Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed: Doing a color change the right way - Topaz Blue to... ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed: Doing a color change the right way - Topaz Blue to... ??

I'm in the planning stages of embarking down a road very similar to robgill and his car's incredible transformation from Tiag Silver to Corsa Red (stunning color). I have a Topaz Blue (2003) car that I like very much... but have never loved the color. After going on 10 years of ownership, I never walk up to the car and go "wow". So to hell with resale values and logic: life's short, I'm doing a color change. Probably going LSB or Estoril Blue.

The chassis is mint (zero rust, never in an accident), I completely overhauled the undercarriage and rear suspension during covid lockdown, subframe is reinforced, etc. etc. So it's a great chassis to do this on - no surprises hiding underneath. Hence... in my feeble teeny simpleton brain, it makes sense to do a color change on this car. I mean, this has to be easy, right?

Like Rob, I'm planning on doing most of the work myself, less the body & paint work. I'm hoping that's the only piece I'll leave to the professionals.

My first question of what will probably be many. What is the best way to remove the engine from these cars without a lift?

I will remove the front bumper/clip per the below pic - it will look like that. I know I'll need an engine hoist. But I'm thinking about getting Quickjacks rather than relying solely on jackstands. I thought about building some kind of dolly to hold the motor and transmission as one unit, unbolt all connections (driveshaft, wiring harnesses, coolant hoses - everything) and then raise the car with the Quickjacks. Then I realized I'm probably way over-complicating this.

Click image for larger version Name:	50155929193_4a3314fd9e_z.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.9 KB ID:	48954

Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blueā€‹

Terrible, Topaz Blue is one of the rarest and sexiest colors. šŸ˜Ÿ
    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

To each their own.

Comment

Once you have the front clip off removing the motor is very easy. Engine mounts undone, prop unbolted, shift linkage disconnected, exhaust off (can probably even leave the headers on), and then all the connectors and ancillary stuff. There are loops for a hoist at the front and back of the motor, take the weight off and yank it out. No need for a dolly or anything?

I actually pulled my motor without taking the front clip off. Just unbolted at the bellhousing and pulled it through the top. Was fairly straight forward.

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post
          Terrible, Topaz Blue is one of the rarest and sexiest colors. šŸ˜Ÿ
          +1, although if it's not taken care of, it can look super hazy and boring

But yeah with the front clip off, you can basically just slide the motor forward and it'll come out (assuming you've undone everything that's holding it in).
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Topaz and Mystic are both beautiful and rare. If you want a cool blue that is BMW specific then try San Marino Blue off the F80 CS. IMO it would be look awesome and similar to Interlagos and very unique
            2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
            2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
            2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
              To each their own.
              I'm not knocking you at all btw, I've color changed a car before.
              Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Quickjacks are one of the best purchases I ever made and absolutely make it easier to get the engine out. They are worth it for the safety alone... You don't really use them lift the chassis off the engine; its just easier to pull the engine/trans out of front as quickjacks get the car much higher then jack stands and its easy to lower the engine attached to a hoist. Also easier going back in as you can adjust the chassis up and down to get the subframes to line up.

Taking the front clip off is trivial. Once the radiator and a/c are out of the way its like 8 bolts and the whole thing comes off with the headlights. I put the bare front clip back on for the body shop so the hood would latch and they could align hood and fenders.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
                  Once you have the front clip off removing the motor is very easy. Engine mounts undone, prop unbolted, shift linkage disconnected, exhaust off (can probably even leave the headers on), and then all the connectors and ancillary stuff. There are loops for a hoist at the front and back of the motor, take the weight off and yank it out. No need for a dolly or anything?
                  OK I was waaay over complicating this in my head. I was trying to figure out what tools to start assembling that I don't already own. I'll rent a cherry picker and have at it. This sounds pretty straightforward, actually.

