Keep car or is it time to move on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lapoune View Post
    I'd sell it. Can always buy another one later when you have the means, plenty of these cars around. If you DD with winter salts it'll turn into a rusty battered pile of shit in no time anyway.
    Unless it has a crash history, it really doesn’t— the rust proofing is quite good. I dailied mine for a decade and it never turned into a rusty battered pile of shit.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Unless it has a crash history, it really doesn’t— the rust proofing is quite good. I dailied mine for a decade and it never turned into a rusty battered pile of shit.
      Depends on location of course, he seems to be in philly which I was under the impression was pretty bad (especially with salt), though their winters might be milder than I'm thinking. I have it worst in Quebec but a recent one I bought is pretty rusted with only 40k miles. Gets sandblasted with the rocks and salts they pour on the roads also. Parking in the streets in a city means trying to cross snowplow mounds, paint scratches from snowbrushes, high chances of damaging bumpers\mirrors\wheels. Just sounds like overall hell to me and a big contrast from the way he uses it now.

Comment

Originally posted by lapoune View Post

Depends on location of course, he seems to be in philly which I was under the impression was pretty bad (especially with salt), though their winters might be milder than I'm thinking. I have it worst in Quebec but a recent one I bought is pretty rusted with only 40k miles. Gets sandblasted with the rocks and salts they pour on the roads also. Parking in the streets in a city means trying to cross snowplow mounds, paint scratches from snowbrushes, high chances of damaging bumpers\mirrors\wheels. Just sounds like overall hell to me and a big contrast from the way he uses it now.
        I am also in Philly, so sound be a similar experience.

Certainly street parking will be hard on it. I'm not trying to say that (or winter driving it, for that matter) won't result in more wear. But... so what? Better to sell it to someone else and let them enjoy it than enjoy it yourself? Doesn't make sense to me.

Even from a value perspective, the CRV will lose 50% of its value over the next 10 years. The M3 should stay ~same, even DDed. So, even financially, with no thoughts given to the increased enjoyment of driving, better off DDing the M3. The M3 would likely appreciate more if not driven, but he doesn't get the benefit of that if he sells the car, either.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Me personally, daily driving a "fun" car in any moderately large city isn't well... fun. Red lights aren't fun, traffic isn't fun, cops aren't fun, pedestrians aren't fun, people dinging your car isn't fun, parking isn't fun, you get the point.

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
            Me personally, daily driving a "fun" car in any moderately large city isn't well... fun. Red lights aren't fun, traffic isn't fun, cops aren't fun, pedestrians aren't fun, people dinging your car isn't fun, parking isn't fun, you get the point.
            Well, that's true. In fact, everything about living in a city is pretty miserable, IMO. Have always avoided, will continue to avoid.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I daily drove a 240Z for years in the SF Bay Area with no heat or AC, no PS, etc. All those things are worth it when you get to wring the cars neck 😎. Everyone has their own level of tolerance though.

If it were me, I would also lean towards keeping the M3 and getting rid of the CRV.
              Last edited by DJAM3; 11-29-2021, 07:08 AM.
              2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Anthracite Impuse
              Fabspeed Headers | Euro Sec 1 | OE Sec 2 | Scorpion Sec 3 | Beisan | Mini Battery | Fortune Auto 7k/12k | Hotchkis Front SB | Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 | Yellow Tag Rack

2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Black Nappa Leather
              Karbonius | Supersprint | Cat Cams | Beisan | Fikse Wheels | Mile End Composites | AST 5200 | Hotchkis | Brembo | Recaro | Rouge SMF | RTD | Yellow Tag Rack | HTE Performance

Comment

Originally posted by scubastove View Post

Now my predicament is that I have this M3 that I just don't really drive much anymore.
                imo your mistake was getting a DD (CRV) to supplement what is a perfectly fine DD (E46 M3)

factoring in the additional insurance/registration/maintenance i can't fathom you're saving all that much by owning a second car

Comment

First things first. Do you like where you live? Are you the city person and don't see the need for moving to the suburbs?

if you know you will move in the next 5y, I'd totally keep it. If you/wife prefer city life then sell it or factor in the annual costs (which I don't find that horrible. When I lived in NYC I paid over 500 per month for parking...)

Comment

That's ridiculous, he isn't going to be DD'ing an M3 around Philly streets.

The question that should be asked is, if he gets a house w/ garage in a couple years, how much will he stare at the empty parking?
                    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
                      That's ridiculous, he isn't going to be DD'ing an M3 around Philly streets.

The question that should be asked is, if he gets a house w/ garage in a couple years, how much will he stare at the empty parking?
                      When I worked in Philly routinely, I bought an e36 M3 just for when I had to go into the city. Super ratty looking, but all the go fast bits were maintained to be like new, so drove wonderfully. Zero regrets.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

This is the future you telling you to not be that guy who tells everyone how you regret selling the car you loved.
                        Last edited by Epsilon; 11-29-2021, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
                          This is the future you telling you to not be that guy that tells everyone how you regret selling the car you loved.
                          lol

I constantly used to want to sell my E46 before I started tracking it and before I fixed the biggest flaws on my particular car. My girlfriend at the time, now fiancee and soon to be wife, would convince me each time to keep the damn car. We were essentially in your situation OP .. renting a small apartment in Cambridge MA with street parking only and the car was kept at my dad's in NH barely driven at all. We have a house with detached garage a little further north now and I am sure glad I kept the car, would have seriously regretted letting it go. $30k is a pretty small dent towards a house in most desirable areas these days in the grand scheme of things, can always make more money.

Comment

I'd keep it if I were you

Comment

If you have to think about it, sell it so someone else can enjoy it.

Comment

Sell both. I'd rather light money on fire than spend a single dollar maintaining a CRV.

Comment

Working...
                                X