Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed: Doing a color change the right way - Topaz Blue to... ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint it McLaren Lantana Purple or the neon yellow color Mercedes Painted some of their G500 4×4²

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

Paying 10k plus on a respray for something that already exists is a waste though.

agree with this, assuming you do your research and don't end up in a car that's worse than what you already have

Comment

Appreciate all the replies. I didn't think this would get much visibility/interest so I genuinely appreciate it! I started this post thinking I'd ask technical questions (like - what's the best way to remove the motor, has anyone ever removed the master cylnder/brake booster assembly, best source for NLA factory decals, etc.) and put it all in one post as the car and project evolved so anyone could follow the progression should they choose to. I didn't expect all the suggestions and comments about the color change - this is awesome because it some serious food for thought!! So thank you.

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
        I like smb but personally I’d keep it period correct and go with classic colors like avus or lemans.
        LeMans Blue... gorgeous.

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
        Man Topaz is pretty nice and it's almost a shame to change it. But hey you do you. If I were going to color change either of my M3s, I would do Atlantis Blue or a custom mix sort of similar to that, because it's super outlandish and I like a little flamboyancy. ]
        That color is certainly bright (whatever color that vert is). That's a different kind of pop than I'm aiming for, but I like it for what it is.

I'm drawn to the non-metallic colors for some reason. My buddy picked up a Hellrot E36 with perfect paint. It's like red plugged into a light socket. It's sick.

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
        Yeah I totally get that feeling. Until pretty recently, I always thought my car looked very meh unless it was in direct sun. My paint was not in the greatest shape and my opinion of the color changed drastically after a paint correction. Look at the difference in the color between these two pics:

I used to hate how hazy topaz looked in certain lights, but turns out that was just due to the paint being shitty lol.

Not knocking you for wanting to do a color change btw, just adding to the conversation
        Heinz - this is amazing and NOW I see what you were talking about before. Thanks for posting these photos. The lighting is for all-intents-and-purposes identical in these photos so there is no lighting impacts here to speak of. That is a remarkable change. My car is somewhere in the middle of these two shots, probably leaning more towards the pre-paint correction shot. Certain panels are better than others on the car, per my earlier comments.

Funny thing is like I said in one of my earlier posts - I don't dislike Topaz, I've just never LOVED it. When I bought the car, I convinced myself a good chassis with no accidents and so forth was more important than the color. That's probably true up to a certain extent. I wish I had waited for the right chassis in the right color [for me]. Doing a color change makes zero financial sense, but F it. Life's short and getting shorter by the day... might as well drink the good beer.

But man... I have come back to your side-by-side comparison probably 20 times since you've posted it, asking myself if I'm nuts for even considering this. That answer is yes, and I think I'm good with that.

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
        There's also the small little detail that a quality paint job, incl door jambs/engine bay is like $20k. Unless you're going to maaco or you like rushed colorsanding, fisheyes & runs.
        Originally posted by oceansize View Post
        This ain't wrong. However, if OP does all the R&R of trim, seals, and mechanical bits then it can be done for way less and this does sound like the path OP is on.

I was on the same path as OP at one time but once I did an Imola swap (with brand new nappa) I lost interest. Car looks great as is.
        Yeah, exactly. Quality paint ain't cheap, but I would do the R&R of everything much like Rob did on his car. Also, I haven't priced this yet locally but have priced out a FFR Daytona Coupe and for a show finish, it's probably $9-12k for that car. I expect something in that neighborhood for the M3 or less if I do all the R&R. Crazy as this might sound, but it might be worth it to me (to me and only to me) at this point in my life.

Besides, this would be one fun as hell project.

Originally posted by tnord View Post
        I would not change the color. I won't try to talk you out of a quality respray, as new paint and a good quality finishing will probably bring out the pop in the paint you're looking for. Don't certain coatings provide more a "bright" tech-y type of finish also? That's why I use plain old P21S carnuba on my jet black as I like the "softer" looking finish.
        What I'm after is more than what P21S or any other coating can give me. I'm looking for full send. But I agree with your point about carnuba vs. graphene vs. whatever-coating (which is the point I think you were trying to make).

Originally posted by usdmej View Post
        OP it seems like the best two choices are to
        - sell your car and find an equivalent one in either LSB or Interlagos blue
        - pick a unique blue, find/pick a painter and do as much of the labor as you can to save costs/ensure the job is done right

tbh either choice will be significant time spent doing your due diligence
        A good way to sum it up. I'm leaning towards door #2. That Santorini Blue, I can't stop looking at it. Not sure how I missed that E92 color...

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

Paying 10k plus on a respray for something that already exists is a waste though.

