Removing Poly Subframe Bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Poly Subframe Bushings

I had polyurethane bushings installed when I had my subframe reinforced but I'm getting ready to drop the rear end and install solid CMP bushings.

What kind of surprises am I going to run into removing these poly bushings (only been in for around 6k miles)? Any best practices, tools, or recommendations for the process?

Edit: I'm fine dropping the rear end, just haven't dealt with poly and wondering if these will be harder or easier to remove than OE.
    Last edited by oceansize; 04-18-2020, 06:42 AM.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

They should be easier to remove than OE bushings. When I did my reinforcing (fall of 2018), I removed mine to inspect them. If I remember right, you should just be able to remove the center sleeve. Then with a blunt punch and a mallet/hammer tap one half out by tapping it out on the inner half edge. Should come right out.

Comment

They are 2 piece with a center sleeve. 2 piece meaning half of it enters the subframe from top and the other half from the bottom and they meet in the middle. VS OE rubber, which is 1 piece and the entire thing has to be pressed in from one end or the other. When I did AKG, I could press them in hand tight, didn't need a bushing tool/press.
      Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruley View Post
        They should be easier to remove than OE bushings. When I did my reinforcing (fall of 2018), I removed mine to inspect them. If I remember right, you should just be able to remove the center sleeve. Then with a blunt punch and a mallet/hammer tap one half out by tapping it out on the inner half edge. Should come right out.
        Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
        They are 2 piece with a center sleeve. 2 piece meaning half of it enters the subframe from top and the other half from the bottom and they meet in the middle. VS OE rubber, which is 1 piece and the entire thing has to be pressed in from one end or the other. When I did AKG, I could press them in hand tight, didn't need a bushing tool/press.
        Thanks guys. I got all the fiddly bits out of the way meaning the exhaust, heat shielding, driveshaft disconnected at differential, plastic bits, parking brake, etc. Wrap up dropping the rear end tomorrow and then wait on parts to arrive.

You all disconnect the brake lines from the calipers or simply remove the calipers without disconnecting and hang?
        Last edited by oceansize; 04-18-2020, 01:55 PM.
        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

I disconnected because I was rebuilding them, but you prob wont have much to hang them on, if entire subframe and control arms are coming down.
          Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

^Good point gizmo... LoL. Not a lot left. If I can rig something I'll let them hang otherwise I'll disconnect.

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
              ^Good point gizmo... LoL. Not a lot left. If I can rig something I'll let them hang otherwise I'll disconnect.
              I can't remember where I hanged mine from, but I didn't disconnect them when I did my plates.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

You could remove the rear shocks and hang them from the holes.
                Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

Working...
                X