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
                  I actually pulled my motor without taking the front clip off. Just unbolted at the bellhousing and pulled it through the top. Was fairly straight forward.
                  Interesting. Given that I'll be replacing some of the bits and pieces in the nose (new euro bumper cover), I'm likely going to just remove the nose, but may consider this. In posts that I've read, it seems like the people who tried it this way struggled a bit. I'll see what I'm dealing with once I tear into this.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
                    Topaz and Mystic are both beautiful and rare. If you want a cool blue that is BMW specific then try San Marino Blue off the F80 CS. IMO it would be look awesome and similar to Interlagos and very unique
                    Iā€™m also a topaz guy, I was originally considering changing to velvet blue (30 years of ///M heritage color) but San Marino is pretty damn sexy... Thanks for throwing that wrench into my decision making šŸ˜‚
                    ā€˜02 LSB M3 (11k original miles)
                    ā€™03 Oxford Green M3 (Turboā€™d)

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

+1, although if it's not taken care of, it can look super hazy and boring
                      Sometimes the color looks amazing to me. More often it's just "meh". This is 100% a personal preference and I want to LOVE the color of my car. When I bought it (used in 2012), I really wanted an LSB car, but at the time, couldn't justify the $4-6k premium people seemed to be asking for on them. Funny how if I move forward with this, I'm going to significantly pay for my impatience of not waiting to find an LSB car...

But as I said earlier, life's short and I'm not sitting on a car that belongs in a museum. To hell with logic! I knew when I posted this I'd likely get some polarizing replies. šŸ™‚

The paint on my car is in OK shape, but could use a respray. I have the full maintenance and ownership history (I'm 3rd owner). First owner was women who only drove the car about 23k miles in 7 years of ownership - she needed a hip replacement and couldn't use the clutch anymore, but man, props to her for buying this car. However, she hit a traffic cone that marred/slightly gouged the front bumper. The 2nd owner put one of those full length carbon "spitters" (more of a lip) on the car, which did a number to the bumper cover underneath. Also, it has door dings, some bad touch-up work in spots, etc. Not sure if that stuff is from the 1st or 2nd owner. But all that to say... the car needs some love that's more than just a good buff. I bought it that way and knew I'd eventually address it.

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

I'm not knocking you at all btw, I've color changed a car before.
                      It's all good! I didn't take it as a knock and knew some people would be opposed to this idea. Especially those people with Topaz cars. Ha!

Did you do this on an E46? If so, what colors did you go from/to?

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
                      Funny enough... someone just emailed me these pics of a San Marino Blue e46 yesterday. Gorgeous.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210925-135132.jpg
Views:	2510
Size:	493.3 KB
ID:	128745

Name:	Screenshot_20210925-135244.jpg
Views:	1418
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	128744
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post
                        Quickjacks are one of the best purchases I ever made and absolutely make it easier to get the engine out. They are worth it for the safety alone... You don't really use them lift the chassis off the engine; its just easier to pull the engine/trans out of front as quickjacks get the car much higher then jack stands and its easy to lower the engine attached to a hoist. Also easier going back in as you can adjust the chassis up and down to get the subframes to line up.

OK, I'm sold on Quickjacks. My family bought them for my father earlier this year as a gift. He's in his late 70's and still crawling under cars. Love it. The only downside I can see to them is they block access from the sides. But for this project, I don't need that access and from a safety perspective, these just make sense to me. I can't fit a lift in my garage or I'd own one.

Originally posted by robgill View Post
                        Taking the front clip off is trivial. Once the radiator and a/c are out of the way its like 8 bolts and the whole thing comes off with the headlights. I put the bare front clip back on for the body shop so the hood would latch and they could align hood and fenders.
                        Got it. Looking through your workspace/garage, you seem to have similar physical constraints to me. I'm sold on doing it this way.

Lastly - I greatly appreciate all the help, comments, flames, thoughts, suggestions, etc. from everyone. I love this forum. My work and life-in-general keeps me from contributing as often as I'd like, but this is such an incredible mix of people. Sincerely appreciate the wealth of knowledge this site has. Hoping with this build, I can give back a bit like others have, documenting this journey and sharing it for others to benefit from - even if that's what not to do... like doing a color change on a rare color.

-Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Hallerhan View Post

Iā€™m also a topaz guy, I was originally considering changing to velvet blue (30 years of ///M heritage color) but San Marino is pretty damn sexy... Thanks for throwing that wrench into my decision making šŸ˜‚
                          Yeah man!! I missed this post while typing up one of my last posts. Check out the San Marino car I posted above... b-e-a-utiful.

Comment

You can also consider Santorini blue from the limited edition E92 M3. Such a nice color!

2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
                            2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                            2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post
                              You can also consider Santorini blue from the limited edition E92 M3. Such a nice color!
                              Holy crap. That might be it.

Name:	santorini-blue-bmw-e92-m3-will-make-you-gasp-photo-gallery_8.jpg
Views:	1246
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	128756

Comment

Working...
                              X