No announcement yet.

S54 Stroker build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the OP ever state the budget for his build?

I did some quick maths on my ideal S54 engine build and it comes out to roughly 11.5k minus labor and a refresh with OE internal parts such as rings, valve seals, bearings, cam followers and machining work.

Parts list:

CSL Intake with MAP
    Full SS V1 2.5" catted exhaust
    Schrick 280/272 cams
    Beisan VANOS refurb
    DINAN Throttle Bodies
    PCS Tune
    Last edited by Slideways; 05-02-2020, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post

i would do twin system all the way only because i prefer the sound, look of a dual system and addiotinal clearance (though not always an issue) and easier to keep quiet and emmisions clean. Once you merge the two collector pipes (using X, H or Y) at the appropriate location then its basically about just about total pipe area and minimising back pressure so the single vs dual is 6 of one of half a dozen of the other. The single has a theortical benefit to reducing back pressure for a given flow area but its going to be pretty small to negligible IMO
      wow thats great info, thank you digger

ill just stick with my corsa cat back and Ill look into collector pipes and just stay ssv1. I agree I want to keep stock looks
      Last edited by M/Anthony; 05-02-2020, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
        Did the OP ever state the budget for his build?

I did some quick maths on my ideal S54 engine build and it comes out to roughly 11.5k minus labor and a refresh with OE internal parts such as rings, valve seals, bearings, cam followers and machining work.

Parts list:

CSL Intake with MAP
        Full SS V1 2.5" catted exhaust
        Schrick 280/272 cams
        Beisan VANOS refurb
        DINAN Throttle Bodies
        PCS Tune
        VANOS completely done already 5k vanos job when I had the car
        I have a corsa 2.5" cat back already
        I won't be going DINAN CA Technologies International and their shaftless throttle bodies I may go for
        Its gonna be like 15k for the engine
        i don't want to state a budget because Ill get told yes or no, I want to see how far I can go the point of this thread is to see how far i can actually push this engine without making a race one
        it just needs to be in a car by December
        Last edited by M/Anthony; 05-02-2020, 07:24 PM.

Comment

is there a detailed CSL Airbox conversion thread?
          I dont want alpha N

Comment

map is only used as correction on these cars, so you will be running alpha-n. with a well adjusted tune the map is mostly unneeded, so don’t stress too much

Comment

Originally posted by lapoune View Post
              map is only used as correction on these cars, so you will be running alpha-n. with a well adjusted tune the map is mostly unneeded, so don’t stress too much
              Ive only heard bad things ab it

Comment

to be clear im not saying to not run a map sensor, but it will not fix a bad tune. the map sensor is only used to help correct specific situations, and with csl airbox you have no choice but to run alpha-n (w map or not)
                Last edited by lapoune; 05-02-2020, 08:19 PM.

Comment

I'll bet Fletcher (or any proven engine builder) will not do this. It's like bringing a cow to your favorite steak house.

Originally posted by M/Anthony View Post
                  I’m going to try and our source the majority of components myself, then just have him do some custom work, and put my bottom block together.
                  I’m hoping I’ll be able to consult him in my build without him making me pay, Id figure it’s around 10k for the majority of parts, the only thing I would really want him to do is block work like bore it then, balance and assemble it.
                  then again that may be tough, and he might not do that. I’m not trying to write out a $20k check when we can outsource and save $3k and slowly buy and add parts and just pay for one off custom parts and labor.
                  Everyhting should be completed and swapped into a car by December, I have time and out sourcing will just be cheaper and work better to save money and to not waste it on one big check.
                  i would hope someone like fletcher would understand and be ok with that, but I’ve never dealt with engine builders or much with this industry before.
                  2005 M3 - SGM, 6MT, Impuls Cloth, Slicktop
                  2022 M3 - BRG, Tartufo, xDrive​

Comment

is there a detailed CSL Airbox conversion thread?
                    I dont want alpha N
                    CSL conversions are Alpha N
                    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

CSL conversions are Alpha N
                      I thought you could just run complete CSL software and not get an alpha N tune

Comment

With a stroker, I should be increasing oil flow to not starve my valve train, is there a way to upgrade my oil pump but not go dry sump? not worth 7K
                        https://www.achillesmotorsports.com/...uopsk-s54c.htm ?
                        Last edited by M/Anthony; 05-03-2020, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Also, Just checked VAC's and Achilles website but Cat Cams make a 296/288 13.0mm and 12.75 lift.
                          This seems very optimal due to the fact that high lift will be better in for torque and power below 8300 rpm and while still having a good upper powerband?
                          Any opinions on this?
                          Last edited by M/Anthony; 05-03-2020, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Also Achilles motorsports make valve springs designed for up to 14mm lift cams,

https://www.achillesmotorsports.com/...vsk-s54-14.htm

Comment

With a stroker, I should be increasing oil flow to not starve my valve train, is there a way to upgrade my oil pump but not go dry sump? not worth 7K
                              https://www.achillesmotorsports.com/...uopsk-s54c.htm ?
                              a stroker has nothing to do with oil delivery and being starved.

VAC make a higher volume pump but I don’t think it’s necessary for a NA engine
                              https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac...b32-p1033.aspx

Also, Just checked VAC's and Achilles website but Cat Cams make a 296/288 13.0mm and 12.75 lift.
                              This seems very optimal due to the fact that high lift will be better in for torque and power below 8300 rpm and while still having a good upper powerband?
                              Any opinions on this?

Those cam durations are more for power north of 8000 rpm and you’d probably make better torque with less powerband compromises using the schrick 288/280 14mm cams but it’s quite a bit harder on the valve train.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post

a stroker has nothing to do with oil delivery and being starved.

VAC make a higher volume pump but I don’t think it’s necessary for a NA engine
                                https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac...b32-p1033.aspx

Those cam durations are more for power north of 8000 rpm and you’d probably make better torque with less powerband compromises using the schrick 288/280 14mm cams but it’s quite a bit harder on the valve train.
                                Stick with the 288/280 for good 8300 max rpm power, is there a benfit to running higher lift cams?

Comment

Working...
                                X