Bavsound Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sid_E46 View Post

Cool to know that its actually possible to upgrade it. Do you happen to know what exactly he does to improve them? The link doesn't work for me.

EDIT : The BM54 is the stock headunit correct? I was hoping there was a way to upgrade the internals of the stock HK amp in the trunk?
    he upgrades the BM54 to send a better/stronger signal to the hk amp via some tda or similar chip (he scrubbed the part number so I never figured out which chip he used). Sounded really nice on my car. but you are still limited to around 40w per channel from the hk amp. The hk unit uses some Philips chip from ST or something iirc. Could you upgrade them? Probably if you found a chip with the same pin out. Will it give more power or better sound, probably not since you are limited by a 12v system. I personally thought the stock hk amp had a really clean sound if not being slightly under powered.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
      Now amplify the speakers properly!
      For the longest time Bavsound highly recommended not amplifying their speaker kits
      Then they ironically teased an amp kit that was made for the same speaker kit
      After years of "it's almost there!" promises, they quietly gave up on it

i've made it a point to never buy anything from them since

Comment

Originally posted by BMWE46M3 View Post
        Did you replace the subs in the rear deck? As far as I know Bavsound no longer offers replacement subs for the E46. So just wondering your plan if you haven't?
        I have the Bavsound Speakers and replaced the HK subs with Rockford Fosgate 6x9’s. It takes some slight modding to get them to fit into the housing. The magnet clears the rear deck holes. They sound better than the HK’s, well worth it and only $60. Plus they are 3 lbs lighter than the HK’s. 😎

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
        Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
        Evolve Eventuri
        - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

For the longest time Bavsound highly recommended not amplifying their speaker kits
          Then they ironically teased an amp kit that was made for the same speaker kit
          After years of "it's almost there!" promises, they quietly gave up on it

i've made it a point to never buy anything from them since
          Yeah, seems like I recall they had some internal small company marketing sorts of issues for a while, which I didn’t attribute to the product. For what they were making, I think they had to charge more than this market was generally ready to pay. As much as I love their Vert product (in hindsight), I was never going to pay MSRP for it (going in). I got lucky and found one on eBay for a number and condition that made it a no brainer. But when you consider the money they saved consumers in product research time, there is really no better option if you want PnP no headache fitment. So that’s kinda been their plight, as far as I can see it. Making products for more cars helped with that, and I really hope they stick it out, make it, and bring back some of those product projects that fell by the wayside, now that they have more financial strength.

maw
          Last edited by maw1124; 03-06-2022, 06:58 AM.

Comment

The bavsound in convertibles sound great. They sound even better when paired with a subwoofer in the ski pass area.

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post

I have the Bavsound Speakers and replaced the HK subs with Rockford Fosgate 6x9’s. It takes some slight modding to get them to fit into the housing. The magnet clears the rear deck holes. They sound better than the HK’s, well worth it and only $60. Plus they are 3 lbs lighter than the HK’s. 😎
              What do you do to make them fit? What mods are involved?

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post

These do not fit on M3 Coupes with the rear electric curtain

Comment

The original 6 X 9 subs are single channel. The Rockford Fosgates pictured above have a tweeter. This would necessarily change sound dynamics if they replaced OEM single channel subs, no?

Comment

Just snip the wires going to the tweeters on any coaxial to just use the woofer. Many allow you to just pull off the tweeter as well.
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Or, if using a LPF around 80-200hz, just leave it be, as the tweeter won't even be powered. That's if using your own dsp or amp. I don't know if factory h/u or factory amp would send a filtered or full signal to the deck "subs".
                      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Just snip the wires going to the tweeters on any coaxial to just use the woofer. Many allow you to just pull off the tweeter as well.
                        Yup, this is what I was thinking too. Thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.wReckless View Post

Regards
                          Minor trimming of the plastic around the face of the speaker and slightly enlarging the holes so they line up with the housing. I will post some photos to show what I did.

Originally posted by Mayan-Viking View Post
                          The original 6 X 9 subs are single channel. The Rockford Fosgates pictured above have a tweeter. This would necessarily change sound dynamics if they replaced OEM single channel subs, no?
                          Honestly you can't even notice there's additional tweeters in the trunk. These subs sound way better than the HK's, I had to address several rattles from the increased bass.

You can always do what Tyler suggested.
                          Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 03-16-2022, 05:13 PM.
                          Evolve Eventuri

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.wReckless View Post
                            Regards
                            Here ya go…

Trim the plastic piece on all sides of the screw holes. This will allow the speaker to sit flush inside the enclosure. I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel.

At that point you will see how the holes need to be modified to fit properly. Put two screws on one side and mark the opposite side that needs modified.

All done and ready to install. I used some small washers with the screws beings the holes were enlarged a bit. Also the two plastic push clips rattle with the added bass. I used a hot glue gun to secure them from rattling. For $60 it’s a nice upgrade from the stock HK’s.

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 03-16-2022, 09:35 PM.
                            Evolve Eventuri

Comment

No need to snip wires. The amp only sends a low pass to those speakers anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

No need to snip wires. The amp only sends a low pass to those speakers anyway.
                                Great intel, everyone. And thanks to Wolf for the detailed pics. I just purchased the speakers and look forward to doing this retrofit. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                                X