Headlight ballast keep blowing out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight ballast keep blowing out!

Hey guys! It's great to see that a forum is back up again!
    Anyways...

Late 03 build/2004 model, with factory Xenon. I've gone through 3 ballast within a year. I've changed the ignitor & wires, still having the issues. The issues (flickering & turning off on bumps) happened more frequent with each replacement ballast. The last one I installed died almost instantly after turning on. Albeit, on this last ballast I added a ground wire... which has helped a friend remedy the same issue on his personal e46.

*notes
    - I changed my alternator halfway in this same time frame.
    - I've visually checked and cleaned grounding point by turn signal
    - I've visually checked for any pinches/frayed wires

BTW I purchase the AL OEM Ballast 63127176068 from lighting way for the last 3. They seem to be the same exact part, with just the AL part number and not the BMW. Luckily, they have been working with me on warranty since they happened within the year.

Is it possible the bulbs could be causing it? Maybe shitty/fake ballast? I want to get some ideas as I don't want to just keep throwing ballast at it, trying to test.

-Raj
    Last edited by L0okitzRaj; 09-18-2021, 11:42 PM.

Originally posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
    Hey guys! It's great to see that a forum is back up again!
    Anyways...

Late 03 build/2004 model, with factory Xenon. I've gone through 3 ballast within a year. I've changed the ignitor & wires, still having the issues. The issues (flickering & turning off on bumps) happened more frequent with each replacement ballast. The last one I installed died almost instantly after turning on. Albeit, on this last ballast I added a ground wire... which has helped a friend remedy the same issue on his personal e46.

*notes
    - I changed my alternator halfway in this same time frame.
    - I've visually checked and cleaned grounding point by turn signal
    - I've visually checked for any pinches/frayed wires

BTW I purchase the AL OEM Ballast 63127176068 from lighting way for the last 3. They seem to be the same exact part, with just the AL part number and not the BMW. Luckily, they have been working with me on warranty since they happened within the year.

Is it possible the bulbs could be causing it? Maybe shitty/fake ballast? I want to get some ideas as I don't want to just keep throwing ballast at it, trying to test.

-Raj
    I have a similar issue where my left low beam goes on and off at random. I've checked all the connectors and swapped the bulbs from side to side and it didn't change, but that's about as far as my interests in the issue went, so I'll be interested in what you find!

Comment

Sub'd my left headlight intermittently works. I have to turn the lights on and off several times before it will stay on.

Comment

Yea absolutely the bulbs could be the culprit. I’m surprised you didn’t start with that first (swapping bulbs from drivers to passenger) to see if the problem jumps.

i had morimoto bulbs years back and they were the cause of my flickering. Put osram cbi in and never had an issue again

but yea any headlight flickering could be bulbs, igniter or ballast.

Comment

I was just chasing an issue where my left bixenon would not want to turn on at times... Replaced the ballast with no luck. Did some research and ended up getting new Ignitors for both headlamps and the issue is cleared up (went back to my old ballasts too)

Comment

I looked at the wiring diagram and it just shows the ballast and headlight in one module, so not much I could study more into it. The ignitor can kill so be very careful when poking around it, 20 thousands Volts.

Comment

swap the bulbs first and if the problem continues it's the ballast. there are some aftermarket ballasts that have received good feedback on eBay. but from the sound of it, it's most likely the bulbs since you've changed the ballasts already.

Comment

Originally posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
                The issues (flickering & turning off on bumps) on this last ballast I added a ground wire...
                This sounds like a bad connection on the wires/connector.
                Where the ground wire was added?

Comment

Found the short boys! ...at least I think I have. I have yet to test.

Seems that the bulb wasn't in correctly, shorting the ballast.. attached are some pics

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

This sounds like a bad connection on the wires/connector.
                    Where the ground wire was added?
                    I grounded it on the main harness side of the connector to the ballast.

Comment

The lesson here is always start with the bulbs.

Thanks for clearing this up.
                      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Jumping in here as I've had issues with one headlight lately. Initially when it went out I suspected the bulb. I got a pair of Philips Ultinon D2S (they look great!) but the problem persisted. As I started looking up ballast info, the bulb began working again... but only for a day or two. It's been a few months now and it mostly doesn't work, but once in awhile comes on for a couple days before going out again.

Questions:
                        1. Where should I begin looking? Ballast? Igniter? Wiring?
                        2. Is there a way to test, or do I just buy parts and see what happens?
                        2. Where are the ballast and igniter located? Are they inside the headlight housing?

Comment

Originally posted by M3steve View Post
                          Jumping in here as I've had issues with one headlight lately. Initially when it went out I suspected the bulb. I got a pair of Philips Ultinon D2S (they look great!) but the problem persisted. As I started looking up ballast info, the bulb began working again... but only for a day or two. It's been a few months now and it mostly doesn't work, but once in awhile comes on for a couple days before going out again.

Questions:
                          2. Where are the ballast and igniter located? Are they inside the headlight housing?
                          Was it ever ignited or completely dead? The igniter only work to ignite the bulb a short moment when first turned on, then once the light was on, the ballast takes over from here. So, turn on the switch at night and observe the light behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by M3steve View Post

Questions:
                            So from my experience, my issue lasted way longer than it needed to be because i didn't diagnose correctly.

Seems like you've changed the bulbs and the issue presisted, so the next step i would do is swap ballast from left to right and see if the problem follows the ballast or stays on the same side. However, from my experience, if a ballast goes out, it usually goes out for good and never comes back on. (but don't just throw money at it like i did and not diagnose correctly, lol)

And just a follow up from my original post... it was the bulbs - seems like they weren't in correctly and it kept shorting. I replaced teh bulbs, ensured they were in correctly and all is good!
                            Last edited by L0okitzRaj; 01-06-2022, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	M3 HID.png
Views:	686
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	147341
                              wolstentech.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, wolstentech.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Working...
                              X