Front timing cover leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front timing cover leak?

I'm chasing an oil leak from the front of the engine, I believe it's the timing chain tensioner but it could also be the timing cover.

It is not the valve cover or vanos gasket. How common is the timing cover leaking? How easy is it to repair/DIY?

What are the basic steps

Maybe front crankshaft seal ?

Comment

I have a leak from the front of my engine as well.

For me, I think it was the VANOS Accumulator line. I just replaced it and we shall see.

It could be your tensioner like you said. A front main seal i feel like would spray oil everywhere so if its just from one side then start with the tensioner

Comment

How high up is the leak? If it's only at the bottom, it's likely the front main seal. If it's at the top, could be vanos (though you said it isn't), vanos line, timing chain tensioner or the cover itself.

I literally just replaced my front main seal yesterday. It was weeping pretty bad prior to replacing.
        Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
          How high up is the leak? If it's only at the bottom, it's likely the front main seal. If it's at the top, could be vanos (though you said it isn't), vanos line, timing chain tensioner or the cover itself.

I literally just replaced my front main seal yesterday. It was weeping pretty bad prior to replacing.
          It's higher up..
          ​​​​​​How easy was replacing the front main seal? What did it entail.

Comment

Originally posted by Arinb12 View Post

It's higher up..
            ​​​​​​How easy was replacing the front main seal? What did it entail.
            I followed cobra thread here. It's not an easy job. Google the DIY. Pelican parts also has one on their site.

Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Working...
            X