Doing a diff rebuild.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Break loose the bolts, then remove the front bushing bolt, then I think you can push the diff forward to give more space between the trunk and the rear bushing bolts.
    Not sure that would work. The points where the diff bolts thread into the subframe are in front of the rear bushings, so there's no space to move the diff forward with the bolts broken loose.

Also, the hard part is breaking the bolts loose (and torquing them when reassembling). Once they're broken loose, you can use a <insert correct size here> mm box wrench to get them all the way out.
    Last edited by heinzboehmer; 12-15-2021, 09:42 PM.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

My wheel hop was caused by too much rebound damping on the shocks, causing them to pack and then alternate between grip and losing grip.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
        Not sure that would work. The points where the diff bolts thread into the subframe are in front of the rear bushings, so there's no space to move the diff forward with the bolts broken loose..
        You're right that the subframe threaded pieces are in front of the diff ears and so cannot push the diff forward.

OP said the bolt head touched the chassis on the way out without any tool on the bolt. Maybe he had non stock extra long bolts.

Comment

Update: car is back together. My clunk has been fixed. Even the M clunk is largely reduced. The poly bushings barely add any NVH. There is a very subtle whine which is awesome. Worth mentioning my shifter is a little bit notchier

There is almost no clunk going from neutral to first or neutral to reverse etc. this was a big issue before and what I thought was M clunk.

Overall very happy with the rebuild

Comment

Originally posted by SteelGreyM View Post
            Update: car is back together. My clunk has been fixed. Even the M clunk is largely reduced. The poly bushings barely add any NVH. There is a very subtle whine which is awesome. Worth mentioning my shifter is a little bit notchier

There is almost no clunk going from neutral to first or neutral to reverse etc. this was a big issue before and what I thought was M clunk.

So exactly what had been done or replaced? Clutch stack, side-gears shims, output flange taper bearings? No pinion bearing change?

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

So exactly what had been done or replaced? Clutch stack, side-gears shims, output flange taper bearings? No pinion bearing change?
              Only the side gear shims and clutch stack! The bearings I didn’t touch. Probably should have done them while I was there but I got lazy for the first time with this car. (Too much fixing all at once).

Comment

So did you use the free play fix shim thing from racingdiffs or did you measure the play and buy appropriately sized flat shims?
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

So did you use the free play fix shim thing from racingdiffs or did you measure the play and buy appropriately sized flat shims?
                  Free play shim thing.

Should I have measured something? They told me I would be okay and I blindly trusted them.

Comment

Free play shim thing.

Should I have measured something? They told me I would be okay and I blindly trusted them.
                    No you're fine. Their shim is conical, so it'll compress when installed and fill the gap as needed.

The other option is to measure the play and get a flat shim that's correctly sized. Accomplishes the same thing in the end.

I was just curious what route you had chosen to go down. Glad to hear your issue is fixed though. Interested in seeing how the diff behaves in the upcoming (tens of thousands of) miles!

Comment

No you're fine. Their shim is conical, so it'll compress when installed and fill the gap as needed.

The other option is to measure the play and get a flat shim that's correctly sized. Accomplishes the same thing in the end.

I was just curious what route you had chosen to go down. Glad to hear your issue is fixed though. Interested in seeing how the diff behaves in the upcoming (tens of thousands of) miles!
                      I figured I’d be alright. Their solution made sense so long as they did the proper testing which is seems they have.

Me as well! I shouldn’t get so confident as it’s only been a handful of miles so far. But no weird sounds or anything coming from back there. Not that much of a difference at all to be honest. The car just feels… “newer”!!! Which I couldn’t be happier about !

Comment

Great news!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Using the conical shim is for the convenience of one size fits all (gap), but it has some trade off: it has small contact areas (just a circle on each side instead of the whole shim area) and so it will wear out faster; it creates a tight mesh on the side-gears and the spiders, and could cause a little more noise. The factory designed with good amount of gear clearance for a reason.

Comment

Working...
                          X