DCT Swap + S54

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DCT Swap + S54

This guy did something amazing. Check out his YouTube channel for the entire process he went through.

Don't think I've seen this done before with an S54. Any DCT I've seen in an E46 M3 has been paired with an S65 or S85.

Really interested in trying this myself in the future.

Pretty cool effort.

Amusingly, I feel like SMG isn't particularly worse than DCT on track-- it's on the street where SMG suffers in comparison.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

That is badassery! That S54 sounds remarkable going through a DCT. It almost doesn't sound like an S54 because of how fast those shifts are. So cool, I admire the technical achievement that it is if nothing else.

And Buttonwillow is one hell of a fun track.

By the way, Slonik put a DCT behind his car:
      Hello again! i'm an owner of my M3 from 2012 February. its my first BMW, so i'm young enough in the BMW world. same time, i prefer to "fall in love" totally, so diving to the deepest level is my case :D i had purchased it with 113000km. first few years i have used it like daily driven and then, it had some break on

Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

in that video i wonder what were the factors in place that kept that other M3 with the large wing in front and increasing its lead/gap. that thing just kept increasing the gap faster and faster and it probably didn't have DCT. Was it driver? car? or both?

Comment

Laughs in AutoSolutions SSK lol

In all seriousness, it's different. But unless the car was already SMG, I wouldn't do this to a factory manual car lol
          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
          2005 BMW ///M3
          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

I watched the vids, incredible effort.

Also like his honesty: https://youtu.be/nxd-phR3BMQ?t=409
            Last edited by oceansize; 01-13-2022, 09:29 AM.
            3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

The lighting in the video is excellent. Not to mention the riveting monologue lol

Cool project I guess, if you're a shop trying to sell a kit or services to endurance racers
              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

If you decide to attempt this, don't bother with the HTG junk, it's utter rubbish! Been there, done that lol.

Comment

I feel like there was a post about someone doing this, not in the states though. And maybe it was forwarded and not the person postin but awesome innovation with the transmission.

Comment

This is kind of the ultimate goal for my build. There is a thread on M3Cutters where the guy went through the build process and the parts he used/removed and exchanged. I'll edit my post when I find it here in a moment. I just love the ingenuity.
                    2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                    [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                      Pretty cool effort.

Amusingly, I feel like SMG isn't particularly worse than DCT on track-- it's on the street where SMG suffers in comparison.
                      Concur. The only advantage of the DCT over the SMG is being able to shift in high G corner. The DCT doesnt upset the car as much as SMG.

Comment

Couldn’t be any less interested 🥱
                        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

waiting for this mod to become popular and "easier" for normal DIYers to perform :P

all those wiring, coding process look extremely difficult and challenging to me .. haha ..

hate to go through all those tedious procedures to find out it's not working right .. or f up the transmission board due to bad soldering .. (@@)

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh1179 View Post
                            This is kind of the ultimate goal for my build. There is a thread on M3Cutters where the guy went through the build process and the parts he used/removed and exchanged. I'll edit my post when I find it here in a moment. I just love the ingenuity.
                            If it's strictly a track car, have you looked into putting in a Drenth gearbox?

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                              Pretty cool effort.

It only suffers for the lazy who drive it like an automatic. SMG was perfectly smooth in my decade of ownership with it.

Absolutely pointless swap, but if you’re bored in a locked down country, I get it.

Comment

Working...
                              X