Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
    yes
    This means the Butyl tape has a specific thickness and not just any tapes.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

This means the Butyl tape has a specific thickness and not just any tapes.
      The butyl tape they use is gummy, like the stuff on the vapor barrier. Any old ribbon will form into the space.
      Last edited by Icecream; 01-22-2022, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

I'm pretty sure ISTA is a port from TIS from when they scanned in the manuals back in the day. I preloaded mine because I didn't have any tape. I'll be pulling the exhaust off and fixing that soon.

Bentley is old and unlike TIS, and whatever it was called before, the updates are a bit more difficult.
        How would tape affect preload? Every source outside of this thread has always preloaded them.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post
          How would tape affect preload? Every source outside of this thread has always preloaded them.
          Maybe these bearings were preloaded at factory already. It can be checked by rocking the center sleeve axially and radially and see if any plays can be detected. If there is plays, then I would preload it forward by about 2mm.

I think the butyl tape helps to keep the bearing square to the shaft and this prevents unnecessary peak force on any single ball, a better design. The old version with only the bottom bar bolted down is not stable, this can cause the top part vibrating back/forth, cocking the balls.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
            Maybe these bearings were preloaded at factory already. It can be checked by rocking the center sleeve axially and radially and see if any plays can be detected. If there is plays, then I would preload it forward by about 2mm.

I think the butyl tape helps to keep the bearing square to the shaft and this prevents unnecessary peak force on any single ball, a better design. The old version with only the bottom bar bolted down is not stable, this can cause the top part vibrating back/forth, cocking the balls.
            I think that is what it's for too but I don't think it changes the need to preload it. They left a lot of room to preload up to 4mm or so for a reason I think. Maybe it's just to keep the bearing loaded and minimize movement as the forces change during shifts or something? .Only thing I can think of atm.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

Not sure if the tape is related but the up to date official BMW instructions don't mention any preload.
              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Hmm, just checked myself, and it indeed doesn't seem to mention anything about preload. I did preload mine years ago with seemingly no ill effect.

E36 version of the instructions does mention preload. Mechanically I don't see why it would be very different, but who knows

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-26 090803.png
Views:	454
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	150243

Attached Files

Comment

Re-bumping this as I'm installing my driveshaft soon. purchased the OE butyl tape. One thing I found interesting is TIS mentions to put "mineral oil" on the body side to lubricate the surface when butyl tape goes in. Seem odd as it would negate any adhesive properties of the tape and attract a bunch of dirt, not to mention degrade the tape?

Did you follow this step? Tbonem3 SteelGreyM
                  Attached Files

Comment

Probably means you need to prep the surface.

My LCI 330 came with butyl tape from the factory. I'm guessing the butyl tape helps to hold the bearing housing forward while torquing the nuts.

Comment

The mineral oil is a lubricant to allow the tape to evenly smush (very technical term) when compressed.

Comment

I didn't use any oil.
                        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by bavarian3 View Post
                          Re-bumping this as I'm installing my driveshaft soon. purchased the OE butyl tape. One thing I found interesting is TIS mentions to put "mineral oil" on the body side to lubricate the surface when butyl tape goes in. Seem odd as it would negate any adhesive properties of the tape and attract a bunch of dirt, not to mention degrade the tape?

Did you follow this step? Tbonem3 SteelGreyM
                          Yes I did

I like doing it the way the engineers intended. they obviously had a reason for it

Comment

Working...
                          X