What oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

😁

Click image for larger version  Name:	643078_x800.jpg Views:	42 Size:	36.7 KB ID:	317

I also add a can off this product from Liqui Moly. Purely from feel, the engine does feel a bit more “zingy-er”, but then again, it could be just going from oil that’s got 5k or 6k miles on it, to new lube in the crank case... 🤨 🤪
    Click image for larger version

Name:	open-uri20191216-30496-1q0g10j.?1576528859.jpg
Views:	1233
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	862
    Last edited by Speed Monkey; 03-21-2020, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Ravenol 10w60

Comment

I figured, let's get it outta the way

for a few weeks till newbs find this forum.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Liqui Moly 10w-60 via Pelican Parts

Comment

Redline 10w60. Will switch to Motul 5w40 at next OC.

Comment

I've been on Castrol 10w-60 for a while. But, I did use Liqui Moly GT1 after I replaced my rod bearings and did 2 track events with LM as well. So, I'm good with either one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Good View Post
                I put 5w30 Genuine BMW oil on my M3, makes it go faster like the f80
                So I see that you're stepping out in your choice of oil weight too Good! I don't know your reasoning for using another oil weight than 10w60 but I'll assume it's solid knowing the cost of rebuilding these machines. I've spent hours with tribologists of several oil testing companies and my takeaway each time is: 10w60 is 10w60 and 10w40 is 10w40 REGARDLESS of brand! It's somewhat hard to swallow that because I, like most, SWEAR my car 'likes' THIS brand over THAT brand etc. That's one of the reasons why I've called them several times to hopefully talk with a different person to see what THEY say and it's always the same answer. I had my motor rebuilt using the Lang Racing Development modified crankshaft wherein the width of the connecting rod journals are widened by about 20-25% to address the well-known Achilles heel of the S54. BECAUSE I now have this mod I spent a good bit of time looking into alternate oil weights. Blackstone will tell you that we S54 guys are the lionshare of their independent customers so they have a huge database on the results of the oils we run. MOST of us, whose oil they test, use 10w60, but they also have a healthy number of those owners who DON'T. I asked what other weights they see allot and they said: 0w40, 5w40 and 10w40. I asked; "do you see any difference in those weight oils versus 10w60 in how those alternate weights test out?" and they say NO. (I don't recall mention of 5w30 I did not ask.) I've been told several times when talking to Redline Oil engineers who know the S54s well, that 10W60 was 'not the original factory fill' but it was a 'bandaid' and said; IF 10w60 was the fix for thin rod bearings then why do so many engines running it still spin their rod bearings(???) Just food for thought...just wanted to share my discussion results. Peace out. Be safe all.

Comment

I think for something like that to be helpful for newcomers a poll would be nice. So people can just open a thread and see the statistics and decide. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by HassanEido View Post
                    Only use castrol edge 10w60 or shell helix racing 10w60. The rest (liqui moly bmw 10w60 etc) do no have the additives needed. Ironically liqui moly does not have moly, Castrol does. Oh crap Tyler you got me to post about oil again
                    I'm with you on this. Motul does have some high ZDDP in it though. I'd use Motul. I wouldn't trust 5w-40 in my engine but I think people do successfully. I doubt that crap holds up under heavy load though... especially in Florida.I ordered some that Castrol edge for my new engine, which I kind of cringed over but people have been running it for years so 🙃

Liquimoly is just trash oil. My engine DID spin a bearing while using it. Ceratec probably doesn't work very well either. It's kinda stupid to design oil around additves but hey, people like adding additives for piece of mind when they can just buy good oil.

Oh and BMW oil = Penzoil
                    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I have used OE BMW 10w60 for the last 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by rbg View Post
                        I think for something like that to be helpful for newcomers a poll would be nice. So people can just open a thread and see the statistics and decide. What do you think?
                        I think I was just fuxkin around
                        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

I'm with you on this. Motul does have some high ZDDP in it though. I'd use Motul. I wouldn't trust 5w-40 in my engine but I think people do successfully. I doubt that crap holds up under heavy load though... especially in Florida.I ordered some that Castrol edge for my new engine, which I kind of cringed over but people have been running it for years so 🙃

Liquimoly is just trash oil. My engine DID spin a bearing while using it. Ceratec probably doesn't work very well either. It's kinda stupid to design oil around additves but hey, people like adding additives for piece of mind when they can just buy good oil.

Oh and BMW oil = Penzoil
                          I used to be adamant about sticking with Castrol 10w-60, but was seeing high lead and molybdenum. After I switched to LiquiMoly, my Blackstone analysis immediately improved to within perfect levels across the board. My M3 is used mostly for track and is just one data point, but I've been extremely surprised and impressed with my switch to LiquiMoly. 102k original bearings.

Comment

Lead and molybendum are both lubricants.... why would you want less? What defines better?

Comment

Currently using Ravenol 10W-60, so far its been great. Oil temps at the track are very reasonable!

Comment

Density at 20°C kg/m³ 859,0 EN ISO 12185
                                Colour braun visual
                                Viscosity at 100°C mm²/s 23,4 DIN 51 562
                                Viscosity at 40°C mm²/s 154,6 DIN 51 562
                                Viscosity index VI 180 DIN ISO 2909
                                HTHS at 150°C mPа*s 5,8 ASTM D5481
                                CCS Viscosity at -25°C mPa*s 5900 ASTM D5293
                                Low Temp. Pumping viscosity (MRV) at -30°C mPa*s 20.000 ASTM D 4684
                                Pourpoint °C - 54 DIN ISO 3016
                                Noack Volatility % M/M 5,8 ASTM D5800/b
                                Flash point °C 250 DIN ISO 2592
                                TBN mg KOH/g 11,1 ASTM D2896
                                Sulphated ash %wt. 1,3 DIN 51 575

Comment

Working...
                                X