Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to install a F80 M3 Li-ion battery into a E46 M3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to install a F80 M3 Li-ion battery into a E46 M3?

Stumbled across a very good deal on a F80 M3 Li-ion battery and would like to see if it is possible to use it in an E46 M3? The battery as a 2 pin corrector on the side, I am guessing for checking the status of the battery in the F80 chassis. Awesome cranking power and OEM but 18lbs lighter than stock E46 M3 battery.

What I found on F80 forum, seems like it should work since there are electronics inside that will deal with the current coming in from alternator.

You can not over charge this battery it has battery isolating switch(relays) built in to it. It has 2 of then one as a redundant back up protects the li-ion cells from voltage, current and temperature issue. Jump starting the car with another car will work and using a booster pack will work as well.

Some battery specs:

-Normal volts 13.2
    -Max temp 176F over this isolating switch opens
    -Weight 14kg (old 26.5kg)
    -Max charging volts 14.4 over this and the isolating switch opens
    -If charge current is to high or short circuit isolating switch opens
    -Total discharge protection below 8 volts for 60sec
    -Life cycles 5000

Comment

Can't say for sure if it'll work. That said, these batteries are programmed to the specific car, they also allow you to use the BMW app to get feedback from said battery. I'm unsure if just these functions are disabled if you don't plug that stuff in, or if the battery itself is unusable at that stage.

The battery management system is integral to the battery, generally, though.

Comment

Originally posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
        Stumbled across a very good deal on a F80 M3 Li-ion battery and would like to see if it is possible to use it in an E46 M3? The battery as a 2 pin corrector on the side, I am guessing for checking the status of the battery in the F80 chassis. Awesome cranking power and OEM but 18lbs lighter than stock E46 M3 battery.
        I think the OEM weights in at about 48lbs, the CSL is about 35lbs as well as the mini battery which, correct me if I'm wrong, is the same battery. How many dollars is that Li-ion battery?
        E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
        Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

I think the OEM weights in at about 48lbs, the CSL is about 35lbs as well as the mini battery which, correct me if I'm wrong, is the same battery. How many dollars is that Li-ion battery?
          Around $1k last I checked

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

whooaaa! That's pricey!
            E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
            Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

If you think a G is nuts, how about 5 Gs for a car battery for a 991 GT3?

Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories: Not Found
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

This battery is another 5lbs savings over CSL/Mini while having more cranking power.

Originally posted by terra View Post

I am paying significantly less. 😃

~~~~~~~~~~

My biggest worry was if the battery gets overcharged or gets to much current which can lead to disastrous results but after reading the F80 forum, it seems like the battery has the electronics inside to protect itself. The 2 wire plug coming out sends information via Linbus about battery diagnostics, health, etc.

Comment

It should also last significantly longer than the CSL/Mini battery, making the time adjusted cost... not as bad as the purchase price implies.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i
                  2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Working...
                  X