So stoked, can't wait!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So stoked, can't wait!

Back in June of 2020, I moved to Wyoming from Ohio for a job with the Forest Service. My M3 drove and all, but it was late on maintenance and had some error lights up. So, in... 2017 I believe, I bought a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon for winter driving and because I figured it'd be cheaper to maintain. M3 didn't get a whole lot of driving since then.

Then I got this job and figured it was cheaper, safer, and a better idea to drive out with my Jeep and leave the M3 at home with my folks until I could afford to fix it up and drive it out.

Well, things finally have aligned and it looks like it's going to happen!

Couple months ago my brother got tickets for myself and him for Tool in Columbus in March. So, I figured I could fly home to Ohio and drive the M3 back if I could get it fixed.

Got a call a week ago or so from the shop I had it towed to and to do everything it needs to be safe to drive out is going to cost me about $3k. This is a lot less than I feared they were going to tell me. I was expecting $5-8k estimate. All the fluids, new positive battery cable, new battery, valve adjustment, new rear shocks, etc.

So, not only am I going to get to see Tool for the second time (and first time for my brother), I'm going to get to drive my M3 back - assuming the weather doesn't fuck me over.

I'm SO EXCITED - I absolutely love my M3 and cannot wait to get this thing back in the best condition it's been in since I've had it. Let alone have an awesome road trip across the US with it.

Man, the beginning of March can't come soon enough!!!

Sounds like fun. Good luck!

Comment

Have fun, you've convinced me to to buy on hell of an over-priced 2nd hand ticket for Tool, I was right on the edge, saw them last time around here in Lincoln and they will be in Omaha this time, only about an hour away.

Almost makes me want to grab some Phish tickets for New Years at Madison Square Garden and re-live my younger days, don't roast me too badly guys, but yeah I used to see Phish shows.

Going to shows and driving badass cars, fun stuff.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

Good luck with the car. Show us some pics once you have everything situated.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
          Have fun, you've convinced me to to buy on hell of an over-priced 2nd hand ticket for Tool, I was right on the edge, saw them last time around here in Lincoln and they will be in Omaha this time, only about an hour away.

Almost makes me want to grab some Phish tickets for New Years at Madison Square Garden and re-live my younger days, don't roast me too badly guys, but yeah I used to see Phish shows.

Going to shows and driving badass cars, fun stuff.
          my first phish show was in 1991 and my last was in 2021. Not my last but last one i was at. I never grew up.

i made the drive from canada(basically MI)to colorado in july and was fortunate to only catch heavy rain at the beginning in canada. It was before i replaced the tires though. In march weather could be a bigger gamble.
          Last edited by Rkymtnrider; 12-13-2021, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post
            Good luck with the car. Show us some pics once you have everything situated.
            There's a really good local detailing shop that us THE place, does Lambos and other exotics. Once I get it fixed up, I'm going to have them do a one step paint correction on it.

When that's done, I'll post plenty of pics.

Here's a pic from a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
            Last edited by CybrSlydr; 12-14-2021, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rkymtnrider View Post

my first phish show was in 1991 and my last was in 2021. Not my last but last one i was at. I never grew up.

i made the drive from canada(basically MI)to colorado in july and was fortunate to only catch heavy rain at the beginning in canada. It was before i replaced the tires though. In march weather could be a bigger gamble.
              I25 has been closed for almost 5 days due to wind in places.

The guy at the shop said my tires still look great, and they're Conti Extreme Contact DWS, so if it is snowy, I'll still have some winter capability.

Comment

We shall live vicariously through you.
                2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                2005 BMW ///M3
                ​ Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build ​​
                2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Maynard James Keenan FTMFW. Such an unbelievable band, definitely of Pink Floyd, Zep, etc. caliber. Technically one of the best ever. Hell, any band that writes music based on the Fibonacci sequence and makes it sound good... yeah.

Enjoy sir. Sounds like a blissful period of life.
                  Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue​

Comment

Brother grabbed a few pics for me when I had him drop off the first part payment for me.

Big wait currently is for the new positive battery cable that goes from the trunk to the engine bay.

Dunno why it's uploading the same pic.

Getting closer and closer!

Most annoying part is that the registration expires on my birthday, which is about 2 weeks before I'm due to go back and get it. Thankfully in Ohio, it's only about $60 to renew the registration - but I hate doing it since I'll be bringing it back to Wyoming. Asked how much it'll cost to register and plate it in Wyoming - $260!!!! :O

I might just renew in Ohio and keep that until I have to re-up my plates in Wyoming. Absolutely ridiculous.
                    Last edited by CybrSlydr; 01-21-2022, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Well, some bad news today.

When I originally had the car taken to the shop to get looked over and an estimate, it appears he gave me the estimate for parts only, not labor included or he vastly underestimated the amount of labor he was going to need to get all the work done.

So, that $3000 has ballooned into about $5600 with labor. Tomorrow I'll have paid $2800 of it.

I figured that the final total MIGHT be about $3500 - not $5600!

Here's the rub - I was supposed to be driving that thing back from my trip to Ohio in the middle of March. I only borrowed to accommodate the $3000 initial quote - so I'm $2800 short and I don't have that kind of cash lying around. Currently he's got about $2600 in parts into it.

So. I dunno what I'm going to do about this. My plane ticket to Ohio was one-way since I was driving it back. I can't imagine he'll let me take it a little over half paid-off to the other side of the country.

Comment

I've never heard of a shop providing a quote only to say it's for parts only. Sorry to hear.
                        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by CybrSlydr View Post
                          All the fluids, new positive battery cable, new battery, valve adjustment, new rear shocks, etc.
                          $5600 for that? 😲

Even $3000 seems steep.
                          2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Originally posted by K-Dawg View Post

$5600 for that? 😲

Even $3000 seems steep.
                            Well, he also replaced some of the gaskets on the windows that have dry rotted, did a lot of cleaning it up, replaced the rear shocks (blown out, might explain why it was thudding going over large bumps), headlights needed new bulbs, ballasts, valve adjustment, etc. About $2500 just in parts. Essentially did Insp 1&2 plus shocks and other things like the headlights, window gaskets, clean-up, etc.

He's done a bunch of work on it. I've had my car at his shop before, and he's an honest guy, so I don't doubt how much he's put into it. The car sat for almost two years until now.
                            Last edited by CybrSlydr; 02-15-2022, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Yeah, everything but the battery cable is pretty straight forward. Might have to remove a good chunk of the interior for that. I’m with K-Dawg…even 3k parts and labor is steep. Wish I’d seen this thread earlier for you. You could driven it just next door to Indiana and I bet we could knocked all that out in a day.

Comment

Working...
                              X