No announcement yet.

YFCM Carbon Driveshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the pic. That is not acceptable in my opinion. It looks to be 100% unidrectional carbon. I don't have the means to test this but according to my research the strength across the fibers is dependent mostly on the epoxy which is hard and brittle. I did some hack mechanic testing when I was making my carbon seat floor mounts with unidirectional carbon. It is far stiffer longitudinally in the direction of the fibers. The strength across the fiber orientation wasn't there, hit it with a hammer hard enough it would crack. Now if the fiber tows or groups of strands were lined up it might split in half. I had to make the floor mount heavier by alternating fabrics with different fiber orientations every 4 layers.

You can see lines running around the diameter of the shaft - those are simply polyester thread binders to keep the cloth together. There's no strength in those threads. And the yellow line looks like some sort of kevlar or fiberglass? But that thin tape isn't going to do much.

The tube would be fine unless there was some imperfection in one of the fabric layers like a very small air pocket where epoxy pools. I highly doubt that these tubes are x-rayed or somehow tested to a standard. I also doubt that these shafts were over-built because of cost and added weight.

The F8X OEM driveshaft looks like it is wrapped in kevlar to prevent total separation of the driveshaft which could send razor sharp carbon shards everywhere and cause even more damage. I don't know if the yellow tape on the YCM shaft serves a similar purpose?

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_53268.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.3 KB ID:	254734

Comment

I think we’ve already established that anything other than YMCF isn’t good. I’ll post it again below.

”For those that are unaware, MFactory / YCW Engineering / Michael Yip private labeled YFCM's carbon driveshafts while pretending he owned the patents. Many issues arose from the delivery on a "new" V3 version, which turns out to be a poorly retro-engineered version of the V2 with balancing, vibration and probable ungluing issues.”
      2005 E46 ///M3 Interlagos Blue/Cinnamon

BBS - Recaro - JRZ - PFC - Supersprint - Haimus - Vorshlag - RKP - DMG - Diffsonline - Autosolutions - ​Koyo - Mile End Composites - YFCM - GC

https://www.instagram.com/justanotham4/

Comment

Originally posted by Projecte46m3 View Post
        I think we’ve already established that anything other than YMCF isn’t good. I’ll post it again below.
        Who or what is YMCF?

I think these were always made by YCM / Mfactory and Matt just added a letter to keep people from ordering direct. I've googled YMCF, and nothing comes up. YCM / Mfactory has made carbon driveshafts for a long time.

Last edited by 9kracing; 03-01-2024, 05:25 AM.
        2004 Dinan S3-R M3
        2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

To add further confusion many keep typing YCM when it is really YCW

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Dammit! My bad lol
            2004 Dinan S3-R M3
            2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post

Who or what is YMCF?

I think these were always made by YCM / Mfactory and Matt just added a letter to keep people from ordering direct. I've googled YMCF, and nothing comes up. YCM / Mfactory has made carbon driveshafts for a long time.
              Yi Feng Composite Material Technology Co., Ltd​: https://www.yfcm.com.tw/en/

No, YCW Engineering or MFactory isn't the same as YFCM - Yi Feng Composite Material Technology Co., Ltd. Euroconnex already made that clear via his website and via the note in this original post explaining the situation. The note was not to defer you from ordering directly from YFCM although I could see him wanting you to order from him instead of going direct so he can make a little change on the service upcharge.

More information on the manufacturer differences (authentic vs fake) here: https://euroconnex.co/blogs/the-stri...vs-mfactory-v3

With that said, Euroconnex is just a middleman offering a reselling products instead of you doing the leg work and reaching out to these overseas manufacturers. I'm pretty sure he ordered parts direct from the manufacturer in bulk and sold them individually or via group buys. There are people on this forum that purchased the YFCM with great success. Off the top of mind slavik1988 purchased a YFCM carbon driveshaft from the GB and commented his results and success of the driveshaft throughout random driveshaft posts.

Originally posted by slavik1988 View Post

I run a YFCM carbon driveshaft. I did a before drive in the mountains and then directly after the install. The shifts definitely feel more direct and the clunk is a lot less noticeable. No increase in NVH whatsoever. Installing a 1-piece driveshaft is a PITA. Had to drop the rear differential to get it in.

Euroconnex Note:
              ”For those that are unaware, MFactory / YCW Engineering / Michael Yip private labeled YFCM's carbon driveshafts while pretending he owned the patents. Many issues arose from the delivery on a "new" V3 version, which turns out to be a poorly retro-engineered version of the V2 with balancing, vibration and probable ungluing issues.”
              Last edited by Projecte46m3; 03-01-2024, 01:27 PM.

BBS - Recaro - JRZ - PFC - Supersprint - Haimus - Vorshlag - RKP - DMG - Diffsonline - Autosolutions - ​Koyo - Mile End Composites - YFCM - GC

Comment

Don't give a shit about these, going to with OE F8X DS once our good members have tried it on their car. I'm sure it'll be perfect but just need some measurement and done.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
                  Don't give a shit about these, going to with OE F8X DS once our good members have tried it on their car. I'm sure it'll be perfect but just need some measurement and done.
                  I feel you on that...you can easily source an f8x DS for cheap and have it modified to e46 m3 spec. Probably can save 1k over the YFCM option.

Comment

I feel you on that...you can easily source an f8x DS for cheap and have it modified to e46 m3 spec. Probably can save 1k over the YFCM option.
                    LOL exactly and it should be good enough to support our NA FBO level.

Comment

Exactly. The hardest and most expensive part is the carbon tube. The rest is pretty standard stuff that is readily available.

Considering you're taking the "guts" from an OE part and making some modifications which are relatively straight forward for that particular industry...makes way more sense.

Comment

Yeah my only biggest concern would be getting the DS balanced here in Bahrain after modifying it. So if someone is going to help me get one done for my SMG in the states I'll get it shipped by my freight forwarder.

Comment

LOL exactly and it should be good enough to support our NA FBO level.
                          With that said...let me grab one off ebay before prices skyrocket. LOL

Comment

With that said...let me grab one off ebay before prices skyrocket. LOL
                            I want to order one but i dont know where TF to ship it. If anyone knows a shop in Jacksonville FL that can do this and the length then i can get this done while i am there.

Comment

I want to order one but i dont know where TF to ship it. If anyone knows a shop in Jacksonville FL that can do this and the length then i can get this done while i am there.
                              Try starting a thread the title might grab the attention you need.

But I'll search some shops and ask around for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post

Try starting a thread the title might grab the attention you need.

But I'll search some shops and ask around for you.
                                I did ages ago LOL. I LIT the fire 🤣🤣🤣

F8X M3/M4 CF Drive shaft mod
                                I saw in the What did you do for your M3 today? Thread that member Altaran is installing a modified F8X M4 Carbon fiber Drive Shaft on his E46 M3. I would love to do this for my SMG car and it also looks fund doing this mod myself. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts for this Cost effective mod. I just want to eliminate the
                                Last edited by 0-60motorsports; 03-04-2024, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X