Helicoil vanos to head bolt hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helicoil vanos to head bolt hole

So even though I religiously use a torque wrench and check my calibration (crudely) every week, somehow I've still managed to strip out the hole in the head for the vanos mounting. It brought out the entire threading with the bolt so now I need to fix it Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220222_210443_com.whatsapp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.6 KB ID:	155285

could I use a helicoil kit but leave the vanos in place.

The vanos hole is definitely bigger than 6mm and probably the 6.3mm drill bit which is supplied for the helicoil. So therefore using the hole as a guide to keep the drill straight as I drill. Then tap the hole that's in the block and fit the helicoil into the block?

If smaller obviously ill need to strip down but in the case that it's bigger, I can't see any issue using the hole as a guide right?

Secondly could I fit a stud and then use a nut to fix the vanos on rather than a bolt, it will reduce issues I assume as when tightening there is just a pull on the threads rather than a twist and pull with a bolt?
    Last edited by Arinb12; 02-22-2022, 12:50 PM.

I had mine timeserted but vanos was already out.
    2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
    2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post
      I had mine timeserted but vanos was already out.
      Was it easy to do in situ?

Did they use a 90 degree drill etc or did you pull the front end off?

Comment

When i did this I used timesert with the vanos off. Even with the vanos off it was a pita with the rad in place. Need a low profile right angle drill to do it right.

Comment

Couple years ago i snapped half the bolt in the same spot. George Hill managed to remove the remainder of the bolt and rethread this for me but the vanos was already off and the front end had to come off
          Last edited by lemoose; 02-23-2022, 03:15 AM.
          2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

Definitiely Timesert and yes you can use the Vanos itself as a drill guide.
            '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
            Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
            Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

I just remembered. I ended up using the drill bit by hand because I couldn’t get the electric drill in there with the rad installed. Took my time and it came out great.

Comment

90* drill or take the front end off
                Attached Files
                '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                  I just remembered. I ended up using the drill bit by hand because I couldn’t get the electric drill in there with the rad installed. Took my time and it came out great.
                  With a hand attachment? Got a pic of what you used?

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
                    Definitiely Timesert and yes you can use the Vanos itself as a drill guide.
                    I.e. I can leave the vanos in and drill only or tap too if the vanos hole has enough clearance?

Comment

Yes, leave the vanos unit on, that'll also help keep the metal shavings out.

But you'll have to remove it to tap it and install the time sert. The timesert will go "underneath" the dowel.
                      ​​​​​​​

Comment

I have 2 of the 90° deals at work, the lower photo shows a Dewalt branded product, right by my thumb it's threaded so you can put a small hand hold in, handy as hell.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220223_150509.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	155442 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220223_150625.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	155443

2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                        Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                        Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                        RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                        Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
                          Yes, leave the vanos unit on, that'll also help keep the metal shavings out.

But you'll have to remove it to tap it and install the time sert. The timesert will go "underneath" the dowel.
                          Or I could use a helicoil? Then no need to remove at all right or still need to remove to tap?

Comment

Originally posted by Arinb12 View Post

With a hand attachment? Got a pic of what you used?
                            Timesert kit came with a drill bit that fits in a tap wrench.

I also have 90 deg drill bit attachment but I didn’t like the lack of control you get when using it. Last thing you want is to let the drill bit catch the aluminum while drilling and marr it. Slow and steady with the drill bit by hand and you can’t mess it up.

Personally I would remove VANOS to make sure you countersink the insert flush with the head (if using timesert).

Comment

Originally posted by Arinb12 View Post

Or I could use a helicoil? Then no need to remove at all right or still need to remove to tap?
                              You have to remove the dowel to tap the threads for either option, then reinstall the dowel once the thread repair insert is installed, this requires removing the vanos unit.

I would not install a helicoil even if it meant fixing the car today vs waiting to order the time sert kit (But I keep kits from M5-M14 in stock for this reason).

Comment

Working...
                              X