Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favorite solution for cleaning the interior vinyls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your favorite solution for cleaning the interior vinyls?

Hi all,

Just wanted to see what kind of solutions/products you guys can recommend for cleaning the interior vinyl bits such as the dashboard, or parts of the door card that aren't finished in leather. I have some very slight discoloration/lightening on part of my dashboard and wanted to see if there was any way to get it looking more homogeneous. Also some scuffs on the bottoms of my door cards from people who are careless with their feet. Definitely don't want anything that will add shine or gloss, just want to make it look freshened up.

Thanks
    2003.5 ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue - Black - SMG Delete

Check out Tbonem3 build thread. I believe he used 303
    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Nonsense by Chemical Guys. No smell, cleans well, and leaves the dash matte.
      Last edited by Cronenberged; 03-18-2022, 05:10 PM.

Comment

I only use 303 to dress/treat/refresh plastic/vinyl/rubber. For the interior, after it soaks in, I then do a light clean with well diluted P&S Xpress cleaner (it's fantastic). You want a natural, matte look after the cleaning. protectants give too glossy of a finish, but they protect well for the long term, esp for cars without tint or not garaged enough.

That said, if you've the patience, after the first wipe down with 303 wipes, if you go over everything again as the 303 wipe has mostly dried up, you can attain a much more matte look, and you're leaving the UV protection. It still doesn't look as new/matte as a true cleaner will leave the surfaces.

No matter what product you use, I would recommend diluting or applying with a MF towel that is already damp with water.
        Last edited by Tbonem3; 03-18-2022, 10:35 AM.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
          I only use 303 to dress/treat/refresh plastic/vinyl/rubber. For the interior, after it soaks in, I then do a light clean with well diluted P&S Xpress cleaner (it's fantastic). You want a natural, matte look after the cleaning. protectants give too glossy of a finish, but they protect well for the long term, esp for cars without tint or not garaged enough.

That said, if you've the patience, after the first wipe down with 303 wipes, if you go over everything again as the 303 wipe has mostly dried up, you can attain a much more matte look, and you're leaving the UV protection. It still doesn't look as new/matte as a true cleaner will leave the surfaces.

No matter what product you use, I would recommend diluting or applying with a MF towel that is already damp with water.
          Awesome thanks. I'm garaged year round so definitely don't want a glossy protectant.

Do you apply the 303 directly to the surface and then wipe, or onto the MF itself? If you are doing 303 followed by P&S are you still diluting the 303 or only the final P&S wipe? Is well diluted more like 50/50 or 25/75?

Does "soak in" just mean that it no longer gives off a wet appearance or is it better to just let it rest for a while to make sure it really has soaked?

Sorry if these are dumb questions lol, I'm a bit of a detailing newbie.

Comment

No worries, and my way is not super scientific, just what makes sense to me. I do not dilute 303 or apply it with mf towel, wet or dry. I spray directly, maybe apply with a foam applicator, but mostly use and prefer their wipes.

I'll let it sit as long as I can really, just hoping it works into the material well, before I clean the surface with damp mf and (diluted) p&s xpress.

Comment

A microfiber with extremely diluted dish soap (one time, to remove sheen), then wipe down with a damp cloth to remove any soap

After that, occasional wipe down with a damp microfiber (maybe like once every 3 months)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01015.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	159797

Comment

Use nextett plastic deep cleaner to clean, I promise you will not be dissapointed, the best I have ever used. If you're not happy with the finish afterward (still faded) use 303 protectant and follow the directions and buff with a clean towel afterward and it will look amazing. 303 is not really a cleaner so use deep cleaner first (though they do have a seperate cleaner iirc).

Never once been impressed with chemical guys, i tossed out an entire bottle of interior cleaner it was so useless. Ineffective, weird smell, residue. Don't understand the following for their stuff at all, just a bunch of impressive marketing gimmicks.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Rabbit View Post
                  A microfiber with extremely diluted dish soap (one time, to remove sheen), then wipe down with a damp cloth to remove any soap

After that, occasional wipe down with a damp microfiber (maybe like once every 3 months)
                  Honestly, it can be this simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post
                    Use nextett plastic deep cleaner to clean, I promise you will not be dissapointed, the best I have ever used. If you're not happy with the finish afterward (still faded) use 303 protectant and follow the directions and buff with a clean towel afterward and it will look amazing. 303 is not really a cleaner so use deep cleaner first (though they do have a seperate cleaner iirc).

Never once been impressed with chemical guys, i tossed out an entire bottle of interior cleaner it was so useless. Ineffective, weird smell, residue. Don't understand the following for their stuff at all, just a bunch of impressive marketing gimmicks.
                    CG is straight trash.
                    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

So glad to read through this and not see anyone pushing anything shiny/glossy.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i
                      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Clean and shine from Shine supply. Perfect balance between a cleaner and conditioner.
                        06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Ammo NYC Lather Interior Cleaner is also another good one.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses guys

Comment

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post
                              Ammo NYC Lather Interior Cleaner is also another good one.
                              Most of the ammo stuff is great (I especially like ammo hydrate), just wish it wasn't so damn expensive. Might give lather a try.

I've been using nextzett cockpit premium for these types of surfaces and it works great.
                              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X