Keep car or is it time to move on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep car or is it time to move on?

I've been contemplating keeping or selling my '02 M3. It's a 6spd coupe, topaz blue, I am the second owner. It's a beautiful car, mechanically sound, and rust free (from California). I love the car dearly, but, I just don't get to drive it much. I live on the East Coast in a major metropolitan area, and my current living situation does not have off-street parking. I wind up storing the car most of the year, under a cover in a storage garage unit, only taking it out a few weekends during the spring/summer at a time. It costs $115 per month to store the car and my classic car insurance policy costs $42 (so $157 monthly to keep it safe and off the streets). Now I've been in a situation where I need a daily driver to get to work, so I purchased an '07 CR-V to get me around the city.

Now my predicament is that I have this M3 that I just don't really drive much anymore. I pay to store, insure, and maintain it, but I'm not sure if it makes sense anymore in the long-term. I'd look to buy a house within the next couple of years, but if I keep the car, I need to find a house with a garage, which is slightly difficult to find in the city I'm in and will likely cost an additional $50 - $100k in terms of home cost for an attached garage.

I love the car but I can't seem to make much sense at paying upwards of $2500 every year to keep it. I bought it in early 2020 for $19k but with today's market, I have it valued at $30k with my classic car policy.

What would you do, have you been in a similar situation? Does it make sense to keep this car for 5-10 years?

PFA: https://i.redd.it/9np2w7dtnn271.jpg
    Last edited by scubastove; 11-28-2021, 01:33 PM.

I'd sell it.

Comment

Blue always does well and people love Topaz. I think if you are indecisive about keeping it and really just listed a lot of "cons" of owning it, then just sell. 30k seems a bit strong but that really all depends on condition, maintenance and rarity(hard to tell from one pic). Best of luck!

Comment

You have 2 options:
        1. Sell the CRV and drive your M3. Enjoy it!
        2. Sell the M3 so another guy can enjoy it.

Comment

I say keep it. You paid $19k and let's add 3 years of storage at $2500 is $26k. Too many variables at this time to say how much you could get for it but I would say around that 26 or more number. Prices are going up. Maybe wait one more year and then decide as it seems you are not sure right now.

Comment

Don't sell it. In 12-24 months you are gonna be kicking yourself for not getting a garage and keeping one of the greatest cars of all time.
            Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

I'd say keep it and sell the CRV. DD the M3.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                I'd say keep it and sell the CRV. DD the M3.
                Yes. The crv will be worthless in a couple years still cost money to run, you'll lose more going that route.

Comment

Keep the M3. While you might get good $$ for it, you'll kick yourself in a few years for selling it and no longer owning & being able to enjoy one of the quintessential N/A driver's cars ever manufactured.

At the end of the day, if you can afford to continue storing/maintaining/insuring the M3, why sell?

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                    DD the M3.
                    I can't imagine not having my M, nor want to. I took delivery twenty years ago next month and it STILL tickles the crap outta me every time I drive it. I never thought I'd own such a fun and equally beautiful car to drive. Long live the E46 M!

Comment

If you never plan on purchasing another m3 in your lifetime then sell.

Otherwise-

1. Buy house with garage
                      2. Make more money
                      3. ???????
                      4. Profit
                      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Get all the issues and maintenance taken care of on the M3 while you have the CR-V, then sell the CR-V, then drive the M3 into the ground. Life is too short to (daily) drive boring cars.
                        2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Sell crv and keep M3. I daily’d a 930 for 15 years and never looked back. I’ve never let the value or collectibility of a car dictate how I drive or use it, I drive what I enjoy.

Comment

4 options:

1. Sell M3
                            2. Sell CRV - daily M3
                            3. Sell both, use Uber.
                            4. Make more money.
                            BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

I'd sell it. Can always buy another one later when you have the means, plenty of these cars around. If you DD with winter salts it'll turn into a rusty battered pile of shit in no time anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X