Bavsound Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Bavsound Review

I have to say, I was very skeptical installing this setup due to the fact wiring is something I am not really familiar with and was quite worried about taking my whole rear interior out, but it was a breeze of a installation. Instructions were really easy to understand and the overall quality of the product made it a fun install. Regarding the product, I absolutely love it, I originally had the factory Harman Kardon setup but wanted a bit more base and with a bit more clear sound and they delivered everything I wanted. Overall I am very pleased with the install and up next is a new head unit!
    Attached Files

Now amplify the speakers properly!
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
      Now amplify the speakers properly!
      That's definitely the plan, I just love that OEM look and trying to find a good simplistic setup 😅

Comment

I hear you. I've always done custom setups, but with my new e90 and the more challenging electrical/audio system, I'm opting to stay as OEM as possible. I'm using bavsound speakers in that one, but still an aftermarket amplifier as that is the most crucial upgrade you can make - even the mediocre factory speakers will sound quite good when they have access to 50w+ rms per channel.

The E46 is much easier to modify. You can easy steal the wiring you need from the harness or find a harness conversion that will give you the RCAs and speaker wires you need to work with a 4 channel amplifier.

I don't like class D amps, but they're more efficient and much smaller, and you'd be able to put one in the factory location easily for that OE look. I'm sticking with my favorite class a/b, so mine won't be as well hidden.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
          I hear you. I've always done custom setups, but with my new e90 and the more challenging electrical/audio system, I'm opting to stay as OEM as possible. I'm using bavsound speakers in that one, but still an aftermarket amplifier as that is the most crucial upgrade you can make - even the mediocre factory speakers will sound quite good when they have access to 50w+ rms per channel.

The E46 is much easier to modify. You can easy steal the wiring you need from the harness or find a harness conversion that will give you the RCAs and speaker wires you need to work with a 4 channel amplifier.

I don't like class D amps, but they're more efficient and much smaller, and you'd be able to put one in the factory location easily for that OE look. I'm sticking with my favorite class a/b, so mine won't be as well hidden.
          Sounds good, appreciate the information. Definitely audio knowledge is something i'm not very strong at and learning as I go, but appreciate all the help I can get. 😅. Overall goal just modernizing the car the best I can.

Comment

Did you replace the subs in the rear deck? As far as I know Bavsound no longer offers replacement subs for the E46. So just wondering your plan if you haven't?

Comment

Imo, the 6x9s are a waste. The doors' 6.25-6.5" can play easily down to 80-100hz, then get a proper 10" or 12" to LPF at that point and get real bass (down to 20-30hz). The 6x9s probably only go down to 50hz and with no real authority even if ampd with 75-150w rms.

Comment

Is it possible to modify the stock HK amp to push more power?
                2003.5 E46 M3 Silver Grey/Cinnamon

MCS - Vorshlag Plates - SSv1- SS Dual 2.5" Sec.2 - SS (Hamann) Street Sec.3 - 3.91 Gears - BBS E88s - 996 Brembo - PSMax - SDW Monoball - VinceBar - DMG - Haimus CSL - Karbonius - HTE Tuning - AEM 50-1200

http://www.instagram.com/sid_e46/
                Journal: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...grey-speed-run

Comment

OP is in a convertible. He knows his next step is the ski pass sub and an amp, from this prior thread… https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...m3-convertible. The discussion of 6x9s and deck subwoofers does not apply.

EDIT… for a time, I ran the BavSound with ski-pass sub on the factory head unit and amps (HK Nav). It was plenty powerful (sub not in the trunk, so that helped) and sounded great actually. What was missing was control — no separate sub or crossover control from the head unit, so that made things tough. A modern (Dynavin) head unit with a dedicated sub channel solved that. The extra 4-way (4x75 Hertz) cabin amp was a bonus, and probably overkill for the BavSound speakers. As I’ve said before, I’m surprised I haven’t blown any yet.

maw
                  Last edited by maw1124; 02-28-2022, 06:50 PM.

Comment

I have this MATCH PP 62DSP in the e46 with the original speakers and sub in the ski bag. That's wonderful...

I would like to try the Bavsound on it :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Sid_E46 View Post
                      Is it possible to modify the stock HK amp to push more power?
                      I had issues with my OEM sound setup when I purchased my car. Was getting a high pitch digital squeal. After research I found someone named Baris from the M3 Cutters who does repairs and upgrades. I sent him my BM54 and he upgraded it for me, I paid for higher RMS as an upgrade at the time since I needed mine repaired.

Check here,

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

For anybody thinking of ordering this kit, be sure to carefully guide the door speaker wiring.

I had a rear speaker wire coincidentally hang exactly where one of the screws to reinstall the panel fastened. After a month of driving, the screw had severed the wire and I mysteriously had no audio. Took a lot of misdiagnosing before tearing the car up and realizing what had happened!

Last edited by freshprince2421; 03-05-2022, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by freshprince2421 View Post
                          For anybody thinking of ordering this kit, be sure to carefully guide the door speaker wiring.

I had a rear speaker wire coincidentally hang exactly where one of the screws to reinstall the panel fastened. After a month of driving, the screw had severed the wire and I mysteriously had no audio. Took a lot of misdiagnosing before tearing the car up and realizing what had happened!

The Bavsound upgrades have been on my to do list for….almost 8 years, but if I do this eventually will hopefully remember this tip
                          E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post
                            I had issues with my OEM sound setup when I purchased my car. Was getting a high pitch digital squeal. After research I found someone named Baris from the M3 Cutters who does repairs and upgrades. I sent him my BM54 and he upgraded it for me, I paid for higher RMS as an upgrade at the time since I needed mine repaired.
                            This guy... xkalibar@gmail.com ... Baris Saban... he's still in business as of 4/21... I reached out to him about doing the same thing on my S55 Bose Amp. Communication was sketchy though. Maybe I'll see if Becker Autosound in NJ can do something similar since that one doesn't have an easy PnP head unit upgrade. BavSound and Dynavin are worth their weight in gold for that.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post

Check here,

https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa...dW5taucyu1AwPx

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
                              Cool to know that its actually possible to upgrade it. Do you happen to know what exactly he does to improve them? The link doesn't work for me.

EDIT : The BM54 is the stock headunit correct? I was hoping there was a way to upgrade the internals of the stock HK amp in the trunk?
                              Last edited by Sid_E46; 03-05-2022, 08:08 PM.
                              2003.5 E46 M3 Silver Grey/Cinnamon

MCS - Vorshlag Plates - SSv1- SS Dual 2.5" Sec.2 - SS (Hamann) Street Sec.3 - 3.91 Gears - BBS E88s - 996 Brembo - PSMax - SDW Monoball - VinceBar - DMG - Haimus CSL - Karbonius - HTE Tuning - AEM 50-1200

http://www.instagram.com/sid_e46/
                              Journal: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...grey-speed-run

Comment

Working...
                              X