Unboxing a Karbonius Carbon Fibre Vented Engine Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unboxing a Karbonius Carbon Fibre Vented Engine Cover

This cost me my left testicle (luckily I have a spare). Although Karbonius listed this as 'in stock' it took several weeks for them to manufacture (they offered me a different carbon fibre to the one I ordered - which was refused).

Luckily Fedex delivery made up in some part for the delay - was very snappy from Spain to Oz.

Quality appears impeccable. Nice recess for M badge (pity it's not included for the price)

Main fear is it's gonna show up everything else under the bonnet once installed

nice , i took this item off my cart during check out of other items..
    it's on my wish list~

please share install pictures ~~

Comment

Welcome to the players club.
      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Very nice! Karbonius make quality products!

Comment

Originally posted by ClevoCapri View Post
          Very nice! Karbonius make quality products!
          Don't speak too soon. I pulled the OEM cover off and noticed it had metal inserts/guides/eyelets/flanges (whatever they are called) pressed into the plastic that fit snugly over the protruding mounting bolts - but the Karbonius has no such thing, and the holes are way too big for the mounting bolts - looks like shit when I put it on.

I am guessing they forgot to install them. The covers on their website appear to show metal inserts. The inserts on the original cover do not appear to be removable and feel too deep to swap over to the carbon fibre in any case

Has anyone fitted one of these previously? I will be sending mine back if this is how its supposed to be.

Comment

Originally posted by poss View Post

Don't speak too soon. I pulled the OEM cover off and noticed it had metal inserts/guides/eyelets/flanges (whatever they are called) pressed into the plastic that fit snugly over the protruding mounting bolts - but the Karbonius has no such thing, and the holes are way too big for the mounting bolts - looks like shit when I put it on.

I am guessing they forgot to install them. The covers on their website appear to show metal inserts. The inserts on the original cover do not appear to be removable and feel too deep to swap over to the carbon fibre in any case

Has anyone fitted one of these previously? I will be sending mine back if this is how its supposed to be.
            They definitely left out the metal inserts. From their website:

This is a high-quality replica of the genuine piece with some openings which facilitate the hot air removal in the upper part of the engine for an optimal refrigeration, and includes all the original moorings, so installation could be done in minutes

I'm assuming the word moorings refers to those pieces and I see the picture on the site you are referencing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vented-cover2.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	131320
            3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

subscribe for updates~

Comment

Seems like they just forgot to add the metal inserts. You should reach out to them about this. Their customer service is great and I'm sure they'll make it right for you.
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

They definitely left out the metal inserts. From their website:

This is a high-quality replica of the genuine piece with some openings which facilitate the hot air removal in the upper part of the engine for an optimal refrigeration, and includes all the original moorings, so installation could be done in minutes

I'm assuming the word moorings refers to those pieces and I see the picture on the site you are referencing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vented-cover2.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	131320
                  You appear to be correct. Mine does not have the metal mounts/inserts depicted on their website. The original plastic cover uses noticeably thicker plastic on these same mounts with a metal sleeve/flange so you're not bolting down on the plastic. I guess they couldn't do that with carbon fibre (vary the thickness substantially at the mounts) so they added these metal feet instead - except for my piece.

What a PITA! I waited months for this. I have emailed them.

Comment

They'll take care of this and I doubt you'll have to wait very long.
                    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

If you're looking for the king of all carbon engine covers, you can find one straight from BMW Motorsport's racing catalog. It's made by world famous Die Wethje. No "M" on it, it just says "BMW Power" under the lacquer.

Comment

Originally posted by M Coupe View Post
                        If you're looking for the king of all carbon engine covers, you can find one straight from BMW Motorsport's racing catalog. It's made by world famous Die Wethje. No "M" on it, it just says "BMW Power" under the lacquer.
                        what's the damage on one of those? and almost 2 decades on, is it still availible?

Comment

Originally posted by M Coupe View Post
                          I looked for it out of curiosity and couldn't find it. Have a link to it by any chance? Or does BMW Motorsport still only publish that catalog via snail mail along side the Sears & Roebuck's version.
                          Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

I checked a few years back and it was around $900 shipped so it's definitely not cheap. It was fitted to one of the Z4 race cars, which one I'm not certain. Here are some pictures which I dug up. Unfortunately I can't find the part number but I'm sure with some more digging I can find it. Maybe contacting Die Wethje GmbH will yield a valid BMW Motorsport part number. This cover had a manufacture date of 2006.

Comment

If Die Wethje made it,then its worth the money.if anyone can find a part number or link then that would be great.
                              Last edited by benzthis; 11-23-2021, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X