No announcement yet.

DCT Swap + S54

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as and SMG owner, I'd love to do the DCT swap!

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post
      This was my car on the long ratio box with a 4.10 rear end.

I didn't realize you had done this before. Sick! Did you do the conversion yourself? Do you have any other details?

I'm 6MT so probably not doing this swap anytime soon (ever), but the technical feat for the pioneers who decided to make this work without a kit available or manual to go by... call me impressed.
      Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post
        If you decide to attempt this, don't bother with the HTG junk, it's utter rubbish! Been there, done that lol.
        This is the comment I came here for, haha.

What about a ZF8 speed auto swap?

Last edited by George Hill; 01-15-2022, 04:08 AM.
        '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
        Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
        Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

This is the comment I came here for, haha.

Never thought I would see the day where there is an auto E46 M3...lol

I love my E90 M3 DCT. Its constant power with a quick jerk on the upshifts.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Never thought I would see the day where there is an auto E46 M3...lol

I love my E90 M3 DCT. Its constant power with a quick jerk on the upshifts.
            To be fair that is an Auto S54 touring, lol.

But really I think there is a decent market for these (same as what the DCT retrofit option was SUPPOSED to be) for people who don't want a clutch pedal but also don't want a SMG.
            '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Comment

It appears that tuning seamless downshifts for the DCT swap is no small feat. Almost every video I have seen with these DCT swaps has some issue changing gear smoothly.

Comment

The DCT is great on the s65, looks like it works well on the s54....wish I could drive it lol....

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                  It appears that tuning seamless downshifts for the DCT swap is no small feat. Almost every video I have seen with these DCT swaps has some issue changing gear smoothly.
                  What are some of the factors that make it difficult?
                  This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                  https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

What are some of the factors that make it difficult?
                    The factors are HTG. But really for the most part you have 3x options for DCT controllers: MaxxECU, DKGECU and HTG Tuning. HTG is the most prevalent and drivability seems to be 100% dependent on the end users definition of drivable. Some people say they are great, some people through them in the trash (metaphorically speaking) like Martyn.

Comment

would love to read/hear more updates from this DCT swap experience journey~

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                        I know that changing the gear ratios on the E9X M3 can sometimes screw up the shifting. Two popular gearsets were 3.45 and the 3.62. I haven't heard of anyone having an issue with the 3.45. Have heard of issues with the 3.62. Apparently there is software for the OE transmission control unit that fixes shifting in both manual and auto modes.

I want to put a 3.62 in my E90 M3...someday...when I get off my lazy ass.

From a couple of short rides on G80 M3s...the auto trans in the G8X is every bit as fast on the shifts as my E90 M3 DCT. The auto feels like a DCT. I have to wonder how much more does it weigh than a DCT?

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

those ZF boxes > any DCT out there

Comment

I'd bet my auto setup weights in about 220#, it is not light by any means.

Here are some laps at CoTA with my ZF8/S54 touring. Still some transmission tuning left to do but you can hear the shifts. I was also playing around with lifting on the shifts to see if that affected anything as well (trans temps namely).

​​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                            X