Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

that you let him
    Why would he mess with some road raging asshole in a pickup? Better to shake your head, realize that guy’s life sucks, and move on than risk an accident or worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

What muffler do you have on the car you get the hate in?
      Stock! But with hotboi 82mm tips and a straightpipe v1 sect 1.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

My car never really gets any special attention besides the occasional thumbs up or stranger asking what model year it is, which is just how I prefer it. It’s the understated looks I mentioned earlier that causes the car to be mostly ignored by the masses despite the deep blue paint, and that will forever keep me out of any Porsche … most of which while pretty in some ways are way too gaudy for my tastes. (Ducks for cover)

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

Why would he mess with some road raging asshole in a pickup? Better to shake your head, realize that guy’s life sucks, and move on than risk an accident or worse.
          Proof that sarcasm doesn’t read well.
          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
            Ya I let him, he was endangering everyone.

It's literally becoming not fun to take the car out.
            Yeah... I get this in my S55 a lot by idiots in Hellcats... I'm like "ok let's assume yours is faster... I'll still take mine"... as I pull off from the light like the old man I am... got no time for that shit.

maw

Comment

The joy of backroads. No lights, no traffic. Nobody other than the occasional farmer on a tractor to ruin your drive.
              3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                The joy of backroads. No lights, no traffic. Nobody other than the occasional farmer on a tractor to ruin your drive.
                Not a back road for me, but US93 between Wickenburg, AZ and I40 headed to Vegas opened up a new four lane divide highway back in the mid 2000's and gave me an appreciation for the car (or any car for that matter) I had never experienced before. It was easily my "autobaun" experience, and with very little traffic due to it's "newness", cruising at 110 for 30-ish miles was easy and safe. The silky smooth jet black pavement, white stripes zipping by, gentle sweepers, and purring S54 made it sooo intoxicating to drive fast on. Too bad that's in the past, but at least got the feel.

Comment

As others have stated, this car is very nicely balanced - - it has just the right amount of tech and creature comforts while retaining a very spartan character about it. Cruising around town, this car is refined and well put together - it doesn't come off as ostentatious, especially in stock form and with neutral colors. Downshift and put your foot on the gas on an open highway, the car is a whole different animal. It is raw, visceral, and elicits an immediate adrenaline rush for the driver and passengers alike. Take it on a mountain road with the traction control off and you may find yourself needing a pair of Depends! To be honest there really isn't anything quite like it especially given the price point. I haven't driven too many higher end cars or exotics, but I would assume you'd be hard pressed to find anything similar in terms of performance and practicality for under $100k.

Aftermarket parts selection and quality, as well as 3rd party support and immense online knowledge base is hard to beat. Its crazy to think after 20+ years, aftermarket parts, support, and tuning capabilities have improved dramatically. Fatal flaws such as RACP and VANOS issues have all been resolved. With basic bolt on mods and remote tuning, everyday Joes can experience a miniature version of the glorious McLaren F1 induction noise (although not cheap by any means, but still affordable relatively speaking).

From the looks department, I think it is a timeless design. The lines are very utilitarian and clean. I think the simplicity of the design has really enabled it to age gracefully; with the right wheels and color combination, I think it looks just as good if not better than the latest and greatest on the road.

My only complaint? Ludicrously expensive gas prices here in California (feels like I'm driving from station to station to fill up!), and yep too many sh!thead drivers on the road. With clean examples becoming more rare and appreciating in value, like many of you I'm reluctant to take it out for a spin. I just pray that I'll never have to call insurance to file a claim because we all know how that's going to end up even with an agreed upon value policy.

Comment

The car is peak BMW design and engine. It represents a point in time when BMW M was at its very best.

For me it starts with looks. I couldn't be passionate about a car that didn't look the part. The basic e46 as-is already has sublime proportions. But in M3 trim- with its purposeful bulges is the best looking compact executive car ever. Period. It helps to take a step back and see how BMW gradually got here too. Decades upon decades of understated form-follows-function design all led up to this design before they lost the plot and went after a flashier look starting with the e9x generation.

