oil analisis - few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
    Could it be tuning related as well? Cats aren't in the headers, so maybe euro cars run leaner (and thus hotter). I'm not sure if I'm just trying to look for something that isn't there, but I swear that every time I see a driving video with a view of the dash on a euro car, the oil temp is much closer to 12o clock than on US cars.
    I have euro headers+ euro cats and the euro DME flash and my car runs like at 10 o clock most of the time. only in the hottest of texas summers does it ever creep beyond 12 o clock. I understand that fuel in many european countries is actually higher octane than what we get in the states. If you look at peoples ignition adaptation values it seems to be the trend that most peoples cars, at least in this (mostly US based) forum, are pulling ignition timing. might be the case then that euro cars are getting full advancement which might be contributing (definitely wouldn't help) to higher combustion chamber temperatures and consequently accelerated head gasket wear. I wonder what values the fellas at m3cutters are getting...
    2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post

Interesting fact, the term third world country came during a time of Communism vs. Capitalism. If your country wasn't a Communist or Capitalist society you were considered a "third world country". Ridiculous if you ask me.
      Well we're neither Capitalist nor communist so it works
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by lemoose View Post
        I have euro headers+ euro cats and the euro DME flash and my car runs like at 10 o clock most of the time. only in the hottest of texas summers does it ever creep beyond 12 o clock. I understand that fuel in many european countries is actually higher octane than what we get in the states. If you look at peoples ignition adaptation values it seems to be the trend that most peoples cars, at least in this (mostly US based) forum, are pulling ignition timing. might be the case then that euro cars are getting full advancement which might be contributing (definitely wouldn't help) to higher combustion chamber temperatures and consequently accelerated head gasket wear. I wonder what values the fellas at m3cutters are getting...
        I think many are pulling timing more due to poorer engine health and lack of maintenance and age/mileage rather than just gasoline quality/octane level. My guess anyway. My car is 0s across the board and I use shit CA gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
          My car is 0s across the board and I use shit CA gas.
          On 91 octane????
          2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

With 10% corn

Comment

Originally posted by lemoose View Post
              Europe uses Research Octane Number whereas the US uses aki index average of the Ron and Mon ratings. Fuel is very similar to non-ca shit gas here probably around 93 for their premium vs ours if rated via the same metric. I don't know their ethanol or oxygen content but there's no way the dme or knock sensors would permit full advance on such a high compression motor combusting mid-grade fuel.

I'd bet it's the timing or knock values that are different but just a guess.
              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post

Interesting fact, the term third world country came during a time of Communism vs. Capitalism. If your country wasn't a Communist or Capitalist society you were considered a "third world country". Ridiculous if you ask me.
                It's based on technological advancement, not government types. Afghanistan is third world because they live in mud huts. Qatar is first world because there is an up to date advancement of their quality of living. Neither are communist or capitalist. We have to categorize everything as this is how the human mind works. We just need reference points and there is nothing ridiculous about that.

What I find ridiculous is that an oil analysis lead to a head gasket job without symptoms. Oil analysis labs are a gimic that don't know they're a gimic. At first I was a believer bit they are always so inconsistent and it's random on whether the data actually correlates to the real engine conditions. Is there something I missed?
                This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
                X