No announcement yet.

S54 Stroker build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, anyone can have up to 7 different tunes they can swap between on the fly using mssmapper.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Drop the guys at Turner Motorsports Service a line - I know they've done several S54 strokers.
      '01 M3, JB/IR, SS, TCK DA, Apex, TMS CSL, HTE, 4:10 gears - original owner
      '00 slicktop Touring converting to full M3 Touring

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
        Yeah, anyone can have up to 7 different tunes they can swap between on the fly using mssmapper.
        Is it just software that hosts maps, you plug into the OBDII port select map and go pretty much?

Comment

In the case of valves, would going Inconel be the best way? I know Ferrea is a well-reputed brand, but how does Supertech fare as well? I'm assuming that stainless steel is the best way to go and not titanium? Would it make sense to have a different valve material for the exhaust side to handle heat better? Finally, oversized valves?
          Last edited by M/Anthony; 04-23-2020, 06:11 PM.

Comment

I know a local e46 M3 race car made 400rwhp.
            Don't know too much about the build except it has a VAC stroker kit, motec and runs e85.

Comment

What is the budget? The DINAN Carbahn 3.3L stroker kit can be had for the ultra low price of 13-15k - https://carbahnautoworks.com/product...ngine-rebuild/

I have not seen many full rebuilds work out well honestly. From memory, Dafoe on M3F had a pretty extensive S54 build with a bunch of coated parts and I believe it had some issue with valve stem seals. And it might have ruined a set of Schrick cams. There was no conclusion to that build. There were also a few other M3F forum members with extensive builds where the threads stopped after a major issue.

I feel like a refreshed stock S54 with cams, csl intake and a full stepped SS exhaust is a great, reliable solution versus building out the internals with a bunch of aftermarket parts. The refreshed setup should get to the ~375whp mark on pump gas.
              Last edited by Slideways; 04-23-2020, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                What is the budget? The DINAN Carbahn 3.3L stroker kit can be had for the ultra low price of 13-15k - https://carbahnautoworks.com/product...ngine-rebuild/

I have not seen many full rebuilds work out well honestly. From memory, Dafoe on M3F had a pretty extensive S54 build with a bunch of coated parts and I believe it had some issue with valve stem seals. And it might have ruined a set of Schrick cams. There was no conclusion to that build. There were also a few other M3F forum members with extensive builds where the threads stopped after a major issue.

I feel like a refreshed stock S54 with cams, csl intake and a full stepped SS exhaust is a great, reliable solution versus building out the internals with a bunch of aftermarket parts. The refreshed setup should get to the ~375whp mark on pump gas.
                This. Engine building is always treacherous, and the farther you stray from OE the more can and will go wrong:

But these are S54s and S54 owners we're talking about here. If we were pragmatic, we'd probably own ZHPs.

Comment

Partee Racing has the engine builder than built BMW's race engines during the s54 era. If we were doing an engine build, that's where I'd sent it to be done. Carbahn or Lang will likely also get you good results, but IMO Partee is in a league of their own.

I would avoid VAC like the plague. They built an engine for a friend of mine, and used too much gasket maker, clogging a passageway. Their fix, so that they didn't have to remove/disassemble the engine again, was to drill a new oil passageway in the block and then do an oil change to "address" (nope) the oil shavings that created inside the engine. VAC par

The potential for things to go horribly wrong goes up exponentially with internal components other than cams. I like to DIY many things, but I don't think I'd be comfortable DIYing an engine build with anything other than stock parts-- I know just enough to know that I don't know what I should be looking for/checking for as I go.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i
                  2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Well, we've gone up to 392 whp on 288 280s and 12:1 compression only. A stroker will definitely bridge the gap with the right tune. Maybe even half a point of compression up to 12.5:1 on E85.. Will surely get you there.
                    Im not a fan of strokers since they cost way too much (factor in the 5k crank) and the s54 is already out of square. So stroking it even more will further skew that, and they don't live that long... Maybe 50k?
                    Last edited by HassanEido; 04-24-2020, 06:12 AM.
                    385.7whp 288.8 wtq :
                    -CSL airbox ( custom)
                    -280 272 Cat cams
                    -Custom SSV2, modified for a bigger collector
                    -Custom Section 1 2 and 3: oversized to 2.5 inch and en E9xM Xpipe
                    -TMS pullies
                    -Electric Fan
                    -HTE performance Tune :P

PM for performance Tunes

IG: https://www.instagram.com/hte_performance_tuning/

Comment

Originally posted by HassanEido View Post
                      ...... Im not a fan of strokers since they cost way too much (factor in the 5k crank) and the s54 is already out of square. So stroking it even more will further skew that, and they don't live that long... Maybe 50k?
                      I'm with Hassan on this. Remember higher compression is likely going to require expensive 100 octane fuel at $10 per gallon.

Before swapping to the Bimmerworld race exhaust (noticeable performance difference) from the Supersprint race exhaust with stock compression, stock rods/pistons, Dinan intake, Schrick 288/280 cams and a EPIC tune, I'm at 356.61 whp and 260.16 foot pounds. I had an intermittent VANOS issue that was recently solved with a new plug as well. I need to get it back on the dyno to see if the numbers have improved with exhaust and VANOS fix. I've got to think some head work, forged internals ($2,500 for rods and pistons), maybe a CSL style intake, balance & blueprint from a quality builder like Partee would get me pretty close to 400WHP.

Feff
                      Last edited by Feffman; 04-24-2020, 07:58 AM.
                      MVP Track Time

Comment

Feffman Just run e85 higher compression has never been easierπŸ‘ you'll need a pump upgrade and injectors and a tune (not a fan of piggybacks).
                        ​​​​​​​A csl intake is a must for your goals
                        385.7whp 288.8 wtq :
                        -CSL airbox ( custom)
                        -280 272 Cat cams
                        -Custom SSV2, modified for a bigger collector
                        -Custom Section 1 2 and 3: oversized to 2.5 inch and en E9xM Xpipe
                        -TMS pullies
                        -Electric Fan
                        -HTE performance Tune :P

PM for performance Tunes

IG: https://www.instagram.com/hte_performance_tuning/

Comment

E85 and 13:1 and proper head work, schrick 14mm 288/280 cams plus the usual suspects

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Looks like MSSMapper will allow you to do this.
                            Ahhh, sheesh, yeah...I completely forgot-derp. I need to hang out in the coding/tuning section more often-lol.

Comment

Originally posted by M/Anthony View Post
                              In the case of valves, would going Inconel be the best way? I know Ferrea is a well-reputed brand, but how does Supertech fare as well? I'm assuming that stainless steel is the best way to go and not titanium? Would it make sense to have a different valve material for the exhaust side to handle heat better? Finally, oversized valves?
                              Inconel is used widely in F1 cars, and really unnecessary for probably all but the most extreme NA applications...it's mostly used to handle the extreme heat in FI applications. Ferrea valves are fine as well, and yes, stick w/stainless valves. Titanium isn't needed/necessary or even desirable for 99% of street applications. Use the money saved from not buying fancy titanium/Inconel parts and spend it on quality port work.
                              Last edited by stash1; 04-25-2020, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stash1 View Post

Inconel is used widely in F1 cars, and really unnecessary for probably all but the most extreme NA applications...it's mostly used to handle the extreme heat in FI applications. Ferrea valves are fine as well, and yes, stick w/stainless valves. Titanium isn't needed/necessary or even desirable for 99% of street applications. Use the money saved from not buying fancy titanium/Inconel parts and spend it on quality pot work.
                                Or... you can do both.

Comment

Working...
                                X