Ideas of factory looking subwoofer for E46 M3 Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas of factory looking subwoofer for E46 M3 Convertible

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has any idea if you can drop a aftermarket sub that still works with the factory subwoofer box. I recently purchased the Bavsound speakers for the car and want to also upgrade the subs to go along with the speakers. If anyone has any idea on what I should do please lmk, I am going towards a factory look and if I have to get a box, trying to find one very minimalistic. Thank You everyone!

Id look for 6x9s that are meant for reproducing low frequencies

Comment

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...ge5#post141013

See post #74 and attachments for ideas. I would probably consider replicating the BavSound setup if I had to do it today, except with a 5 way amp to power both the cabin and the sub. The links in the attachments still work to guide you through.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by Rkymtnrider View Post
        Id look for 6x9s that are meant for reproducing low frequencies
        I'll definitely check it out thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...ge5#post141013

See post #74 and attachments for ideas. I would probably consider replicating the BavSound setup if I had to do it today, except with a 5 way amp to power both the cabin and the sub. The links in the attachments still work to guide you through.

maw
          Oh sweet appreciate everything, just something very new to me with audio, also planning on doing a upgrade for my head unit as well, maybe Avin Avant headunit to keep a OEM look but modern features. Would you suggest a different brand? Thank You!

Comment

Originally posted by PaulM3 View Post
            Oh sweet appreciate everything, just something very new to me with audio, also planning on doing a upgrade for my head unit as well, maybe Avin Avant headunit to keep a OEM look but modern features. Would you suggest a different brand? Thank You!
            No worries, glad to help. BTDT. Too bad BavSound no longer makes that ski pass sub, but I'm glad I downloaded and preserved the stuff. The woofer wasn't all that great, but it's workable. There are better slim mount 10" subs out there today, obviously, and better ways to build boxes. CAD processes, materials, amps, all cheaper, better and easier these days. I went the same way as you with OEM look. I recommend Dynavin (and Jeff Bechtel) without reservation. Opinions on this are all over the map, depending upon your CarPlay preferences. I just needed it to sound great, not look or feel obnoxious, and not waste my time chasing service over BS issues that quality control should have caught before product release. YMMV.

maw

Comment

I used a gen 1 Basslink and mounted it to the battery tray. All the connections are quick disconnect and takes 30 seconds to remove the whole subwoofer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sub m3.jpg
Views:	2964
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	154690
              2003.5 E46 M3 Silver Grey/Cinnamon

MCS - Vorshlag Plates - SSv1- SS Dual 2.5" Sec.2 - SS (Hamann) Street Sec.3 - 3.91 Gears - BBS E88s - 996 Brembo - PSMax - SDW Monoball - VinceBar - DMG - Haimus CSL - Karbonius - HTE Tuning - AEM 50-1200

http://www.instagram.com/sid_e46/
              Journal: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...grey-speed-run

Comment

^^^This is a coupe, correct?

OP, unless you're taking your convertible skiing or something (mine came with heated seats, so maybe?), you'll never have to remove the BavSound SkiPass solution. You simply give up that functionality. But your golf clubs will still fit across the back just fine, two sets even.

maw
                Last edited by maw1124; 02-18-2022, 06:10 PM.

Comment

^^^This is a coupe, correct?

OP, unless you're taking your convertible skiing or something (mine came with heated seats, so maybe?), you'll never have to remove the BavSound SkiPass solution. You simply give up that functionality. But your golf clubs will still fit across the back just fine, two sets even.

maw
                  Yes, its a coupe. I have a friend that cut out a piece of MDF and mounted a 10-inch sub to where the OE sub normally sits in his vert.
                  2003.5 E46 M3 Silver Grey/Cinnamon

MCS - Vorshlag Plates - SSv1- SS Dual 2.5" Sec.2 - SS (Hamann) Street Sec.3 - 3.91 Gears - BBS E88s - 996 Brembo - PSMax - SDW Monoball - VinceBar - DMG - Haimus CSL - Karbonius - HTE Tuning - AEM 50-1200

http://www.instagram.com/sid_e46/
                  Journal: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...grey-speed-run

Comment

No worries, glad to help. BTDT. Too bad BavSound no longer makes that ski pass sub, but I'm glad I downloaded and preserved the stuff. The woofer wasn't all that great, but it's workable. There are better slim mount 10" subs out there today, obviously, and better ways to build boxes. CAD processes, materials, amps, all cheaper, better and easier these days. I went the same way as you with OEM look. I recommend Dynavin (and Jeff Bechtel) without reservation. Opinions on this are all over the map, depending upon your CarPlay preferences. I just needed it to sound great, not look or feel obnoxious, and not waste my time chasing service over BS issues that quality control should have caught before product release. YMMV.

maw
                    Appreciate everything you have told me, this was extremely helpful. I'll definitely check them out just slowly getting my interior seeming a bit more modern, thanks again!

Comment

I recommend Dynavin (and Jeff Bechtel) without reservation. Opinions on this are all over the map, depending upon your CarPlay preferences. I just needed it to sound great, not look or feel obnoxious, and not waste my time chasing service over BS issues that quality control should have caught before product release. YMMV.

maw
                      Had no idea Dynavin upgraded their unit to include carplay functionality now. Thanks for the tip!
                      2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

this is what i did in mine and it sounds good
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2204.jpg
Views:	2525
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	159477 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2203.jpg
Views:	2248
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	159479
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by e46ixm3 View Post
                          this is what i did in mine and it sounds good…
                          No, that sounds great. That’s what the BavSound setup was like, and it’s tremendous. What amps are you running? Did you change the head unit to get a subwoofer control? Is that an open air woofer?

maw
                          Last edited by maw1124; 03-16-2022, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Even a little 8" I had in IB in the ski pass moved quite a lot of air (hpf'd @ 40hz).

IB mounting is superior to an enclosed/ported box imo for our cars where we do care about weight as well. And you can get away with an 8" or 10", you don't *need* a 12".
                            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

+ you can keep it musical as opposed to boomy… jazz club not strip club, sort of thing… or check that, jazz club AND strip club… acoustically, that is.

maw
                              Last edited by maw1124; 03-16-2022, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X