If you want an LSB car, just go and buy one. It won't drive any better or different, it's just smurf blue.
        I see your point, but don't think of it as a waste. The waste is getting rid of a Topaz Blue car (which other TB owners should love, their car will be even rarer). That said... Santorini Blue is really speaking to me.

Originally posted by usdmej View Post
        agree with this, assuming you do your research and don't end up in a car that's worse than what you already have
        Yep. And my car is sorted. All the big things are done and I have the maintenance history since day 1. When I look at the sunk cost in this car, duplicating it in LSB (or whatever color) gets a little harder. If there was ever a chassis that was a good foundation for this, it's this car.
        Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 10-06-2021, 10:15 AM.
        Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

You're going in with your eyes open, and you want what you want, so fair play. But how certain can you be that you'll be happy months and $12k later? If you had a TiAg and hated it, I could understand, but Topaz is already pretty (and blue), so it's not a massive change.

I agree that you should keep your car vs trying to sell and get an LSB. Stick with a known to be great example.

Could you be happy with the car, visually, if you got a CSL boot, CSL roof & e88s?

I think you should correct your car's paint and look at it in the sun, before going for a respray.
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I have a 2006 E90 330 in graphite metallic or something that looks kinda dull when it's not cleaned up, but every fall when I polish and wax it, it starts to pop. From almost black at night to a lavender/purple in direct sun.

I just can't believe that even a half ass paint correction wouldn't make a big difference, on what should be a great color.

Comment

Hey I just realized I dissected your reply. Don't take this the wrong way. I'm genuinely appreciative of the thought you put into this. It's actually helping to reinforce my feelings on the manner.

You're going in with your eyes open, and you want what you want, so fair play. But how certain can you be that you'll be happy months and $12k later?
              Yeah good point, it might not hit the mark after I do it. For sure I agree with that. You could also say this of anything you spend money on. Or really when you boil it down... any action you take. How are you going to know until you do it? Gather the data, make a decision. Everything in life is some measure of a gamble. I've done the math on this one, and like how it adds up.

If you had a TiAg and hated it, I could understand, but Topaz is already pretty (and blue), so it's not a massive change.
              True, LSB or Santorini Blue are still blue. However, no one will ever mistake my Topaz Blue for one of those blues. They are pretty significant leaps IMHO. It's kind of like calling Royal Burgundy Red Metallic and Hellrot Red the same color. Are they both red? Yes.

I agree that you should keep your car vs trying to sell and get an LSB. Stick with a known to be great example.
              Yeah, with the VANOS work, subframe reinforcement, BBK, undercarriage restoration, Supersprint + Fabspeed exhaust, wheels, etc. etc. it just adds up quick. And structurally, the car is perfect. Zero rust, no accidents, everything I've said before. We're totally on the same page here.

Could you be happy with the car, visually, if you got a CSL boot, CSL roof & e88s?
              Great question and I've asked myself that. Here's how I know I really want to paint this car. When I ask myself that question, my answer is "I'll be wasting money painting the trunk/nose/diffuser Topaz Blue because I'm eventually doing to do a color change."

I think you should correct your car's paint and look at it in the sun, before going for a respray.
              I took a photo of the car with my phone this evening. The paint is in better shape then I stated before I think. I'll post it next from my phone.

Comment

Here's the current state of what we're talking about. Not the best pic, but this is after a wash.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210927_181319.jpg
Views:	1127
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	129009

Comment

How much of that is factory original paint?

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                    How much of that is factory original paint?
                    All of it is original.

Comment

PS Slideways the sticker you sent got here, thanks so much!

Comment

I think the wheel finish is hurting the look of the car too. Topaz looks great there. But you want what you want and I get it so go for it.
                        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

All of it is original.
                          Yeah, as much as I dislike wraps, that might be a better option in this case if the exterior color change is a must. It is very difficult to match the quality and durability of factory paint. Almost every respray I have seen has imperfections and the modern paint scratches way easier than the stuff they used in the early 2000s.

What about fully detailing it and having a second set of wheels to change up the look every now and then? Just my 2c and it is not as expensive or time consuming

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

All of it is original.
                            Honestly it looks great.

I wouldn't respray that car.

I'd respray something wack like Tiag.

#runsandhideslol
                            2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                            2005 BMW ///M3
                            Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                            2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                            2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                            2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

*cries in TiAg
                              2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

Tiag is a great color. It was simply made in abundance unlike some of the others. My favorites are three re-sprays. The Grigio, Nardo, and Rob Gills. All members of this forum. Most Everyone else has something relatively plentiful (and for that matter, ordinary).
                                Last edited by oceansize; 09-28-2021, 03:53 AM.
                                3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Working...
                                X