Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions on aftermarket catted section 1 or weld on cats ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions on aftermarket catted section 1 or weld on cats ?

So I have aftermarket headers, and euro catted section becoming hard to find. I don't really want to spend 2k+ on supersprints, but I'm tired of the smell lol. Thought about just welding 200 cel cats on my section 1, any suggestion on what brand or where to buy one? I saw some company in Germany selling catted section 1 for around 600, not sure if it's any good?

I did a review of it in my steelgrey journal. Another member I know then bought a set and was happy as well.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
      I did a review of it in my steelgrey journal. Another member I know then bought a set and was happy as well.
      Yep, works great!

Comment

I used welded in 200 cell magnaflows in my section one. It definitely cut down the smell- but from prior feedback I’ve received here and other reading around, I understand the money saved also leaves performance and odorlessness on the table. I’ve since ordered fabspeed sec1 with HJS cats, and after 8 weeks lead time they’ve finally shipped this week. Still, on a budget ($600 ($500 for cats, $100 for labor)) it definitely helped.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
          are these the same ones?

The item listed is a beautifully made pair of 200 Cell Sports Cats with a Euro style brushed finish. These 200 Cell Sports Cats replace the standard 400 Cell OEM cats, adding power and sound to the BMW M3 at a fraction of the price of BMW original catalytic converters. Pre-fitted with sensor bung locations, you can use your original sensors with these direct fit catalytic converters for a fuss-free fitment. The cats are designed for you to place the original sensors or replacement sensors into easily. They are mandrel bent and TIG welded for the best possible quality of 304 grade stainless steel. The cats are 200 Cell, they will still pass MOT and most emissions tests. Direct fit replacement, compatible with either OE (original equipment), Topgear centre section or any other centre section that fits OE cats. Video Links- https://www.

there's another seller from Germany selling catted section 1, but I can't find it anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Doost View Post
            I used welded in 200 cell magnaflows in my section one. It definitely cut down the smell- but from prior feedback I’ve received here and other reading around, I understand the money saved also leaves performance and odorlessness on the table. I’ve since ordered fabspeed sec1 with HJS cats, and after 8 weeks lead time they’ve finally shipped this week. Still, on a budget ($600 ($500 for cats, $100 for labor)) it definitely helped.
            Which magnaflows cat did you use? what size works with our section 1?

the fabspeed sec1 w/ HJS looks really nice, but it's 2200

Comment

Originally posted by avusblue View Post

Which magnaflows cat did you use? what size works with our section 1?

the fabspeed sec1 w/ HJS looks really nice, but it's 2200
              I have the HJS catted fabspeed and it's a quality piece for sure but not sure I'd pay that much for it. I lucked in to a deal on the old forum a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

avusblue https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-59956

These are the cats on my car currently.

Edit: Looks like I over estimated a little at $500 for the cats, was going from memory. I sent you a PM regarding my existing set up, if you’re interested in buying it once I install the new section one.
                Last edited by Doost; 10-08-2021, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Just weld in

Comment

avusblue https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-59956

These are the cats on my car currently.

Edit: Looks like I over estimated a little at $500 for the cats, was going from memory. I sent you a PM regarding my existing set up, if you’re interested in buying it once I install the new section one.
                    Did you weld in bungs for the secondary 02s or just code them out?
                    Garage:
                    2002 BMW M3: Slicktop jetblack/cinnamon. SMG to 6-speed. Arc-8's. Koni yellows/Dinan springs. Macht elbow. Megan headers. Stock section 1+AR20. SCZA section 3.
                    1998 Mercedes E300 Turbodiesel: Pizza bag warmer.

Comment

It's been a couple of months since this post, any noticeable difference between your Fabspeed/HJS setup vs. your old section 1 with Magnaflows? I've been running an OEM section 1 w/weld-in Magnaflow 200 cells, but I'm looking for an excuse to switch to a SS v1 header and catted section 1 setup sometime.

Comment

FWIW, the HJS cats (Supersrint v1 pipes) kill all the smell, reduced drone/rasp, and don't rob any power to my butt dyno. The cheaper cats I've had (magnaflow 200 and the one I mentioned at the beginning of this thread) don't hold a candle to HJS.
                        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Jickel180 View Post

It's been a couple of months since this post, any noticeable difference between your Fabspeed/HJS setup vs. your old section 1 with Magnaflows? I've been running an OEM section 1 w/weld-in Magnaflow 200 cells, but I'm looking for an excuse to switch to a SS v1 header and catted section 1 setup sometime.
                          There is an appreciable difference in smell, probably for two reasons; the higher quality cats but also: when I pulled the welded section one down to swap with the fabspeed section, I noticed the tech who welded them in place did not do a good job, leaving a 2” un welded gaps at the top of each joint. They were cut in and welded with the OEM section one in place, which I think is pretty standard.

Anyway- sound, performance and smell are all great with the fab speed HJS and would def buy again!

Comment

bring this old thread back up. reached out to a few members regarding their experience with fabspeed. results have been 50/50. i'm actually considering just buying the cats and getting them welded into my euro section 1 (clogged cats). from doing some research i dug up an M5 board post from HJS USA and they reference part no. 90 95 0092. specifically, they state: "Our model 9095 0092 HJS Hi-Flow Universal Catalyst can handle an engine up to 2.6 Liters and 240 HP, while two can handle an engine up to 5.2 Liters and 480HP. "

has anyone looked at what specific HJS cat would be a good replacement for our cars? for those with the fabspeed, care to share what it says the part no is on the HJS cat? shipped from germany i'm looking at about $1050 plus welding. yes, some can say it's not worth it, but considering 1)fabspeed would take a few months and 2) savings is savings.

appreciate any feedback.
                            '06 Carbon Black
                            Sabelt, Brey Krause, MCS 2-way, SuperSprint, Karbonius, Epic, Volk

Comment

update on this thread. i bit the bullet and ordered the HJS 200 Cell Cats. they arrived today. dropping them along with both my euro section 1 and my US section 1 so the guy can decide which is the easier/better unit to cut/weld.
                              while this isn't the same as a supersprint catted section 1, it hopefully has a better fitment than some stories i've heard regarding the fabspeed unit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220526_164549.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	169570

Name:	20220526_164754.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	169571

Name:	20220526_164802.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	169572

Attached Files
                              '06 Carbon Black
                              Sabelt, Brey Krause, MCS 2-way, SuperSprint, Karbonius, Epic, Volk

Comment

Working...
                              X