KW V2s & strut clearance to tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KW V2s & strut clearance to tire

I feel like this has been done before, but I can't find anything conclusive. My car has KW V2s and right now it has square ZCP/CSL rear wheels (19x9.5 et27). The front wheels have 245/35/19 tires (275/30/19 tires on the back, got the car like this). There is about a centimeter of clearance between the tire and the strut body.

I'm getting custom-made 18x9.5 et28 wheels that are showing up soon -- will I have enough room with the extra-long KW spring to run 265/35/18? Will it rub on the spring?
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

This website is super useful for these types of questions: https://www.willtheyfit.com/

For you specific case: https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...9-5&offset2=28
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

18X9.5 ET22 with a 265 will fit no problem, but your new wheels will be 6mm closer to the spring perch. It'll be very close and under heavy compression, it could touch the coils above the perch. When you mount the wheel, you'll have a better idea. Which 265 tire?

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
        This website is super useful for these types of questions: https://www.willtheyfit.com/

For you specific case: https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...9-5&offset2=28
        I figured the wheel would be 1 mm closer, but the edge of the tire and the strut is what concerns me.

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
        18X9.5 ET22 with a 265 will fit no problem, but your new wheels will be 6mm closer to the spring perch. It'll be very close and under heavy compression, it could touch the coils above the perch. When you mount the wheel, you'll have a better idea. Which 265 tire?
        Probably Pilot Sport 4S.

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
          I figured the wheel would be 1 mm closer, but the edge of the tire and the strut is what concerns me.
          Ah damn, should have read more carefully. Didn't realize you were talking about tire clearance. Saw "wheels" a bunch and my mind immediately went to wheel clearance.

New tire should be 11mm (10mm from tire width, 1 from offset) closer to the strut, so yeah it'll be close. Sorry I can't be of more help than that.

18X9.5 ET22 with a 265 will fit no problem, but your new wheels will be 6mm closer to the spring perch.
          6mm? Wouldn't the wheels be 1mm closer?
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
            Ah damn, should have read more carefully. Didn't realize you were talking about tire clearance. Saw "wheels" a bunch and my mind immediately went to wheel clearance.

New tire should be 11mm (10mm from tire width, 1 from offset) closer to the strut, so yeah it'll be close. Sorry I can't be of more help than that.

6mm? Wouldn't the wheels be 1mm closer?
            That is with Arc-8s 9.5 ET22 265 tire tested with V3s, hence the 6mm. There was just about an index finger clearance with those.

Comment

That is with Arc-8s 9.5 ET22 265 tire tested with V3s, hence the 6mm. There was just about an index finger clearance with those.
              Jesus christ I need to read things more carefully. You're talking about the difference between ET22 and ET28. Disregard my previous comment

Comment

Based on Tire Rack's specs, it will be mighty close. I hate how long the KW spring is, makes no sense.

Comment

Hey here you go, I am on kw v2’s with bbs ch 19x9.5 et 40 with 7.5mm spacer essentially making the offset 32.5. I am running a 265/30/19 Michelin PS4 up front. I would say your ok with et28
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by bmw m3 s50; 10-22-2021, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bmw m3 s50 View Post
                    Hey here you go, I am on kw v2’s with bbs ch 19x9.5 et 40 with 7.5mm spacer essentially making the offset 32.5. I am running a 265/30/19 Michelin PS4 up front. I would say your ok with et28
                    That looks like a different and more narrow spring perch than the usual KW perch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	133230

Comment

That looks like a different and more narrow spring perch than the usual KW perch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	133230
                      Maybe a revised perch, the one in your pic is only a 1-2mm wider.

Comment

Originally posted by bmw m3 s50 View Post
                        Awesome, thanks!

Comment

I had kw v2s before. 18x9.5 +28 with a 265 will fit as long as you're not too low and the tire doesn't run too wide.+35 offset will not fit unless you have a spacer.

Comment

Working...
                          X