hooker. Maintenance is like working with Legos.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo View Post

What type of hate and jealousy are you getting?
                    Everyone wants race, even new turbo cars it's so pathetic. If I'm sitting at a light, "sporty cars" that are turning to go the other way see me and then rev their engines and take the corner fast and accelerate

I had a guy in a fucking lifted Tacoma try to race me and went into oncoming traffic on a one lane road, had to get back hehind me, then over took me.

I just get mean looks a lot tbh. But in the steelgrey 2002, everyone wants to be friendly and talk about the car. It's really weird.

DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Haha oh boy. There is something in the m3 that makes people retarded for some reason.

Back in the day, guys would say they'd be cruising at 25 through their neighborhoods in their stock m3s and people would yell slow down!

I can't believe you got overtaken by a tacoma though.
                      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Why is that not believable? Do you think we actually raced and he beat me? lol

Comment

IMO the E46 M3 is/will be the goldilocks sports car of ICE vehicles

overall it's just a very ideal car from whatever standpoint you judge it on like size/shape/power/safety/practicality

the problem i personally find with that however, is that driving it eventually makes you wonder what you could sacrifice to sharpen the driving experience. you end up noticing things like

- it would be a much more intimate cockpit if it didn't have to hold 5 people
                          - it'd be more of a hoot to drive if you sacrificed some street legality/safety for a couple hundred more HP

this is exacerbated if you own any other sports car, which end up feeling not as ideal as the E46 M3, but that can be interpreted as having more character

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                            Why is that not believable? Do you think we actually raced and he beat me? lol
                            that you let him
                            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Ya I let him, he was endangering everyone.

It's literally becoming not fun to take the car out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                                Ya I let him, he was endangering everyone.

It's literally becoming not fun to take the car out.
                                What muffler do you have on the car you get the hate in?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Working...
                                X