S54 Vanos Info Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 Vanos Info Thread

NEW THREAD, PLEASE GO HERE: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-info-thread
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
    Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
    Evolve Eventuri
    - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

I'll try to repair all the m3f links in the above thread...bare with me!
    E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Would you know how to recover my old thread 'Vanos pressure test shocker'? Was around 2016 I think. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by 911Fiddler View Post
        Would you know how to recover my old thread 'Vanos pressure test shocker'? Was around 2016 I think. Cheers.
        Check my thread, see if this works for you: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...k-from-m3forum
        Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Here is the official removal/install for those that need or want to reference the OEM procedure as well.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 911Fiddler View Post
            I'll look. I have a bunch of the original threads, 200-300k or so, I'm trying to figure out the best way to import everything.

Comment

Wow thanks for posting this! 😀
              Evolve Eventuri

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

I'll look. I have a bunch of the original threads, 200-300k or so, I'm trying to figure out the best way to import everything.
                That is awesome news!
                Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Thank you everyone for taking the time to provide thorough explanations and direction on the S54 Vanos project. I am a new owner, I purchased with the idea in mind of DIY, it was a big reason I purchased. But man, I vacillate back n forth with these big engine DIY. One week I am hitting send on my Beisan order, and then I stop I get a freaked out by the timing stuff, and I think this post is the first one that has really made the pre-loading concept possible the most important factor in this job. NOthing really to contribute, other than I really want to do it, but than I think for a few hundred more maybe I should have a professional do it . Thanks again everyone for great info! Oh, and my first post here.

Comment

Welcome. There is actually two of these Vanos threads, I was working on rebuilding it since the old M3Forum went down and didn’t realize Liam had this one as well. It has more info and videos take a look.
                    http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170709/b427cc1ecdc0899673ce51539b3394e1.jpg http://web.archive.org/web/20180214064458im_/http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170709/a40017b090c94ffa891574d94069c3c0.jpg Disclaimer: ( Most of the M3Forum links below do not work anymore ) Please read and completely understand the timing
                    Evolve Eventuri

Comment

Thank you WOLFN8TR ! I am following both now Working hard on getting myself ready for this job ( but at times I think I should just take in down to Kaiv ) Everything up to: timing, pre-loading, sweet spot is straight ahead. And yours and Liams posts are the first time I read taking the Vanos Unit back off to properly torque the hub bolts down . . .crazy timing, I had just asked a mechanic friend how I would torque those correctly with the vanos in the way - sometimes the easy answer / correct way is staring you in the face but you cannot see it - as soon as I read in here to just pop the vanos unit back off . . . it was a DUH moment. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
                        Welcome. There is actually two of these Vanos threads, I was working on rebuilding it since the old M3Forum went down and didn’t realize Liam had this one as well. It has more info and videos take a look.
                        Yeah, this was one of the first posts that I imported. I just hacked the database and change the owner of the post from me to you, so I think you should be able to have full control over it now. Thanks again for writing it up. Or perhaps we should just edit this one and just have a link to the other one - or vise versa. Whatever you think is best.

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post
                          Yeah, this was one of the first posts that I imported. I just hacked the database and change the owner of the post from me to you, so I think you should be able to have full control over it now. Thanks again for writing it up. Or perhaps we should just edit this one and just have a link to the other one - or vise versa. Whatever you think is best.
                          We can just delete this thread, I originally copied and pasted it to start the other so I could edit it. The other vanos thread has more info and fixed links. I really appreciate you getting this resurrected.

This is the updated S54 Vanos Thread
                          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-info-thread

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 05-08-2020, 01:17 PM.
                          Evolve Eventuri

Comment

Working...
                          X