Radium Engineering E46 M3 Oil Catch Can Install and Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Radium Engineering E46 M3 Oil Catch Can Install and Review

This install was on done on 1 June 2013.

I have always wanted to get an Oil Catch Can but I hesitated as everyone said there is no real need for it on an NA motor. Well after member stash1 posted the contents of his Oil Catch Can ( http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=443850 ) it prompted me into looking for one because I didn't want the gunk in my engine. I came upon a few of them which were pretty high quality and a lot of people also suggested building one from here and there and how that would be so much cheaper.

What I wanted was a high quality PnP application as I often do not have enough time to work on my own car. I came across the RADIUM ENGINEERING's newly released S54 E46 M3 Oil Catch Can. The quality looked amazing to start with so I shot them an email and they quickly replied back. Next day I had paid for it and it was on its way and when it arrived.........I knew I had made the right decision in going with Radium.

The kit came very well and safely packaged with all the parts you'll need to install the catch can including clear, detailed step by step instructions with pics.
    The Oil Catch Can itself.....

All the parts in the kit ready to install.....

Rubber support gromit installed (only for cars from 03-06 MY).....

Bracket Installed.....

Oil Catch Can Installed Loosely....

Cutting the Valve Cover Ventilation Hose to remove the connectors.....

Hoses Clamped with supplied Clamps to the correct locations on the valve cover and OEM CSL Airbox.....

Catch Can Installed and Tightened all Connectors etc. love the attention to detail on Radium's products. Notice the little green dipstick....

In this Pic the hoses are installed the wrong way around on the catch can. My Mistake....

Corrected and Completed Install.....

We Will have to see how much Gunk it collects lol. As I don't drive my car much or don't get the chance to drive it much it might be a while.

I just thought I would let all you good people know about http://www.radiumauto.com/default.aspx and their excellent service and products.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by 0-60motorsports; 04-19-2020, 04:37 AM.

very interesting, may i ask why this is done? Is there an oil separator? Remove the original 11157840446

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2424 View Post
      very interesting, may i ask why this is done? Is there an oil separator? Remove the original 11157840446
      With the CSL intake installed on my car i have noticed this catch can catches a lot of gunk. Our region is very dusty and this keeps the engine nice and clean.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation and the interesting contribution

Comment

I'm just waiting for fittings to arrive so I can install my catch can, ECS has a good price on this one, https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...779ecs05-01~a/
          But I noticed that Radium sent you heater hose instead of fuel line, the heater hose will eventually swell and bubble because of the oil traveling through it and then need replacing again. Looks like a clean install.

Comment

Originally posted by grannyknot View Post
            I'm just waiting for fittings to arrive so I can install my catch can, ECS has a good price on this one, https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...779ecs05-01~a/
            But I noticed that Radium sent you heater hose instead of fuel line, the heater hose will eventually swell and bubble because of the oil traveling through it and then need replacing again. Looks like a clean install.
            I installed this on 1 June 2013. The hoses are still perfect so you are wrong.

Thanks. It catches a lot of gunk.

Comment

the previous owner of my car had it installed and i've driven it about 5k miles on the road and track and barely see anything in the can. so i dunno how much this actually collects, even with going to the track twice a month (before the virus hit). will keep monitoring and report back.
              2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
              2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
                the previous owner of my car had it installed and i've driven it about 5k miles on the road and track and barely see anything in the can. so i dunno how much this actually collects, even with going to the track twice a month (before the virus hit). will keep monitoring and report back.
                Really? I hardly drive my car and check it maybe every 6 months and there is about an inch of brown gunk in there

Comment

Nice work & documentation homie!

Comment

Originally posted by M Coupe View Post
                    Nice work & documentation homie!
                    Cheers brother. Stay safe.

Comment

Thanks for this! Installing mine this week
                      ‘02 LSB M3 (11k original miles)
                      ’03 Oxford Green M3 (Turbo’d)

Comment

Originally posted by Hallerhan View Post
                        Thanks for this! Installing mine this week
                        My pleasure, post pics when your done please. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

Really? I hardly drive my car and check it maybe every 6 months and there is about an inch of brown gunk in there
                          interesting! yeah, not much stuff on my side interestingly enough. it's hooked up to a karbonius intake too.
                          2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
                          2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post

interesting! yeah, not much stuff on my side interestingly enough. it's hooked up to a karbonius intake too.
                            Maybe because it’s humid and hot and dusty here in Bahrain....

Comment

Same catch can here, mine catch a lot, i check it when i remember that i have it, lol always pick up a bunch of coffee.

Last time a few month a go:

Click image for larger version

Name:	3868d5f0aa16f2343f889fa158082c37o.jpg
Views:	1524
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	14257

Comment

Working...
                              X