Remote key locking won't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote key locking won't work

Dealer is telling me they can't get the key to initialize to work the remote central locking and don't know why despite attempting to diagnose the issue.

Any thoughts what it could be? It's a brand new keybfrom the dealer - works the physical locks and starts the car but will not work the remote locking.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Google "GM5 module". Yours might need to be repaired or resoldered.

Comment

You may have to replace the latch module inside the drivers door. It’s pretty easy to do if you have small hands. There are plenty of YouTube vids on how. The dealership will want to charge an entire day of labor to do it. I was quoted over 2 grand. I was able to lock the doors with the button on the key but had to turn the key to unlock. Do the buttons inside lock and unlock the doors?

Comment

Originally posted by Halftim3 View Post
        Google "GM5 module". Yours might need to be repaired or resoldered.
        I don't think it's GM5 issue as OP doesn't have problem of using the console central lock button. It's either the key was not programmed correctly or the RF Amp/wiring cable issue

Comment

Originally posted by CybrSlydr View Post
          Dealer is telling me they can't get the key to initialize to work the remote central locking and don't know why despite attempting to diagnose the issue.

Any thoughts what it could be? It's a brand new keybfrom the dealer - works the physical locks and starts the car but will not work the remote locking.

, Understand that the new key doesn't , Do you have any old key that works? If not, what's the history of this problem?

Comment

If the key was programmed to your EWS there is a process you do on your own to get the locks to work. If you have 2 keys you have to do them back to back or the second one will no longer work. I did this several years ago when I thought I lost my master key.
            2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Anthracite Impuse
            Fabspeed Headers | Euro Sec 1 | OE Sec 2 | Scorpion Sec 3 | Beisan | Mini Battery | Fortune Auto 7k/12k | Hotchkis Front SB | Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 | Yellow Tag Rack

2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Black Nappa Leather
            Karbonius | Supersprint | Cat Cams | Beisan | Fikse Wheels | Mile End Composites | AST 5200 | Hotchkis | Brembo | Recaro | Rouge SMF | RTD | Yellow Tag Rack | HTE Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Rkymtnrider View Post
              You may have to replace the latch module inside the drivers door. It’s pretty easy to do if you have small hands. There are plenty of YouTube vids on how. The dealership will want to charge an entire day of labor to do it. I was quoted over 2 grand. I was able to lock the doors with the button on the key but had to turn the key to unlock. Do the buttons inside lock and unlock the doors?
              Yes, the console button does work tonlock/unlock the doors.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

, Understand that the new key doesn't , Do you have any old key that works? If not, what's the history of this problem?
                The key I used a long time ago stopped working. I assumed it was a dead battery, so I cut the key open and replaced the battery. It didn't work, so I just assumed it was my shoddy workmanship.

Fast forward a few years to today and the key works in the physical tumblers, but they can't get it to work with the remote function.

I have another key, but am not sure if it's the valet key or second key.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

I don't think it's GM5 issue as OP doesn't have problem of using the console central lock button. It's either the key was not programmed correctly or the RF Amp/wiring cable issue
                  They said it could be an antenna issue or a security system issue.

I did replace the door lock a few ueqrs ago because I had the issue with the key spinning in the lock in the door.

Comment

Antenna amplifier is really easy to get to. It's behind the driver's side c pillar. Good idea to check that all the connectors are seating correctly before doing other stuff.

I recently had my rear interior out and the screw ring thing for the radio am/fm antenna was undone, so it's possible that something isn't connected correctly.
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Good news is they waived the diagnostic fee. So, I'm just out the price for the key.

Comment

Originally posted by CybrSlydr View Post
                        The key I used a long time ago stopped working. I assumed it was a dead battery, so I cut the key open and replaced the battery. It didn't work, so I just assumed it was my shoddy workmanship.
                        This helps to explain that I think the root cause is not about the keys, but the antenna amp wiring. This happened to my 323iT wagon once and I found the harness with 2 or 3 wires broken from many trunk openings. Don't know if the M3 have the same sort of cable harness that being moved/twisted when trunk opened.

Comment

OP, if you know someone with working M3, then just program your key to their car (follow their working key) and see if its remote control buttons work or not. If it works then the issue is your wirings.

Comment

So, I've since replaced the broken pieces in the lock and fixed it. Key locks and unlocks the door and will also lock the passenger door. Key fob still a no-go.

Next idea is it's the RF antenna in the c-pillar or the gm5 module - any idea which one we think it might be more? I'm leaning towards the RF antenna.​ Is it underneath the sharkfin under the headliner?

Comment

How much was a new new key if you don't mind? I am in the same situation.

Comment

Working...
                              X