No announcement yet.

Radium Engineering E46 M3 Oil Catch Can Install and Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the write up! Mine gets here tomorrow - glad to hear another positive review.
    TiAG 6mt Coupe | KARBONIUS | SUPERSPRINT | FIKSE WHEELS | OEM CSL | MILE END COMPOSITES | AST 5200 | HOTCHKIS | BREMBO | RECARO | BEISAN | CATCAMS | CP-CARILLO | TMS | RTD | ROGUE ENGINEERING | AKG MOTORSPORT | HTE PERFORMANCE

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

I installed this on 1 June 2013. The hoses are still perfect so you are wrong.

Thanks. It catches a lot of gunk.
      No not wrong, there is a reason why heater hose is half the price of fuel and oil hose, it is not designed for it. Sounds like the engine is passing enough water vapor through those hoses that the oil isn't affecting it as much or perhaps they could be making heater hose out of better quality materials these days. Anyway, glad to hear it is working for you.

Comment

Originally posted by grannyknot View Post

No not wrong, there is a reason why heater hose is half the price of fuel and oil hose, it is not designed for it. Sounds like the engine is passing enough water vapor through those hoses that the oil isn't affecting it as much or perhaps they could be making heater hose out of better quality materials these days. Anyway, glad to hear it is working for you.
        Let’s see what hoses the other members have once they do their installs. I can always go and buy the other type but why mess with it when it’s absolutely perfect. I had them off a week ago and I always inspect everything and they looked perfect.

Comment

With the CSL intake installed on my car i have noticed this catch can catches a lot of gunk. Our region is very dusty and this keeps the engine nice and clean.
          Forgive my possible ignorance, but isn't that what the intake air filter is for? If enough dust is actually getting through your filter to cause a change in waste byproducts in your engine, that would be a disaster, no? Not trying to debate the effectiveness/utility of this product, but rather what causes this kind of gunk buildup.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

Forgive my possible ignorance, but isn't that what the intake air filter is for? If enough dust is actually getting through your filter to cause a change in waste byproducts in your engine, that would be a disaster, no? Not trying to debate the effectiveness/utility of this product, but rather what causes this kind of gunk buildup.
            It probably builds up because he doesn't drive it. Catch cans just keep your intake cleaner from oil. Nothing more. The catch can isn't catching anything that's not in the oil. It's really just a cosmetic thing. I would hate oil all inside my $3k intake.
            This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

It probably builds up because he doesn't drive it. Catch cans just keep your intake cleaner from oil. Nothing more. The catch can isn't catching anything that's not in the oil. It's really just a cosmetic thing. I would hate oil all inside my $3k intake.
              Well on an NA car yeah its kind of like that, but im glad all that crap is not recirculating in my engine.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying the hoses, I kept switching them around.
                IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

You are in the wrong side. I mean, the fumes from the engine are recirculated to the intake, but this fumes are going in after the air filter, not before so... but, in case that this will be like you said... the air filter will be crap in a short period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by bjz! View Post

You are in the wrong side. I mean, the fumes from the engine are recirculated to the intake, but this fumes are going in after the air filter, not before so... but, in case that this will be like you said... the air filter will be crap in a short period of time.
                    Yeah I just meant that in response to his suggestion that his catch can catches more things because he lives in a dusty area. Regardless of how dusty your environment is, the air filter is going to stop that dust from coming in and affecting what's going on inside the engine. What the catch can catches shouldn't be affected by the dustiness of your environment.

Comment

Let’s see what hoses the other members have once they do their installs. I can always go and buy the other type but why mess with it when it’s absolutely perfect. I had them off a week ago and I always inspect everything and they looked perfect.
                      That's really interesting, I have never heard of a heater hose that can tolerate contact with oil. The compounds used for oil and gas are much more expensive than the compound used for antifreeze/coolant so there would be no benefit to using them. When you had them off did you happen to look down the hose? That's where the swelling would be not on the outside and the hose coming out of the cylinder head I would think would be the worst.
                      Maybe they have changed the materials and my experience is "Old Tech".

Comment

I’ve had the product installed on my car for about 7 months now and couldn’t be happier. I installed it when I put on a Carbon air box. Out of all the upgrades I’ve installed the Radium can had the best instructions (not that it is a complex process) and great quality hardware. As to the heater hose, I’ve had no issues at all and my car is tracked and certainly has had oil through it with no issue. If it degrades over 5 years, then I probably got my money’s worth. Congrats on the new can. You will love it. Also, for those considering buying the catch-can, don’t by the petcock. There is not enough room in the bin and it’s easier to simply unscrew the bottom.
                        2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                        [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Originally posted by grannyknot View Post

That's really interesting, I have never heard of a heater hose that can tolerate contact with oil. The compounds used for oil and gas are much more expensive than the compound used for antifreeze/coolant so there would be no benefit to using them. When you had them off did you happen to look down the hose? That's where the swelling would be not on the outside and the hose coming out of the cylinder head I would think would be the worst.
                          Maybe they have changed the materials and my experience is "Old Tech".
                          Yes i looked inside of it and its perfectly normal with no swelling, its been 7 years. I don't think Radium would be stupid to sell this type of hose with the kit if they though they'd have trouble down the road. its been 7 years for mine and with our humid, hot and dusty conditions i would think i'd be the first to have issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh1179 View Post
                            I’ve had the product installed on my car for about 7 months now and couldn’t be happier. I installed it when I put on a Carbon air box. Out of all the upgrades I’ve installed the Radium can had the best instructions (not that it is a complex process) and great quality hardware. As to the heater hose, I’ve had no issues at all and my car is tracked and certainly has had oil through it with no issue. If it degrades over 5 years, then I probably got my money’s worth. Congrats on the new can. You will love it. Also, for those considering buying the catch-can, don’t by the petcock. There is not enough room in the bin and it’s easier to simply unscrew the bottom.
                            i've a lot of room for the petcock, but... is better if you unscrew it to clean it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by bjz! View Post

You know what, i think i know why i was getting so much crap in the last two years in the catch can....I was running the crappy foam filter for some reason. Switched back to OE CSL now and will keep my eye out for what i catch in the can.

Comment

You know what, i think i know why i was getting so much crap in the last two years in the catch can....I was running the crappy foam filter for some reason. Switched back to OE CSL now and will keep my eye out for what i catch in the can.
                                i got the ITG too, but...

Comment

Working...
                                X