Then you fire it up and youre greeted with arguably the most characterful engine this side of 10 cylinders. Nothing in 8 cylinders (flat or crossplane) exudes character like the s54. People will say "what about the s65" but the S65 doesn't have the traditional BMW inline-6 lineage- nor does its sound intoxicate me. To me, only the GT3 flat-sixers comes close but even then they were literal decades behind on the ITB train. BMW was years ahead in 2000 giving people a mass production inline 6 engine with individual throttle bodies, finger followers, and forged internals. Even 20 years later, the list of naturally aspirated engines that come close to this level of performance per liter is quite short and skewed well above the $100k mark. Other than lockdown some of the reliability shortcomings, there is not much left to improve from a performance perspective. These were (and still are) truly cutting edge motors. Tracing lineages again, we can see how we ultimately got here:

Click image for larger version  Name:	proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2FwvfShwq2%2F9-C4-C8-E43-56-A1-4446-BE1-A-852-BF64-AA2-E4.jpg&hash=cc3b827daab35af02413e545afb5eadc.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.9 KB ID:	127863
                    Last edited by lemoose; 09-21-2021, 12:22 PM.
                    2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

Originally posted by lemoose View Post
                      The car is peak BMW design and engine.

Decades upon decades of understated form-follows-function design all led up to this design before they lost the plot and went after a flashier look starting with the e9x generation.

after the success of the bangle 7 series, bmw realized that new car buyers were totally fine with a car that just looked new and it seems like good proportions and taste were no longer that much of a priority

Comment

Originally posted by 2004LSB View Post

My only complaint? Ludicrously expensive gas prices here in California (feels like I'm driving from station to station to fill up!)
                        That damn sure ain't the M's fault....

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

Everyone wants race, even new turbo cars it's so pathetic. If I'm sitting at a light, "sporty cars" that are turning to go the other way see me and then rev their engines and take the corner fast and accelerate

I had a guy in a fucking lifted Tacoma try to race me and went into oncoming traffic on a one lane road, had to get back hehind me, then over took me.

I just get mean looks a lot tbh. But in the steelgrey 2002, everyone wants to be friendly and talk about the car. It's really weird.

My wife experiences the same thing. Every time my wife drives the M, there's always some clown on her rear bumper egging her to race. We both enjoy driving the car when no one else is around...

Comment

To me, the E46M is a perfect blend of quality, comfort and civility, while also being raw and unrefined in just the right places. Admittedly, I do wish it was available in sedan or wagon form.

It was the community that first convinced me to try the car back in 2014. I was impressed by the amount of hands-on experience shared by knowledgeable likeminded enthusiasts on the internet. I seriously considered selling my car when M3Forum first went away.
                            2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Originally posted by K-Dawg View Post
                              To me, the E46M is a perfect blend of quality, comfort and civility, while also being raw and unrefined in just the right places. Admittedly, I do wish it was available in sedan or wagon form.

It was the community that first convinced me to try the car back in 2014. I was impressed by the amount of hands-on experience shared by knowledgeable likeminded enthusiasts on the internet. I seriously considered selling my car when M3Forum first went away.
                              This played a big factor for me – at the time buying the car was a commitment to learn to work on it as well.

It's my attainable childhood dream car, my neighbor down the street when I was a kid had a jet black vert. When I saw pictures of LSBs on the internet, it was over.

I love that everything in the car serves a purpose, and have zero envy of most modern cars in any feature category. Sure the seats could be more comfortable, the audio system could probably use an upgrade, but those can be fixed and are all nitpicks on a gorgeous car with a timeless design, an intoxicating engine, and ballerina-like handling characteristics.
                              Last edited by dukeofchen; 09-23-2021, 12:05 PM.
                              '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
                              All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                                It’s the right size— hugely important to the driving experience IMO.
                                The engine rewards hard driving, which makes you want to drive it hard.
                                Perfect level of tech— Everything not related to driving it automated, nothing related to driving is automated.
                                Clear be informative cluster.
                                No gimmicks.
                                looks great.
                                great interior.
                                stupidly practical for how small it is. I LOVE the ability to have four 275s in the back seat, and still have the trunk for gear/stuff. Or, people.
                                easy to work on.
                                after locking down the big 3, surprisingly reliable. 15 years and 300,000 total miles into e46 M3 driving, I’ve been stranded once.
                                How many times have you done any or all of the big 3? 300k is awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X