CSL's in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Looks like an MK60 to me. MK20 has all six lines going to the top of the module, while MK60 has four going to the top and two going to the side.

It also has the MK60 brake fluid reservoir (and presumably the MK60 master and booster too).

The module is oriented in the same way as it is in rhd cars, BUT the master, booster and reservoir are like they are on lhd cars. That car was either originally rhd or had it's module moved over to the drug bin using the rhd bracket (no idea why you would do this though). Those brake lines with the soft bends are further evidence that it's been messed with.
    The lines threw me for a loop, but what I don't get is like you said, the mounting on the right side.

I know the car imports to the east coast so I'm not so sure they do the Cali smog way, considering they also imported an E61 M5 Touring.

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

good eye! I noticed the odd looking softlines and thought to myself, that doesnt look right lol. i didnt think someone would go through the trouble of swapping the MK60 over to the passenger side as that is still wiring extension at a minimum or like you said originally a RHD car and left MK60 on the left side and swapped everything over to LHD.

if you go through the pics of the engine bay it doesn't look tidy... things like the wiring cover that goes across top of engine is missing and wires are ziptied..... i wouldn't think a CSL owner would do that, would love if i could get a clear zoom of the VIN on the shock tower to verify CSL VIN. ***Edit i guess that wiring thats ziptied is the wiring for the relocated MK60 module it seems. so weird. why would someone relocate MK60 module on a CSL
      Yeah I have no clue why someone would do that.

Agreed on the car not looking tidy. Ziptied wires in the engine bay, some weird heat shield (looks like aluminum foil lol) on the airbox flap actuator, missing windshield wiper trim, poorly repaired VANOS connector conduit, etc.

This car has definitely been messed with. I don't think I'd trust it without a lot more info about it's past.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Slicktop View Post
        I know the car imports to the east coast so I'm not so sure they do the Cali smog way, considering they also imported an E61 M5 Touring.
        Oh yeah an E61 would be waaay harder to sneak by the inspection people. Hmm, I wonder how they do it then.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Maybe they did what everyone in California does to pass smog?
          • Swap in all the legal parts (stock airbox, US headers and cats, US tune, stock door cars, etc.)
          • Drive to the inspection station
          • Pass whatever tests/checks are required
          • Drive back home and immediately put all the illegal bits back on
          Probably true....and they "have a guy" who can help them pass smog moving forward. But the last bullet still makes me wonder. All of the parts that were taken off for federalization have to be "destroyed." I know parts are getting harder to source with many being NLA, but I suppose that didn't keep them from hoarding parts awhile prior to the importation of a car. OR, there's another loophole where they can keep the original parts. Who friggin' knows anymore.
          1995 BMW M3 LTW - Alpine White / Anthracite Cloth
          2000 BMW M5 - Imola Red / Imola Red & Black
          2005 BMW M3 - Alpine White / Anthracite Impulse Cloth (Manual) - ZCP - 6MT - Slicktop
          2006 BMW M3 - Alpine White / Black - ZCP - 6MT - Canadian Import
          2011 BMW M3 - Individual Fire Orange / Black - ZCP - 6MT - Slicktop - Dinan Upgrades
          2011 BMW 1M - Alpine White / Black - Canadian Import

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

The stock harness case is still there under the zip ties. My guess is this is a RHD to LHD conversion as it has CSL wiring harness and the stickers on the shock tower.
            I've actually been hearing a LOT about the RHD to LHD conversions. Pretty wild stuff. I remember when RHD examples seemed to be nearly half the price of the LHD counterpart. Now, there seems to be an even playing field with them.
            2005 BMW M3 - Alpine White / Anthracite Impulse Cloth (Manual) - ZCP - 6MT - Slicktop
            2011 BMW M3 - Individual Fire Orange / Black - ZCP - 6MT - Slicktop - Dinan Upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by Duck360198 View Post

Probably true....and they "have a guy" who can help them pass smog moving forward. But the last bullet still makes me wonder. All of the parts that were taken off for federalization have to be "destroyed." I know parts are getting harder to source with many being NLA, but I suppose that didn't keep them from hoarding parts awhile prior to the importation of a car. OR, there's another loophole where they can keep the original parts. Who friggin' knows anymore.
              Oh I wasn't aware that you had to destroy the parts. Maybe you could hide the originals somewhere and then get some cheap status gruppe replica parts and destroy those lol.

