Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=PurelliCondoms;n196468]
    Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
    This is the neat part of composites...you can target reinforcement and change the properties by using different weights and weaves of fabric.

On the bottom of my splitter...I laid up strips of unidirectional tape front to rear under the bottom layer to provide more stiffness in that direction only. Again, twice as stiff as using a twill weave and less epoxy consumption. I believe this to better optimize weight vs using more layers over the entire splitter or bolting on aluminum L channel.

So I would like to apply this targeted reinforcement to the front plate. Any input is welcome!

I think the best idea for rigidity without sacrificing weight is to scallop those areas and create tunnels. Much like the one pictured here. Not only do you get an aerodynamic advantage creating a low pressure zone in the wheel arch, but it also increases stiffness. Too many benefits to pass up there.
    Any pics of your track car? Did you ended up doing a full cage? I remember I sold you one of my roll bar kit back in the RIP M3forum.net days
    2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
    2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/Black 6mt
    2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post

Any pics of your track car? Did you ended up doing a full cage? I remember I sold you one of my roll bar kit back in the RIP M3forum.net days
      Hey man! Yes I did end up doing a full cage, she’s full race car now. Here’s a couple pics! Click image for larger version

Name:	DFD551D0-8B18-44B5-9DD1-A3313576B1ED.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	196477 Click image for larger version

Name:	11069F3D-54B4-439D-9600-0EB95610DC64.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	196478

Comment

Working...
      X