Vanos issue with no vanos codes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vanos issue with no vanos codes?

After a little bit of testing and trial and error, I have been able to narrow down a consistent misfire on my car at 4+k rpm under load and only under load. Issues started off as an intermittent cylinder 3,4,5 misfire (not noticeable but the code was there). This then progressed to the car shuddering and becoming a paperweight.

The car has suffered some rough idling issues but after resetting the adaptations and clearing codes the car was able to idle smoothly and rev up to 6k rpm while in neutral without missing a beat. Everything seems normal at this point. I went to take the car for a test drive, maybe kinda sluggish but drove normal and operable. Hesitation at about 3500 rpm and then right at 4000 rpm immediate misfires. Very feelable and the car really just not wanting to live. Off the top of my head, I believe I got the apparent 3,4,5 misfire from before. Along with an occasional cylinder 1 misfire code and then just one time a bank 1 fuel system code. All of these codes were through INPA.

All I have done to the car was to replace the vanos solenoid sealing plate. I may have accidentally overtightened my solenoid coil pack and caused a slight crack on the mounting joint. Although I do not think this caused my issue I have a new solenoid coil in the mail now. I have the valve cover off and from what I can see the exhaust hub tabs are in good shape and no apparent issues from what I can see.

Is there anyone out there who may know more about what my issue could possibly be? I'm waiting on amazon and their shipping delays to be able to check my timing with the timing tool.

A little aside, does anyone know of any other programs I can use to see a little more than inpa shows? I was hoping to be able to see fuel trimmings etc to see if I can visibly see my issue/symptoms through the OBD port (wishful thinking)

Feel like I responded to this but prob was on e46fanatics.

Welcome to this forum!

Make sure your electrical connection to the solenoid is tight.

If you have a bluetooth obd2 adapter, you can download the Torque app or OBD Fusion app on your phone they can give you basic real time readouts for troubleshooting.
    Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

You sure this is because of the VANOS? Doesn't really make sense to me that only half of the cylinders are misfiring. Shouldn't all of them be? The VANOS is limited to advancing or retarding timing for all cylinders at the same time, so half of them being okay makes me think this is unrelated.

How old are your plugs and coils? If recently changed what brand are they? I've heard about issues with certain brands.
      Last edited by heinzboehmer; 04-20-2020, 10:29 PM.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
        Feel like I responded to this but prob was on e46fanatics.

Welcome to this forum!

Make sure your electrical connection to the solenoid is tight.

If you have a bluetooth obd2 adapter, you can download the Torque app or OBD Fusion app on your phone they can give you basic real time readouts for troubleshooting.
        Out of curiosity, what parameters in Torque/OBDFusion pertain to VANOS function, and what would target values look like?

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

Out of curiosity, what parameters in Torque/OBDFusion pertain to VANOS function, and what would target values look like?
          They will not show anything VANOS related. That was a comment to his "A little aside..." last paragraph asking for other software that can show fuel trims and other basic readouts.
          Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

I did post this on e46 fanatics as well! I figured this is where all the people are right now after I posted.

so before purchase there was what I believe this same issue where the dealer I purchased from took the car to a shop and got the thermostat, an o2 sensor and 2 coil packs and all new spark plugs. The only thing not listed on the service receipt are the spark plugs. Now to be fair, the 2 they replaced are not oem coils but they are the proper plugs. The car drove fine for roughly 1500 miles or so in this condition with no issues. I then got a 3,4,5 and random miss codes but never felt it skip a beat. Messed with it and changed it out with a temporary non oem coil as well. Car ran fine and then all of a sudden when at WOT I hit 4K rpm and the whole thing about died.

Also another thing to note is that the misfires never chase and they’re not consistent. Car functions properly until under load @ 4K rpm. I guess technically not properly from what I remember but it didn’t misfire

EDIT: The reason this points to vanos is the inconsistency of the codes that I’m seeing. I even after one time testing it got a cylinder 1 misfire code. That and you have stuff like the bank 1 fuel system error. Which was completely out of left field. I have thought that this could possibly be a fuel issue as well. Which is why I was hoping to get a little more of an in depth look than what inpa can give me. Also I have run the fuel pump test in inpa and everything performed optimally there
            Last edited by Darbshaw; 04-21-2020, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Yes, it is possible that the car does not have an SES light on the dash but that there is still an issue within the vanos. Awhile back I had a car come to me for an Inspection II service and to inspect the cars suspension for a rattle the customer was hearing. This was the first time I had seen the car so I did a quick test drive and visual inspection with the customer present. On the initial test drive with the customer I did notice the car was a bit sluggish down low. I also saw some interesting things on the visual inspection so I then ran a vanos test with the customer present and it failed immediately. On this car there was an issue with engine timing that we were able to resolve among other things.

You may have another issue outside of the vanos but it is possible that the car isn't throwing a code despite there being an underlying issue. I also would only suggest using a Genuine OE BMW timing bridge tool and a single pin. And to run a vanos test to verify that the system is functioning properly and that the engine is timed correctly.
              SF Bay Area Vanos, Rod Bearings, Inspection II, etc. Services : Member Feedback
              E46 M3 Track Videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/DanAvon

Comment

Thank you for the reply!! I definitely have a ses light but just no true vanos codes. It wouldn’t make sense imo to be a timing issue because I can rev freely but I can totally see vanos since it’s load based.

is there a way to test the vanos in inpa or is there another program? Unfortunately I’m going to have to go for the visual inspection in the next couple days as I have the valve cover off for valve shimming and a new vcg.

Comment

Originally posted by DanAvoN7 View Post
                  Yes, it is possible that the car does not have an SES light on the dash but that there is still an issue within the vanos. Awhile back I had a car come to me for an Inspection II service and to inspect the cars suspension for a rattle the customer was hearing. This was the first time I had seen the car so I did a quick test drive and visual inspection with the customer present. On the initial test drive with the customer I did notice the car was a bit sluggish down low. I also saw some interesting things on the visual inspection so I then ran a vanos test with the customer present and it failed immediately. On this car there was an issue with engine timing that we were able to resolve among other things.

You may have another issue outside of the vanos but it is possible that the car isn't throwing a code despite there being an underlying issue. I also would only suggest using a Genuine OE BMW timing bridge tool and a single pin. And to run a vanos test to verify that the system is functioning properly and that the engine is timed correctly.
                  Good to see some posts from you once in a while😉😜. When is trackday 😥
                  Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

Originally posted by Darbshaw View Post
                    is there a way to test the vanos in inpa or is there another program?
                    INPA can not perform the VANOS test, you have to use DIS, which you can download on your computer (but it's a bear to get working).

Few easier ways to do the test - find an enthusiast near you who has DIS on their laptop and borrow, or ask a local BMW shop if they have Autologic and if they can run it for you (test itself takes only a minute or two, and they plug in via OBD2 port).

Pic of autologic:
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20200421-225643_Drive.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.3 KB ID:	15413
                    Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

Go back to the shop that did the work and find out what parts they installed on the engine. Aftermarket parts are often crap and will give you problems.
                      Aftermarket camshaft or crankshaft position sensors can do this.
                      Aftermarket O2 sensors could do this. Make sure they installed Bosch OEM sensors.
                      Aftermarket coils could do this.

Comment

Working...
                      X