Comment

Oh I wasn't aware that you had to destroy the parts. Maybe you could hide the originals somewhere and then get some cheap status gruppe replica parts and destroy those lol.
                I know I read somewhere that the parts were required by the NHTSA to be completely destroyed. Because I was thinking the same thing as you about temporarily taking them off and getting them back and reinstalling later, but that’s just such an obvious thing people would do. So the destruction makes perfect sense. Of course now that I want to find specifically where that was stated I can’t find it. I can’t remember if it came from NHTSA or if I read it from a Registered Importer.

Comment

Oh yeah an E61 would be waaay harder to sneak by the inspection people. Hmm, I wonder how they do it then.

Yeah and somehow it is here, with another on the way. There has to be something new someone discovered with M cars because these cars in the traditional sense, do not belong here.

Comment

Originally posted by Slicktop View Post

Yeah and somehow it is here, with another on the way. There has to be something new someone discovered with M cars because these cars in the traditional sense, do not belong here.
                    It really makes you wonder if they're doing something shady or not. Because how are the the only people that are really pulling this off and driving around Euro cars still younger than 25 years on the streets legally so to speak.

If you look on their Instagram it shows pictures of them driving the car here in the States on the streets among with other cars with US plates. So I wonder what they are doing. How are they getting these cars here when nobody else can?

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

It really makes you wonder if they're doing something shady or not. Because how are the the only people that are really pulling this off and driving around Euro cars still younger than 25 years on the streets legally so to speak.

If you look on their Instagram it shows pictures of them driving the car here in the States on the streets among with other cars with US plates. So I wonder what they are doing. How are they getting these cars here when nobody else can?
                      Beats me for sure. I would love to see more CSLs and E61s in the states if all this is by the book.

Also, if anyone knows how either of the CSLs floating around social media right now are federalized in the states, I'd love to know

Comment

I have a low miles CSL, bought it last year and currently storing in Vancouver, BC. Once the EPA’s 21 year rule expires im going to ask the NHTSA to let me bring it in under the Show and Display rule. If they say no, I’ll have to wait the full 25 years. Will be worth it, i think clean examples will one day reach $500k.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5G7A5143.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	160474Click image for larger version

Name:	5G7A5242.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	160476Click image for larger version

Views:	325
ID:	160477Click image for larger version

Name:	5G7A5160.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	160478
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Signaljoe; 03-24-2022, 09:18 AM.

Comment

considering how (relatively) easy it is to create a csl clone or better, its gotta be only the investing speculators that are really interested in getting these things into the states
                          and, not saying I wish bad upon anyone but, no tears will be shed when "knowing a guy" or playing dumb over some paperwork comes back to bite them

Comment

Here in Toronto there is guy with a CSL. Only seen it in a few shops being stored not sure if its actually driven. Our rules are different here though.

Comment

Originally posted by Signaljoe View Post
                              I have a low miles CSL, bought it last year and currently storing in Vancouver, BC. Once the EPA’s 21 year rule expires im going to ask the NHTSA to let me bring it in under the Show and Display rule. If they say no, I’ll have to wait the full 25 years. Will be worth it, i think clean examples will one day reach $500k.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5G7A5143.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	160474Click image for larger version

Views:	307
ID:	160476Click image for larger version

Views:	325
ID:	160477Click image for larger version

Name:	5G7A5160.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	160478
                              People have had very underage Skylines here on show and display for years, you should theoretically be able to do that already regardless of the EPA. You can do it shady with risks, or you can cough up a ton of cash, think the choice is clear.
                              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

People have had very underage Skylines here on show and display for years, you should theoretically be able to do that already regardless of the EPA. You can do it shady with risks, or you can cough up a ton of cash, think the choice is clear.
                                Def want to play it safe and not risk any legal issues as it seems the US is scrutinizing imports more than ever. As far as the EPA 21 year rule, it would require me to modify the engine, intake, exhaust etc to be "federalized", and its not really something i want to do to the car. But after 21 years the EPA doesnt have any requirements. Then its just the NHTSA's 25 year rule, which If they allow me, I can import sooner than 25 years under "Show and Display" designation. I have 949 days left until the EPA 21 year requirement expires but who's counting lol!

Comment

Working...
                                X